Page 1 of 2
What does it do? Its under solid state amps so what is special about it?

http://www.music123.com/Peavey-Envoy-110-Guitar-Amplifier-with-TransTube-Technology-481333-i1167403.Music123
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
Its a load of crap. Its probably a solid state power amp with 1 or 2 preamp tubes.
Suhr Custom, Flaxwood Rautia or Grosh Tele thru
HBE Medicine Bawl Wah
Analogman BiComp
Texas Two Step OD
Fulltone Ultimate Octave/Fuzz
Boss CE-2
TC Nova Delay
SLO-100, 65 London or Bogner Shiva
Ask me about any of this stuff!
It's nothing spectacular, but does sound good. A lot of Peavey's older SS amps are really good for what they are, such as the Transtube Supreme, Supreme, XL, and XXL. I remember the older amps, like the Transtube Supreme, had an extra control labeled Tube Dynamics or something similar. It slightly compressed the output stage. No tubes are are involved.
It might sort of make it sound SORT OF better.
Pretty much just a gimmick though.

Peavey has been known never to make a horrible amp though.
100w Peavey Valveking Head
Mesa Rectifier 4x12 Standard Cab
Ibanez RG 321
Boss DD-7
iSP Decimator x2
BBE Boosta Grande
Modded Crybaby
MXR Blue Box
Numark Power Conditioner
Korg DTR-1000
Quote by handlerb
Its a load of crap. Its probably a solid state power amp with 1 or 2 preamp tubes.

You have no idea what you're talking about.

TS: "Transtube Technology" is Peavey's term for the circuitry they use in their solid state amps which is suppose to emulate the tone of a tube amp.

There are no tubes in those amps, so don't be mislead.

However, I use to own an Envoy 110 and they actually sound very nice for solid state amps - decent cleans and nice, smooth gain. Definitely go try one out before you buy it if you have the chance because they aren't everyone's cup of tea.
It's peavey's tube emulation circuit. Sounds quite nice. No tubes, but it sounds like it IS tube.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
ESP Horizon NT-7 (SD Full Shreds)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V (Duncan Quarter Pounds + Hipshot Kickass)
UA Apollo Twin Duo
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by i_am_metalhead
You have no idea what you're talking about.

TS: "Transtube Technology" is Peavey's term for the circuitry they use in their solid state amps which is suppose to emulate the tone of a tube amp.

There are no tubes in those amps, so don't be mislead.

However, I use to own an Envoy 110 and they actually sound very nice for solid state amps - decent cleans and nice, smooth gain. Definitely go try one out before you buy it if you have the chance because they aren't everyone's cup of tea.

Does Sam Ash carry them? I dont think GC does
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
Second you dance.
GC does carry peavey stuff.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
UA Apollo Twin Duo
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
That's funny, I just bought one yesterday. And there are no tubes at all in the power amp? Wow, I'd have never guessed. (I got the owner's manual from the peavey archives too!) So far I like it a lot. Its distortion quality is much nicer and has its own character, while the Line 6's (in my closet ) sounds harsh and digital (and a bit sterile and artificial to be honest). I got it for a good deal used, and couldn't pass it up. I'd probably have never bought it new for like $450 or w/e they cost now, if their even still selling. (mines also pre-digital effects models)
Maximum volume yields maximum goats.
Quote by oneblackened
GC does carry peavey stuff.

Yeah i can find the cheaper version of this amp but not the same one (at least on the website)
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
Quote by lolmnt
Second you dance.
A friend of mine owns a Bandit 112 - one of Peavey's older Transtube models - and it sounds pretty good for a solid state, even at higher volumes. Just don't get it up loud enough to clip the power amp and it'll sound alright.
I have a studio pro 1x12 that I have used as a practice amp for quite a while now. It is a VERY good amp for being solid state. The high gain channel is really great, and loud as hell! The cleans are very good, again for being solid state, mind you, it's no JC-120.
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
Q: What is TransTube Technology?

A: Marketing.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
Quote by ch0

Well I wouldn't go quite that far. While the name can be misleading and a bit confusing to uneducated buyers, they aren't trying to pass it off as a tube amp and scam people out of their money.
Quote by i_am_metalhead
Well I wouldn't go quite that far. While the name can be misleading and a bit confusing to uneducated buyers, they aren't trying to pass it off as a tube amp and scam people out of their money.
That's almost exactly what they're trying to do.

They're taking a hype word like "tube" and smacking it on the front of the amp and all over the advertising.

We often forget that the people who design and build these amps know what a real tube amp sounds like and that the amp they've created sounds nothing like them. Of course they're going to go after the sound of a tube amp though, it's considered by nearly everyone to be the best sound you can get out of a guitar.

Once there's a working product to market it's up to the marketing guys to actually get it out there and generate interest.

They do that by, again, using hype words like "tube" and jamming spiffy prefixes like "trans" on the front.

Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
Definition for TransTube Technology:

1. Gimmick.

2. Marketing scheme aimed at making inexperienced players think that their amp sounds like a tube amp.

3. Bad imitation of a tube amp, with solid state circuitry.

Not saying that the Peaveys are bad, just saying that don't quite have the sound or feel of a tube amp, like they say they do
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Apr 20, 2009,
Quote by ch0
That's almost exactly what they're trying to do.

They're taking a hype word like "tube" and smacking it on the front of the amp and all over the advertising.

We often forget that the people who design and build these amps know what a real tube amp sounds like and that the amp they've created sounds nothing like them. Of course they're going to go after the sound of a tube amp though, it's considered by nearly everyone to be the best sound you can get out of a guitar.

Once there's a working product to market it's up to the marketing guys to actually get it out there and generate interest.

They do that by, again, using hype words like "tube" and jamming spiffy prefixes like "trans" on the front.

Not trying to slam you or turn this thread into an argument, but have you ever actually played through a Transtube model? They sound more like a tube amp than they do an SS - hence the name "Transtube".
Quote by i_am_metalhead
Not trying to slam you or turn this thread into an argument, but have you ever actually played through a Transtube model? They sound more like a tube amp than they do an SS - hence the name "Transtube".
I've played through a couple TransTube amps.

They sound like a solid state amp. The lack the dynamics and 75% of the tone of a real tube amp.

Also, let's brake down the word "TransTube." Trans is probably transcend, which means to go beyond. This amp's name suggests that it is beyond a tube amp.

Seriously,

Not trying to be a dick. I just get tired of reading Epiphone threads like this. "TransTube" amps aren't tube amps and don't sound like tube amps.

If you bought one before you realized that there are a bunch of affordable tube amps out there then either take the loss selling it, or stop talking and play more.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Quote by ch0
I've played through a couple TransTube amps.

They sound like a solid state amp. The lack the dynamics and 75% of the tone of a real tube amp.

Also, let's brake down the word "TransTube." Trans is probably transcend, which means to go beyond. This amp's name suggests that it is beyond a tube amp.

Seriously,

Not trying to be a dick. I just get tired of reading Epiphone threads like this. "TransTube" amps aren't tube amps and don't sound like tube amps.

If you bought one before you realized that there are a bunch of affordable tube amps out there then either take the loss selling it, or stop talking and play more.

I sold mine 3 1/2 years ago lol - but to my ears they sound more like a tube amp than an SS

But like I said I'm not trying to slam anyone or turn this into an argument - everyone has their opinions and yours just happens to differ from mine, its all good
Quote by i_am_metalhead
everyone has their opinions and yours just happens to differ from mine, its all good
to that
Quote by Marty Friedman
Um, that would be the tube Vypyr then. Not what we're talking about.

In fact, the regular Vypyr doesn't fit into this discussion at all.
Quote by Marty Friedman
My guitar teacher has peavey transtubes in his teaching space. They sound quite nice for a practice amp.

Pretty versatile as well.
PRS SE Singlecut
Bogner Alchemist 112 Combo
Dunlop Classic Crybaby
Martin OM-1 and Backpacker Steel String
Seagull

Youtube Channel -Click Me Please-
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I don't give a fock the Vypyr 60 is a bitchin hybrid amp. Headphones to boot. 6L6 Power Tubes. 1 12AX7 preamp tube if I remember as a phase inverter dude.

Dude, the Vypyr 60 is a hybrid, not a transtube amp.
Quote by ch0

You're putting way too much thought into this.

It's a solid state amp. It has transistors in it, transistors emulating (or trying to emulate) the tube sound or TransTube for short.
I've got a TransTube 110 EFX. Call it what you want it's still an SS amp.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Quote by snowjay

It's a solid state amp. It has transistors in it, transistors emulating (or trying to emulate) the tube sound or TransTube for short.

Right, and look at Marshall, they got valvestate. Duh.
Parker PDF30
Vox VT40+
Quote by snowjay
It's actually really simple dude. Peavey needs to sell as much as possible. Using words like "tube" with spiffy prefixes help to move product.

Quote by snowjay
Oh, so all amps that try and simulate "tube sound" can be called TransTube?

Glad I log onto UG so often. Here I though TransTube was just a piece of marketing Peavey slapped on the box to make more money from inexperienced beginners.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Quote by OldRocker
Right, and look at Marshall, they got valvestate. Duh.

+1
I love all 5 (sold a couple) of my Carvin X-100b's.
Wait, I'm confused. Do we call solid state amps trying to imitate tube tone TransTube or Valvestate?

Or are they both marketing for: "We tried to make our amp sound good"?
Quote by Marty Friedman
Valvestate is Marshall's higher end SS line... Transtube is Peavey's emulation circuit. And IMO it sounds much more dynamic than a Valvestate. Vypyr with transtube>Marshall Valvestate.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
UA Apollo Twin Duo
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Transtube just means it's a transistor amp trying to sound like to a tube amp.
Valvestate is about the same thing...although I do believe the Marshall valvestates had one preamp tube in it. I don't care what you wanna call it. I tried all these amps and they sound fine in they're own right. If someone got disillusioned by the name then it's their fault. It's not tube! It just sounds a bit nicer than solid state.
I think the upper wattage models have valves in them. I'd be interested to find an amp with an SS power section and an all tube preamp.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
UA Apollo Twin Duo
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Its another way for the corporations to get your money
1 2

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
as thoughts keep drifting
as walls keep shifting
and this great blue world of ours
seems a House of Leaves

My Rig
Quote by Will Swanson
HeavyReverb = Hero of The Pit 2010.
Quote by I-Shot-Jr
You sir are my absolute hero.
Yeah, except it actually sounds better. Hmmmmm. If you're buying something shouldn't it at least sound good?
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
UA Apollo Twin Duo
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Quote by ch0
Um, that would be the tube Vypyr then. Not what we're talking about.

In fact, the regular Vypyr doesn't fit into this discussion at all.

He asked what TransTube technology is. The Envoy just happens to be one amp that has that technology. The Vypyr is another one. ALL of them. I've played all of the Vypyrs. I just happen to like the Vypyr 60 the best. I don't see why that is irrelevant. I'd rather have a Vypyr over an Envoy so I'm trying to help the TS out.

From the Peavey web site:

"the VYPYR Series dramatically redefines the power and scope of modern guitar amplification. VYPYR amplifiers are based on a combination of powerful 32-bit, floating-point SHARC processors and patented TransTube analog circuitry.

http://www.peavey.com/products/Vypyr/index.cfm

Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Apr 20, 2009,
Quote by ch0

What's the problem? Every single company has to know how to market their product/service if they want to get anywhere. It's not like Peavey is throwing in one or two useless preamp tubes. They clearly state that it's their idea of emulating the warmth of tubes through compression using solid state technology. If you don't like it, that's a different story.
Quote by ch0
It's actually really simple dude. Peavey needs to sell as much as possible. Using words like "tube" with spiffy prefixes help to move product.

Oh, so all amps that try and simulate "tube sound" can be called TransTube?

Glad I log onto UG so often. Here I though TransTube was just a piece of marketing Peavey slapped on the box to make more money from inexperienced beginners.

No, you thought it was short for Transcend Tube.

And yeah, it's a marketing term, big deal. I was explaining where the term came from. Don't get your panties in a wad over it.
Quote by snowjay
No, you thought it was short for Transcend Tube.

To the TS (and anyone else interested) you can read all about TransTube technology here:

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect2=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsearch-bool.html&r=1&f=G&l=50&d=PALL&RefSrch=yes&Query=PN%2F4439742

Generally, patents aren't issued for marketing ploys.
My Stuff:
Austin Strat Copy - Lefty
(New and Improved with Bill Lawrence 290/280 Pickups)
MIM Telecaster - Lefty
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
TS-9 with a few mods
Dunlop GCB-95 Wah
Page 1 of 2