Page 1 of 2
Mslone
214 IQ
Folks,

I have a few questions, I just built a Frankenstein Strat to get me back into guitar after a 12 yr absence and need some guidance/advice...

So the Guitar is finished, I used the actual EVH Frankenstein humbucker so hopefully the guitar is set and ready to scream..... I basically want to play mostly VH music. Or at least as a project to get me back into the hobby. what is some good practice gear to get me in the ballpark of that classic VH sound. I'm not planning on playing gigs or joining a band anytime soon, Just need a good proactice amp and effects to start my quest of rockin out some VH! So I don't Plan to buy the EVH 3,000 Amp for my spare bedroom concert...

So surely there are some VH fans here that have done the homework and have the gear list i need!

So what Amp?
I was looking at the Fender 15W Champ tube amp The local shop has this one on clearance for $199. and was considering the Marshall 15W mini Stack. Any opinions one either for playing VH music?

Next waht effects? Should I go with one of these all in one borads... or get individual pedals?

What Pedals do I need for Playing Classic VH? like ( Van Halen I up through 1984 ) Distortion, Flange, Phase, Delay? Any certain brand or particular ones?

ANy videos ya'll have with your gear playing VH would be great!

Thanks for all the help! I'm really looking forawrd to getting back into this!
riffhog
SLO Mojo
838 IQ
If you're only going to yutz around in your bedroom playing VH, I'd just get a little SS Roland Cube 30. Gets a pretty decent metal tone for its low price ($179 US, I think?).
Obviously, you'd need an echo/delay, phaser, & flanger to get closer to that sound, but that amp may have the FX in it. I haven't played around with them much.

This won't give you a true VH tone, but should be acceptable for a while. I play a ton of VH, & I use a re-amped 50W non-master volume Mojave Scorpion (which is basically a high-end 50W Marshall plexi clone). Like Andrew said above, the only way to get the true VH tone is using a plexi-type amp that must be cranked like crazy to sound good (which is why you re-amp it into a power amp like Eddie used to do).
I also have a 5150 III, but it doesn't sound as authentic to the old tone as my re-amp rig.

Edit: I don't have any video demos, but in my profile are some VH-ish clips using the re-amp rig.
http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/riffhog/music/all/play547200

Don't Drink a Ton Before You Play Teh Clips
Beer-induced VH ripoff
One more Eddie style cleep

I use a bit less echo & reverb than Eddie, though.

shameless clip plug , but he did ask for demos........
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Last edited by riffhog at Apr 20, 2009,
the_wayward_one
is where your money is.
237 IQ
The cheapest option to get tube amp modelled after a Plexi would probably be the Peavey Windsor half stack, though it will probably be too loud for bedroom practice. Anyway since it's just for Bedroom practice you should look into British voiced tube amps...I've heard good things about Traynor YCV50.
As for effects, well a delay pedal, and a phaser should do, for most of his stuff, he used a MXR phase 90, MXR flanger and a echo plex... you could maybe get a overdrive (though EVH didn't use one for his infamous brown sound).
Aliadiere - sadly has more syllables than goals this season."
Setanta commentator during Newcastle-Middlesbrough. .
Mslone
214 IQ
I live in Houston TX. and My Buget for just the Amp is approx. $300. and another $300 for the effects.

Like I mentioned I'm not going out on Tour anytime soon. But would like to get as close as I can for the money. I might go $400 on the Amp if it is a huge difference.

The guy at the Music store was pushing Vox for great tone...?
Last edited by Mslone at Apr 20, 2009,
311ZOSOVHJH
G G A - B A B Y
7,171 IQ
Quote by the_wayward_one
The cheapest option to get tube amp modelled after a Plexi would probably be the Peavey Windsor half stack, though it will probably be too loud for bedroom practice. Anyway since it's just for Bedroom practice you should look into British voiced tube amps...I've heard good things about Traynor YCV50.
As for effects, well a delay pedal, and a phaser should do, for most of his stuff, he used a MXR phase 90, MXR flanger and a echo plex... you could maybe get a overdrive (though EVH didn't use one for his infamous brown sound).

I think those two amps would be good on a budget along with a Peavey Classic 30.
IbanezPsycho
4,339 IQ
Quote by Mslone
I live in Houston TX. and My Buget for just the Amp is approx. $300. and another $300 for the effects.

Like I mentioned I'm not going out on Tour anytime soon. But would like to get as close as I can for the money. I might go $400 on the Amp if it is a huge difference.

The guy at the Music store was pushing Vox for great tone...?

Take that $300 for effects and throw it into a decent amp then get pedals here and there it would be more beneficial to you and your tone. Trust me...
Rock Pig
\/ my passport photo
428 IQ
Try a Traynor YCV20WR.
See if you can find a Variac - plug the Traynor in, turn the Variac down to less than what the amp normally runs at (won't do any damage), and crank it as far as it'll go at a sensible volume. It's a far fetched idea but you'll get the best results.
But in general, the Traynor is a good choice at 20 watts (comes with pretty much the same speaker Eddie used too!), and with something like a Digitech Bad Monkey boosting your input signal a bit into the lead channel you'll get a satisfying Eddie-esque crunch.
311ZOSOVHJH
G G A - B A B Y
7,171 IQ
I'd personally forget about the effects and just focus on getting a decent amp. If you have any spare cash a used Phase 90 would be cool but not required. or a Bad Monkey as suggested. Not sure if the YCV20 would have enough gain - never played one.

stuff....

Traynor YCV40 $450
http://houston.craigslist.org/msg/1130215984.html

Line 6 Flextone III $350
http://houston.craigslist.org/msg/1129476770.html

Marshall JCM601 combo $475 (you'll have to ask someone about this one)
http://houston.craigslist.org/msg/1126572215.html

motivation
http://houston.craigslist.org/msg/1123620139.html

Peavey Classic 30 $350
http://houston.craigslist.org/msg/1087888192.html
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Apr 20, 2009,
Archer18
Green Mile Official
2,417 IQ
wampler pinnacle overdrive pedal
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
Mslone
214 IQ
Now ya'll have me spending like $700 - $1000 on just an amp... I'm just getting back into the hobby and need something to practice on in a Bedroom...

The 15W Marshall Mini Stack is getting some really good reviews on all the sites for a great practice amp. They claim it has great Tone for $.

Not sure what the difference is between the Zakk Wylde Mini Stack vs. the Plain Marshall Mini Stack? Anyone have these and care to chime in? Both are getting great reviews.

So I'm proubably going with eiather one of the Mini stacks or the Peavey 15W tube XD Champ. I can get the Marshall Mini Stach for $299, The Zakk Wylde Min Stack for $250 or the Peavey 15w Tube XD Champ on clearance for $199.

Marshall Mini Stach for $299
Zakk Wylde Min Stack for $250
Peavey 15w Tube XD Champ for $199

If you like playing Van Halen which one would you buy for a practice amp?
riffhog
SLO Mojo
838 IQ
Quote by Rock Pig
Try a Traynor YCV20WR.
See if you can find a Variac - plug the Traynor in, turn the Variac down to less than what the amp normally runs at (won't do any damage), and crank it as far as it'll go at a sensible volume. It's a far fetched idea but you'll get the best results.
But in general, the Traynor is a good choice at 20 watts (comes with pretty much the same speaker Eddie used too!), and with something like a Digitech Bad Monkey boosting your input signal a bit into the lead channel you'll get a satisfying Eddie-esque crunch.

Unfortunately, Variacs don't take away much volume, but simply take some stress off the output stage when dimed. I have a Variac, but rarely use it because the amps I use are built to run wide open for extended time periods. It doesn't really change much of anything tone-wise.
To the TS, if you buy one of those mini stacks, which it appears you're set to do regardless of the information you get here, you'll be back soon enough asking for VH tone recommendations again, because those just ain't gettin' it. Vh has clarity in his tone, something you'll never get from those amps.
If you want cheap, just GO TRY a few amps. I seriously recommend the Cube 30, because it's dirt cheap, & can do as close to VH for that price as your fingers will take you. We're just trying to keep you from wasting your money, but you seem hell-bent on doing that anyway.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

greggybhoy
Glasgow Irish!
2,163 IQ
I wouldn't get any of those amps for Van Halen. The Fender Champ could get similar, but those Marshalls are the worst of the worst amps. They are the MG line and are awful. "Marshall" is a name no longer synonymous with quality and anything decent from them will cost you a fair wad.

The best amp within affordability is probably the Peavey Windsor STUDIO - not the halfstack. The studio is an affordable 15 watt tube combo that is essentially Peavey's take on Marshall. You also have the advantage of a power sponge which means you can play with the same great tone at volumes you can click your fingers over, to volumes you can keep up with a band at. It's around $400 I think and worth every penny. I wouldn't suggest much else in your price range unless you went used.

Once again, don't be fooled by the nice logo, or what the sales assistant tells you, those Marshall mini stacks are sh!t. A used 80's lead 12 however, is a whole other ball game...

Good luck, but don't come telling us if you got the Marshall, no one will congratulate you lol!

Welcome to UG - "Hating on Marshall and Line 6 since 2005."
gregs1020
Hi mom!
10,786 IQ
Quote by Mslone

Marshall Mini Stach for $299
Zakk Wylde Min Stack for $250
Peavey 15w Tube XD Champ for $199

If you like playing Van Halen which one would you buy for a practice amp?

None. If you mean Fender Super Champ XD its a good amp for $199. Also check out a vypyr, the 6505 model on it is pretty close to the actual amp it's trying to emulate/imitate.
Quote by Roc8995
I don't think I've ever played anything in black walnut. It's a great ice cream flavor, so I assume it works well for a strat too.

Quote by JustRooster
The slugs in the pickups for telecasters are from old winchester rifles, which is why they sound so country.
greggybhoy
Glasgow Irish!
2,163 IQ
Sorry for the double post but this might get missed if I just edit

TS, understand this:

Your super duper Eddie Van Halen pickup will be worthless played through a Marshall MG Zakk Wylde ministack or MG ministack. Pickups of that kind of quality are only going to realise their potential through a halfway decent amp - the existence of which you seem blissfully unaware of.
You will do well to find a decent amp for $200. But it's very unlikely.

Quote by gregs1020
None. If you mean Fender Super Champ XD its a good amp for $199. Also check out a vypyr, the 6505 model on it is pretty close to the actual amp it's trying to emulate/imitate.

It's the early sound he wants. But having said that you aren't giving the worst advice as he would prefer to play through an MG for those classic Van Halen licks
Last edited by greggybhoy at Apr 21, 2009,
gregs1020
Hi mom!
10,786 IQ
People named greg always give good advice...
Quote by Roc8995
I don't think I've ever played anything in black walnut. It's a great ice cream flavor, so I assume it works well for a strat too.

Quote by JustRooster
The slugs in the pickups for telecasters are from old winchester rifles, which is why they sound so country.
greggybhoy
Glasgow Irish!
2,163 IQ
Quote by gregs1020
People named greg always give good advice...

Maybe I'll end up on the fabled "who to listen to" list soon.
311ZOSOVHJH
G G A - B A B Y
7,171 IQ
TS - you have $600. Forget the pups, pedals and all the other junk. Troll your craigslist and spend every dime you have on an amp.

Or - highly recommend the Peavey Vypyr 60 hybrid amp. It has a headphone jack and some built in effects like delay and phaser that will keep you busy for a long time. The amp is $450 I think.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey-Vypyr-Tube-60-60W-1x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp-104922893-i1413609.gc
Bostonrocks
UG God
7,064 IQ
In all seriousness Ireccomend a Laney AOR, or of you can save another 400 dollars a splawn competition
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Holy-Diver
Chris
2,182 IQ
Quote by greggybhoy

i think you have to give people sexual favors to be on there....
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

Mesa Boogie Mark III blue dot Coliseum

Mesa Traditional 4x12 v30's x EVM 12l's

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
IbanezPsycho
4,339 IQ
Quote by greggybhoy

Even on the list people still do what they want anyway..

Gotta love the people that ask questions on this board then crap all over everyones recommendations like they dont know what the hell there talking about.
LP_CL
Gimme a beer!
2,072 IQ
This is your best chance getting EVH tone for not much money. But with your budget, i think you wont get close.
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product?sku=582106
600$ is a minimum if you want to buy new. If you are VERY lucky, you could find a 5150 combo second hand for less then 500$, but chances are small. The 6505+ 112 combo wont be easy to find second hand, as it just came out.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Holy-Diver
Chris
2,182 IQ
the 6505 112 is not out, and it will be aboout 600
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
oneblackened
Better Than You At Mixing
3,304 IQ
Only problem is, TS wants classic Van Halen tone. Try a Marshall-like tube amp of some sort (the Marshall Haze 40 may be worth trying), or a Peavey Vypyr tube 60.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (BKP C-Bomb/VHII)
ESP Horizon NT-7 (SD Full Shreds)
UA Apollo Twin Duo
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Focal Alpha 65 monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
greggybhoy
Glasgow Irish!
2,163 IQ
Quote by oneblackened
Only problem is, TS wants classic Van Halen tone. Try a Marshall-like tube amp of some sort (the Marshall Haze 40 may be worth trying), or a Peavey Vypyr tube 60.

The Haze, especially in America is way out of budget. The Vypyr tube is a decent option - but I still reccommend the Windsor Studio.

TS, let's hear your views, what are you going to go for?
oneblackened
Better Than You At Mixing
3,304 IQ
Quote by greggybhoy
The Haze, especially in America is way out of budget. The Vypyr tube is a decent option - but I still reccommend the Windsor Studio.

TS, let's hear your views, what are you going to go for?

The Haze is $100 over budget. http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Marshall-Haze-MHZ40C-40W-1x12-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=581910
Not too bad.
Vypyr tube can and will get both van halen tones - Brown Sound and Van Hagar sound.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (BKP C-Bomb/VHII)
ESP Horizon NT-7 (SD Full Shreds)
UA Apollo Twin Duo
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Focal Alpha 65 monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
greggybhoy
Glasgow Irish!
2,163 IQ
Quote by oneblackened
The Haze is $100 over budget. http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Marshall-Haze-MHZ40C-40W-1x12-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=581910
Not too bad.
Vypyr tube can and will get both van halen tones - Brown Sound and Van Hagar sound.

Thought his budget was $400

In any case, that's a great price for the Haze considering what I thought it was going to cost. It's no cheaper here in the UK!
LP_CL
Gimme a beer!
2,072 IQ
Quote by Holy-Diver
the 6505 112 is not out, and it will be aboout 600

It is out, click the link...

EDIT: holy crap, i'm so wrong... Sorry
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Last edited by LP_CL at Apr 21, 2009,
Holy-Diver
Chris
2,182 IQ
Quote by LP_CL
It is out, click the link...

did you?
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
LP_CL
Gimme a beer!
2,072 IQ
Yeah I did. First i didnt see it. Second time i did...

You may spank me if you like.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Holy-Diver
Chris
2,182 IQ
Quote by LP_CL
Yeah I did. First i didnt see it. Second time i did...

You may spank me if you like.

we all facepalm from time to time
but for some reason the 6505 112 is available sooner from gc.....
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
sg4ever
clashof the coconuts
3,913 IQ
You forget the man is just wanting to noodle around at home. You think he wants to spend the money on a gigging amp just to get the tone? He only wants a close tone to practice on.
Last edited by sg4ever at Apr 21, 2009,
riffhog
SLO Mojo
838 IQ
Quote by oneblackened
Not too bad.

Every time I hear someone say that such & such amp nails the brown sound, I just laugh myself silly when I hear the amp or clips for myself. Most aren't even close. There exist only a handful of amps that will REALLY get teh brown, with all the dynamics & sustain. If you're a pretty decent player, & play a lot of VH, you may be able to coax some brown-esque tones from other amps, but otherwise forget it. Anything else is just a mock compromise.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard

greggybhoy
Glasgow Irish!
2,163 IQ
Quote by sg4ever
You forget the man is just wanting to noodle around at home. You think he wants to spend the money on a gigging amp just to get the tone? He only wants a close tone to practice on.

Hence my suggestion of Windsor Studio.