Page 2 of 4

Really?

I assumed most fuzz circuits were pretty simple...
Well do you know who builds fuzzes 'round here.

I think bostonrocks is one.
Most fuzzes are pretty simple from the schems I've looked at but that sounds like combining circuts and all sorts of wierd stuff. I'd just take it to GB&C
Dude....i don't want to build it myself!

I want someone to build it for me.
(This is hypothetical btw...i wont be buying right now)
Posting in a cool thread and I need teh fuzzorz too. I'm thinking maybe a Big Muff but I really haven't gotten around to listening to clips.

Quote by unet
Dude....i don't want to build it myself!

I want someone to build it for me.
(This is hypothetical btw...i wont be buying right now)

I have not listened to his clips yet but yeah I'm thinking Bostonrocks (Brett's) fuzz pedal would be worth a look. oldskool.com I think it is.

I played a Univox Superfuzz clone today.

It was teh earsex.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Quote by unet
I had a look
http://oldskoolguitar.com/Portfolio.html

It seems his is a more "vintagey" fuzz.
Not what i want at all!

^yepper

that's it. Sorry Brett

That dirt pedal you found was pretty hot. I saved that url.
311 - Did you see what I posted in the TPR thread for you?
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
I have a modded Fuzz Face clone I built myself and an NYC RI Big Muff which will be modded by me in a few weeks/months too, so... I'm in!
This thread is looking an awful lot like the TPR thread though
The gear is in the profile.
You know you want to take a look

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Strat-mangling, echo-eating janglefan σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by shadow__666
311 - Did you see what I posted in the TPR thread for you?

yepper....problem is Best Buy doesn't carry any fuzz really and they have a ton of Dano pedals but they are not what I want. It's a long story but I had to practically beg the BB dude to sell me one of the Boss pedals off the pedal display because they had little in actual stock to sell.

I think I'm going to make the 'fuzziest' clip I can with what I have and then have you guys help. Yay?
That would work.

But if you get cash when you sell your pedal and the $50, why don't you just get it off PGS or something?

Quote by Lauke_101

Shhhhh!
The mods are watching.
But they're mostly busy dealing with pitmonkeys.
Oh I'm suddenly reminded of when I almost had a JEN Jumbo Fuzz for €50
The guy didn't know what he was selling, but he sold it to someone else last minute, he was probably told that it was not just any old pedal.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by Lauke_101

Nah, the TPR thread is for all post-rock related stuff. This thread is just about teh fuzz.

But the recent spam in the TPR thread (a lot propagated by me) has begun to make it look more like the WTLTL thread.
Quote by Cathbard
I have a Roger Mayer Axis Fuzz, which is a sexy sexy silicon fuzz.

I'm gonna be building a germanium Fuzz Face with bias, contour and voltage sag knobs and possibly a bright switch, and if that turns out well, I might sell them to people here, if anyone's interested.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
Quote by rhcp_freak
I have a Roger Mayer Axis Fuzz, which is a sexy sexy silicon fuzz.

I'm gonna be building a germanium Fuzz Face with bias, contour and voltage sag knobs and possibly a bright switch, and if that turns out well, I might sell them to people here, if anyone's interested.

Depends on how I like Brett's but I may be interested in that too
@rchp_freak: Adding a bright switch when you already have a contour isn't really that necessary if you ask me, they both do more or less the same thing.
External bias combined with a voltage sag pot is a great idea though, it really skyrockets the FF's versatility.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by Lauke_101
@rchp_freak: Adding a bright switch when you already have a contour isn't really that necessary if you ask me, they both do more or less the same thing.
External bias combined with a voltage sag pot is a great idea though, it really skyrockets the FF's versatility.

Ah? You made the silicon fuzz face with the bright switch, right? That's where I got the idea from.

Yeah, I wanted to make a fuzz face kinda thing with a lot more tweakability.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

Member of the EHX Guild
I made a fuzz face with switchable transistors, so it's either silicon, germanium or two flavors of hybrid
And the other stuff I did was the volume boost, power supply filter cap (just in case), external bias, voltage sag, bright switch (more a bass cut than added treble though) and an enormous bass boost that is rather useless because of it's volume drop. It's still quite funny when you sag the voltage down to about halfway and crank the other knobs though.

By the by, just as a general warning: voltage sagging does not work on silicon fuzz faces, as soon as it drops below 8ish your sound is cut.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Wow, that sounds pretty coo'. What are the two hybrid modes like?

I remember it having a DC jack, right? I think I'm gonna wire my fuzz with a DC jack instead of a battery snap.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

Member of the EHX Guild
Last edited by rhcp_freak at Apr 24, 2009,
^Yup, I just added a switch for Ge/Si for each transistor and yes I added a DC jack. All my DIY pedals don't even have battery snaps since I never use them. (Read: haven't got room left to fit a battery in ). Well, both actually.
I really like the hybrid modes for a different flavor, especially Q1:Ge and Q2:Si sounds really good, it tightens up the sound, gets rid of a bit of excessive bass and adds a tad of gain without losing the warmth you get out of Ge transistors.

Damn I feel like building pedals right now, if only I had the money to buy some enclosures/switches. Ah well, better mod my Muff first and see if it becomes a keeper.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Devi Ever fuzzes = God. Where was I when this thread started? I love fuzz

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Quote by stradivari310
Devi Ever fuzzes = God. Where was I when this thread started? I love fuzz

Don't you have a Disaster Fuzz? How is that?
Quote by Skierinanutshel
oh, i should mention this in here.

i got to play an original muff a week ago, through a alpine white SG and a orange-tolexed stiletto.

i'm not sure if it counts as a Fuzz, but the Durham Crazy Horse is sweet. i'm GASing hardcore for one.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Quote by nightraven
=0

ok when i get round to doing my fuzz it's going to have to be germanium then

A little tip for you: in The Hague there's a shop called Radio Twenthe on the Stille Veerkade were you can get NOS parts I bought a few AC127s there, those are NPN versions (positive ground, yay!) of the AC128 and they sound great in my Fuzz Face.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Hmmm, I need to email banzai effects or something to ask them if I should use high-gain AC128s or medium gain ones. The high-gain has lots of octave and overtones on higher notes, and the medium is more balanced. I want as much octave up as possible, but I don't want it to sound thin.

I might just go for the high-gain, and if it's too much, I'll turn the fuzz and bias down a bit. I also think the high-gain would be more versatile.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

Member of the EHX Guild
Last edited by rhcp_freak at Apr 24, 2009,
Hmmm, dyou guys think I could fit a small circuit, 5 knobs, an LED, input, output and a DC jack, a 3pdt switch and possibly a battery snap in a B enclosure?
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

Member of the EHX Guild
Quote by mcrfobtai
Don't you have a Disaster Fuzz? How is that?

Disgusting, but in a good way. It sounds really trebly and harsh in my clip, but through a cranked amp it's MASSIVE.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Quote by nightraven
i have a set of high gain AC128s lying around that i got from banzai but they're not NOS - how much does this shop charge for awesome trannies?

Banzai sells NOS transistors as far as I know, I could be wrong though. Anyways, I think I paid about €4ish. They're not that expensive. Sometimes they have NOS tubes as well, still need to get me a few of those

Quote by rhcp_freak
Hmmm, dyou guys think I could fit a small circuit, 5 knobs, an LED, input, output and a DC jack, a 3pdt switch and possibly a battery snap in a B enclosure?

Well, you can sure as hell forget about putting a battery in then and you'll probably won't get 5 knobs crammed in there either. I'd say 3-4 max, although it might just fit when you get 12mm and put the narrowest knobs you can find on them.
When you have the parts already lying around you could always make a mock up enclosure out of cardboard to see if you can puzzle it all in somehow

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by Lauke_101
A little tip for you: in The Hague there's a shop called Radio Twenthe on the Stille Veerkade were you can get NOS parts I bought a few AC127s there, those are NPN versions (positive ground, yay!) of the AC128 and they sound great in my Fuzz Face.

Could you send me 2 of em?
I really want to get a fuzz build going.