How you doing? Ive been experimenting with open tunings and want to use open C. The only problem is my guitar sounds terrible in it, theres alot of fret buzz when tuning the 6th string down to a C and some other strings are very loose. So my question is how would be the best way to fix it this? Would I be able to take it to a guitar shop and get the bridge adjusted? if so any idea how much this would cost?
Honestly open C tuning is very rare to see on an acoustic guitar thats not a baritone guitar.

thats why most people use open D or dadgad as an alternative tuning. Actually theres a few metal bands that use open C tuning for how deep it is.
I'm Just a Box in a Cage
I'm Just a Box in a Cage
I'm Just a Box in a Cage
I'm Just a Box in a Cage
You will get some buzz and off notes on any guitar in Open C.. It's bound to happen, as the strings are so loose. Bron-Yur-Ar in open C(6), has plenty of these sounds, which actually make it sound pretty neat. Just worry about everything else while playing, let the inperfection and buzzes be a bonus.
Practice, practice, practice.. But more importantly, feel it.

-Curtis Berger
Seems an easy fix for me... just put heavier strings on it (seems too easy though so I might be missing something - somebody chime in if I'm wrong)

Check the D'Addario tension guide http://www.daddario.com/publish/DAstringtensionguide.aspx?ActiveID=1762 for suggestions on how to select different string gauges to suit a alternate tuning.

The only problem with thicker strings is that they can have a adverse effect on intonation, so its a trade of. Try going the lightest heavier string you can - this will minimise buzzing and have minimal impact on the intonation. Also, you won't feel like your strings are too loose then.

If you want to raise the saddle (or the nut for that matter) you can try the old trick of taking the nut out and putting 4 or so sheets of accurately cut paper underneath the saddle (or nut). This is a easy 'quick fix' so you can try out a new bridge hieght before getting a new one cut.

If it turns out that the new saddle height suits you then get a new saddle cut - I wouldn't use the paper trick as a permanent solution.
URL]http://www.tyquinn.com
Quote by berger_curtis
You will get some buzz and off notes on any guitar in Open C.. It's bound to happen, as the strings are so loose. Bron-Yur-Ar in open C(6), has plenty of these sounds, which actually make it sound pretty neat. Just worry about everything else while playing, let the inperfection and buzzes be a bonus.

Don't listen to this guy, TS. Trust me, if you can hear the fret buzz, other people are going to as well.

My advice would be to instead tune to open d or higher depending on your strings until you can get a guitar that will handle open C okay.
has mastered the following disdainful smileys:

Yeah I have been playing in open D but I only know one song and I know alot more songs I could learn in open C. Can anyone recomend some artists or songs who play in open D, preferable finger picking as that's what I'm learning at the moment, cheers.
"Final Passage" by Al Petteway is in Open C. Also by him is a song in open Cm, "Whispering Stones." Yes, Open C Minor. Don't look at me funny.
This space foreclosed, due to the ailing economy.
yea I play a lot of my music in Open C I had the same problem that you have. My gutiar teacher recommended the medium phosperus bronze strings because they are a naturally heavier and tighter string so it wont buzz as often you still get the buzz on the E string but very often and only when im really stumming hard