Page 1 of 2
DimeShreder1
891 IQ
Ok guys i recently bought a rg 170 for dirt cheap..... stock everything i want to mod the SH** out of this guitar to make it a bad-a i def want new pickups i want kinda a dont laugh i jsut like there sound but Avenged sevenfold sound.... also its a little bit older model and it doesnt have a fret board like your modern day ibanezs its 24 fret also wanr new inlays and def better tuners HELP ME GUYS!!
Guitars:
Ibanez Prestige RG652AHM
Ibanez Prestige RG1527
Ibanez RGT42
Schecter Hellraiser C7
83 Peavey Patriot Special

Amps:
EVH 5150iii 50watt head
Line 6 Spider Valve HD100 MKii
Mesa 4x12 Cab
Albion GLS-412 Cabinet
Line 6 Spider Jam
Primus2112
whatever you say "Mor-ty"
915 IQ
Word it better please?

From what I can gather; you bought an RG, want an A7X sound, and just want to generally mod the sh*t out of it.

In that case...

First, get an OFR (Real Floyd Rose).
Quote by raoooos
slipknot are actually just terrible, they're such a "holy shit i'm 14" kind of band. like fuck off mum i'm not going to school i have to clear the stone of leaves.
bv310
GB&C's Very Own Brock!!!
1,721 IQ
For new inlays, you'll need to pull and replace the fretboard with a new one (an assload of work btw)

For tuners, I'd recommend either Grovers, or if you're patient, Steinberger Gearless tuners

24 fret necks are not all that uncommon, most modern Ibanezes have them
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
DimeShreder1
891 IQ
you know that i would have to get the guitar cut to have a floyd put on it..... anyways i want to buy pickups that could help give me a a7x tone kinda ..... also could i just buy another neck thats on ebay with rosewood fret boards....... any price range for some good grovers? ps it has a whammy just a normal trem..... and yes i know that modern day ibas have 24 frets only one that i dont know of is the gsa 6o it has 22 i think...?
Guitars:
Ibanez Prestige RG652AHM
Ibanez Prestige RG1527
Ibanez RGT42
Schecter Hellraiser C7

Amps:
EVH 5150iii 50watt head
Mesa 4x12 Cab
Albion GLS-412 Cabinet
Line 6 Spider Jam
bv310
GB&C's Very Own Brock!!!
1,721 IQ
Kindly take five seconds before you hit submit on your reply to ask yourself "does this make sense in english?" I know it may not be your first language, but basic punctuation will make people actually try to help you, rather than just ignore your question.

Now, in regards to your other questions:
1) For pickup recommendations, we need to know what kind of amp you have. Most Ibby's are pretty good for the metal/hardcore tone like A7X.

2) Yes you could just buy a new neck off EvilBay, the only thing you have to watch for is the size of the neck's heel in regard to the neck pocket on your body

3) Grovers are going to be about $70 for good ones, Steinberger Gearless (I really want to try them at some point) will run you about $125.

If you could post some pictures of the guitar, it would help figure out other questions you might have later.

DimeShreder1
891 IQ
Man sorry about that i was kind of in a hurry sorry about my bad typing skills lol...... yea i have a peavey its a 30 watt if i remmber right(i hook up a digitech distortion pedal to it if that helps any).... hmm this is the best i can do as far as pics
http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/3710/img00019me7.jpg
(this right here is a rg 170 has every thing mine has except that #13 thingy)
sorry

i have a guitar with grover tuners but its a 3x3 not a 6line
Guitars:
Ibanez Prestige RG652AHM
Ibanez Prestige RG1527
Ibanez RGT42
Schecter Hellraiser C7

Amps:
EVH 5150iii 50watt head
Mesa 4x12 Cab
Albion GLS-412 Cabinet
Line 6 Spider Jam
Last edited by DimeShreder1 at Apr 14, 2009,
bv310
GB&C's Very Own Brock!!!
1,721 IQ
Don't worry about it, it takes me like a minute before i hit send just to check. Good old OCD attacks.

Anyway, what brand Peavey is it? The only reason I ask is that most other regulars on here are gonna ask the same question. The type of amp you use contributes more to your tone than your pickups.

BTW, that pic actually does help. I didn't know this was an HSH. Does it have a model number or serial number on it anywhere?

EDIT: Okay, looked up your specs and it seems like this will be a nice guitar with a bit of work. First and foremost, I think new pickups may be in order, along with maybe adding more options to your wiring.

Last edited by bv310 at Apr 14, 2009,
DimeShreder1
891 IQ
Its a peavey audition 30..... I belive my guitar does have a serial number let me check for you sir....
Guitars:
Ibanez Prestige RG652AHM
Ibanez Prestige RG1527
Ibanez RGT42
Schecter Hellraiser C7

Amps:
EVH 5150iii 50watt head
Mesa 4x12 Cab
Albion GLS-412 Cabinet
Line 6 Spider Jam
DimeShreder1
891 IQ
Ok i pulled out my iby lol i love typing that....... anyways on the back of the headstock right below where it has RG 170 engraved it says: C8071970 and below that says lol Made in Korea.... tell me if im missing anything ?
Guitars:
Ibanez Prestige RG652AHM
Ibanez Prestige RG1527
Ibanez RGT42
Schecter Hellraiser C7

Amps:
EVH 5150iii 50watt head
Mesa 4x12 Cab
Albion GLS-412 Cabinet
Line 6 Spider Jam
bv310
GB&C's Very Own Brock!!!
1,721 IQ
I didn't see that you had the model number up there

You may want to look into upgrading your amp first. The Audition 30 is a solid state amp (according to google) and SS amps aren't exactly known for their tone. I'd ask around in GG&A for amp recommendations first, then look into adding some Seymour Duncan or DiMarzio's for the tone you need.

DimeShreder1
891 IQ
Ok before you laugh i just started trying to get deep into guitars and amps and i need some help with all this different types of amps and stuff so what do you mean by solid state amp and ss?
Guitars:
Ibanez Prestige RG652AHM
Ibanez Prestige RG1527
Ibanez RGT42
Schecter Hellraiser C7

Amps:
EVH 5150iii 50watt head
Mesa 4x12 Cab
Albion GLS-412 Cabinet
Line 6 Spider Jam
bv310
GB&C's Very Own Brock!!!
1,721 IQ
To be totally honest with you, I can't remember the actual speccs of each. A tube amp uses preamplifier tubes to give a warmer and more easily distorted tone than SS (solid state) amps. For most people, tube amps are preferred to SS amps as the tone is easier to tweak and play with. There are the occasional guitarists who swear by SS amps (Dimebag Darrell was one of them), but they are few and far between.

I'd suggest taking your primary guitar to a music store and testing a few different amps. Try out a Solid State and a Tube amp back to back, it will tell you more about the difference between the tone than any writing could.

StratStar21
CAN belive its not butter
264 IQ
Quote by DimeShreder1
Ok before you laugh i just started trying to get deep into guitars and amps and i need some help with all this different types of amps and stuff so what do you mean by solid state amp and ss?

dont worry man, this isnt the pit, most people will be willing to help out instead of just ripping on you. and ya, i cant really explain the difference, but when you hear a ss then a tube, trust me, youll know.
90% of teens say they would cry if they saw the Jonas Brothers about to fall off a skyscraper, put this in your sig if ur one of the 10 % who would shout "JUMP MUTHA****ERZ!"

Rob is my name is my game
DimeShreder1
891 IQ
yea but before diem died he switched to krank and got a tube..... o ok .............also nice guitar build you have going. Also from your personal opinion whould my Iby look better with black grovers or silver? also about how much is a decent solid colored paint job and what about having inlays put in?
Guitars:
Ibanez Prestige RG652AHM
Ibanez Prestige RG1527
Ibanez RGT42
Schecter Hellraiser C7

Amps:
EVH 5150iii 50watt head
Mesa 4x12 Cab
Albion GLS-412 Cabinet
Line 6 Spider Jam
DimeShreder1
891 IQ
thank you strat
Guitars:
Ibanez Prestige RG652AHM
Ibanez Prestige RG1527
Ibanez RGT42
Schecter Hellraiser C7

Amps:
EVH 5150iii 50watt head
Mesa 4x12 Cab
Albion GLS-412 Cabinet
Line 6 Spider Jam
wiliscool
Call me Deacon Blues
793 IQ
Buy a Valveking.

Trust me on this one.
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by handbanana
wiliscool is just plain dumb
DimeShreder1
891 IQ
yea my friend up the street bought a valve king 112 i played it sounds badass
Guitars:
Ibanez Prestige RG652AHM
Ibanez Prestige RG1527
Ibanez RGT42
Schecter Hellraiser C7

Amps:
EVH 5150iii 50watt head
Mesa 4x12 Cab
Albion GLS-412 Cabinet
Line 6 Spider Jam
Invader Jim
?)
971 IQ
SS (solid state) means it uses transistors instead of tubes. Transistors (and most semi-conductors) don't break up or distort very pleasingly, i.e. they usually sound like crap.

Tubes sound much better when you push them hard.

That's an EXTREMELY simplified definition.
RIP_bonham
UG's only Boo
373 IQ
the other thing about tube vs SS is that usually a tube amp will cost more than a SS of similar qualities (2 12 lets say), but it also depends on the brand and the model of amp. jsut before you go hacking away at your guitar, i would try out different amps and compare to what you have. play through different amps, different brands, tube, SS, but play it all with a similar guitar to yours, dont play with an LP because it might sound different. thats my advice.
Last edited by RIP_bonham at Apr 14, 2009,
bv310
GB&C's Very Own Brock!!!
1,721 IQ
valveking is a definite. Also, chrome or gold finish on your hardware will look best for a guitar with a dark solid finish imo

wiliscool
Call me Deacon Blues
793 IQ
I've got one, bought it new, and I love it. I recomended one to my roommate and he bought one used for $100, so you can get one relatively cheap. It's an excellent platform to build off of. If you want to do metal, I also recomend buying a good distortion pedal. I really like the Boss MD-2.

If you ask the guys in the GG&A forum, they'll tell you that this stuff is crap, but it really does sound great and IMHO is exactly what you need, and of course, try before you buy.

EDIT: sp
Quote by handbanana
Last edited by wiliscool at Apr 14, 2009,
DimeShreder1
891 IQ
also the louder a tube gets the better sounding it gets correct?
Guitars:
Ibanez Prestige RG652AHM
Ibanez Prestige RG1527
Ibanez RGT42
Schecter Hellraiser C7

Amps:
EVH 5150iii 50watt head
Mesa 4x12 Cab
Albion GLS-412 Cabinet
Line 6 Spider Jam
the humanity
A Political Man
3,177 IQ
the only thing SS works for (on guitar anyhow) is a few subtypes of post-punk.

given your name, I'd do that first.

Carvin also has some good offers, if you're willing to check out the Vintage series, they appear to be pretty versatile to me.

with a little gain boost it may even get into a full metal drive. but, that is a matter of opinion, you probably dig much heavier stuff than I do. look into it though, there is a video on youtube that may be of interest, 5 minutes may make a difference.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
StratStar21
CAN belive its not butter
264 IQ
Quote by DimeShreder1
yea but before diem died he switched to krank and got a tube..... o ok .............also nice guitar build you have going. Also from your personal opinion whould my Iby look better with black grovers or silver? also about how much is a decent solid colored paint job and what about having inlays put in?

id go with chrome, but im just a chrome kinda guy. You could easily do the paint yourself, just do the reasearch and become familiar with the techniques, but if your really reluctant to do it yourself you could find a local luthier or just someone with painting experience to do it for you, i have no idea how much it would be though, i personally prefer doin it yourself, but whatever, and if you wanna do inlays, youre gonna have to take, or rather rip, the fretboard off, if you want that, DO NOT attempt it yourself, get help on here from a luthier, or find someone who knows alot about it and has experience.
90% of teens say they would cry if they saw the Jonas Brothers about to fall off a skyscraper, put this in your sig if ur one of the 10 % who would shout "JUMP MUTHA****ERZ!"

Rob is my name is my game
DimeShreder1
891 IQ
Imho??
Guitars:
Ibanez Prestige RG652AHM
Ibanez Prestige RG1527
Ibanez RGT42
Schecter Hellraiser C7

Amps:
EVH 5150iii 50watt head
Mesa 4x12 Cab
Albion GLS-412 Cabinet
Line 6 Spider Jam
wiliscool
Call me Deacon Blues
793 IQ
'In my honest opinion'
Quote by handbanana
bv310
GB&C's Very Own Brock!!!
1,721 IQ
Actually, I think Bobby (metalwarrior40 on here) has started doing custom inlayed fretboards for a pretty decent price.

Also, definitely chrome hardware

DimeShreder1
891 IQ
yea i just want to do a little work at a time on my Iba...... also what would be a good single coil pick up because it has 1 right between the hums
Guitars:
Ibanez Prestige RG652AHM
Ibanez Prestige RG1527
Ibanez RGT42
Schecter Hellraiser C7

Amps:
EVH 5150iii 50watt head
Mesa 4x12 Cab
Albion GLS-412 Cabinet
Line 6 Spider Jam
DimeShreder1
891 IQ
After i think about it i would rather have a Pantera/Dimebag sound then a Synyster gates sound but i hae liked both sounds a lot
Guitars:
Ibanez Prestige RG652AHM
Ibanez Prestige RG1527
Ibanez RGT42
Schecter Hellraiser C7

Amps:
EVH 5150iii 50watt head
Mesa 4x12 Cab
Albion GLS-412 Cabinet
Line 6 Spider Jam
Invader Jim
?)
971 IQ
You could get som Bill Lawrence 500XL's Dime used them after the 500L became unavailable. Don't get the dimebuckers.
DimeShreder1
891 IQ
yea i have heard that the BL500's are good for that Dime type of sound how much do they run for used or new?
Guitars:
Ibanez Prestige RG652AHM
Ibanez Prestige RG1527
Ibanez RGT42
Schecter Hellraiser C7

Amps:
EVH 5150iii 50watt head
Mesa 4x12 Cab
Albion GLS-412 Cabinet
Line 6 Spider Jam
DimeShreder1
891 IQ
ok dime ran a 500xl as a bridge what could i run as a neck?
Guitars:
Ibanez Prestige RG652AHM
Ibanez Prestige RG1527
Ibanez RGT42
Schecter Hellraiser C7

Amps:
EVH 5150iii 50watt head
Mesa 4x12 Cab
Albion GLS-412 Cabinet
Line 6 Spider Jam
the humanity
A Political Man
3,177 IQ
maybe an invader, to get the Gates sound? you liked that too I hear.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

DimeShreder1
891 IQ
yea well im looking at modding 2 of my guitar my ml and my rg170

so what im going to say for now is that i wan tmy dean to be my dime project guitar and my rg to be my syn guitar i guess i want to mod both
Guitars:
Ibanez Prestige RG652AHM
Ibanez Prestige RG1527
Ibanez RGT42
Schecter Hellraiser C7

Amps:
EVH 5150iii 50watt head
Mesa 4x12 Cab
Albion GLS-412 Cabinet
Line 6 Spider Jam
the humanity
A Political Man
3,177 IQ
Quote by DimeShreder1
yea well im looking at modding 2 of my guitar my ml and my rg170

so what im going to say for now is that i wan tmy dean to be my dime project guitar and my rg to be my syn guitar i guess i want to mod both

hm.

well, good luck paying for all that bro!
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

WH15P3R
Rebel without Applause.
421 IQ
500Ls go for like 60 new, really cheap.
I don't remember where I was,
When I realized life was a game.
The more seriously I took things,
The harder the rules became.
the humanity
A Political Man
3,177 IQ
^be that as it may, 5 pickups and a tube amp is a pretty decent stack of jr bacon cheeseburgers.

in my opinion.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard