Page 3 of 4
Sure I can, PM me and we'll settle that sometime, no problem
The gear is in the profile.
You know you want to take a look

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Strat-mangling, echo-eating janglefan σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Hmmm, I've decided to go with PNP trannies and use a battery snap. When I start selling these things, I'll add DC jacks for £2 extra, but it's gonna have to be used with a separate adapter. PNP sounds better tonewise than NPN, IMO, and I guess you gotta make sacrifices for tone, even though it's not really much of a sacrifice.

I'll probably go with a BB enclosure then.

By the way, are the AC127s matched?
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
Last edited by rhcp_freak at Apr 25, 2009,
No, I just bought a bunch and measured them at home. I have this really old huge analog multimeter (and a nice Fluke as well by the way) that can measure transistor gain directly. Here is a description of a simple rig with which you can measure transistor gain with a regular multimeter. It's quite an interesting read on fuzz faces in general as well.
The gear is in the profile.
You know you want to take a look

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Strat-mangling, echo-eating janglefan σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Coo'. I think I'll be going with the high gain PNP germies on banzai, mainly because I wanna build a fuzz with octave and overtones. The bias knob is handy with that too, cos then I can dial it lower for less octave and gain.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

Member of the EHX Guild
I was trying out a Silicon fuzz face the other day (on a breadboard) but i didn't have high gain transistors.

I tried out some BC547C's in it but the output was REALLLLLYY low.
I turned up my amp volume and i could hear these really weird octave/ring-moddish sounds happening.

Was quite cool.

Anyone know any fuzz circuits with BC147/547 or 2N2222 or 2N3904/5/6 ?

Quote by Lauke_101
Sure I can, PM me and we'll settle that sometime, no problem

Alright, thanks!
I'll send you a PM when i get the rest of the stuff up.
Last edited by unet at Apr 25, 2009,
Anyone know of any sites where I can get a Russian Muff shipped to Ireland?

I'm having no luck finding a Russian Muff round these parts, which just isn't fair
HOWAYA LUV ;D

BUGERA USERS MILITIA
You can't find a Russian Muff anywhere in Dublin?

Look for Dave_Mc - he's our resident Irish genius. He'll be able to help you.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Quote by unet

I believe the Triangle Muff has 2N3904s, but I doubt that's what you're looking for. Roger Mayer Axis Fuzz uses 2Nsomethingsomething.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

Member of the EHX Guild
Quote by rhcp_freak
I believe the Triangle Muff has 2N3904s, but I doubt that's what you're looking for. Roger Mayer Axis Fuzz uses 2Nsomethingsomething.

A simple fuzz circuit preferably.

I'll have a look at the triangle muff.
Unless you could send me a schem?
Quote by shadow__666
You can't find a Russian Muff anywhere in Dublin?

Look for Dave_Mc - he's our resident Irish genius. He'll be able to help you.

Ah, yes! Cheers dude... if I see him I'll send him a pm. Have a feeling the only place I'll get one is on ebay though!
HOWAYA LUV ;D

BUGERA USERS MILITIA
Quote by unet
A simple fuzz circuit preferably.

I'll have a look at the triangle muff.
Unless you could send me a schem?

If you want one, I've got one. I THINK it's for PNP, so you'll have to reverse the polarity if you want NPN.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

Member of the EHX Guild
Oh f**king yes, I love this thread.

Fuzz Factory owner here, and I love it.

I seriously, might never buy another Fuzz again, because of this one pedal ( With the exception of a few Devi-Ever, and Death by Audio pedals)

I'd review it, but I don't now where to start.
BACK LIKE A HEART ATTACK
there is only one fuzz pedal ive ever heard and actually liked, its the analogman germanium NKT sunface.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by unet
I was trying out a Silicon fuzz face the other day (on a breadboard) but i didn't have high gain transistors.

I tried out some BC547C's in it but the output was REALLLLLYY low.
I turned up my amp volume and i could hear these really weird octave/ring-moddish sounds happening.

Was quite cool.

Alright, thanks!
I'll send you a PM when i get the rest of the stuff up.

the original fuzz face can use 2N2222, or 2N3904 OR 2N4401 (IIRC 4401s are the same as 2222S)
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Managed to find a Russian Muff on ebay today! It'll be arriving to my door in a week or so, I hope!

Can't feckin wait!
HOWAYA LUV ;D

BUGERA USERS MILITIA
I'm getting my first fuzz on Monday! It actually got here yesterday but I'm waiting to open it on my birthday.

It is the Old Skool Fuzz by (fellow UG user) Bostonrocks. I most likely post clips as well, since I found out how to work Audacity.
Saint Louis Blues
Where can I buy a MJM London Fuzz in Aus Nowhere sells them
Interviewer: You've said jamming is like having an orgasm.
Neil Young: That's why a lot of my instrumentals are too short!

Fender 1988 68'reissue strat
Orange TT Head
Epi Valve Jr cab
+ many pedals (and many more to come)
Has anyone heard the new Fulltone Fuzz?! DAMN! It sounds AMAZING! It's not really a wall of sound type but for every thing else it sounds great and seems to have a versatile range.
Will probs be buying soon
I like Beans.

Quote by Hypnotisation
Throw away old strings? Are you kidding me? They're the only thing that can strangle unicorns!

BE AFRAID OF THE MODIFIED BEAR!

I know I am
Looks alright.

Check out my Fuzz thread guys! I'll be building them after my GCSEs.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

Member of the EHX Guild
If you could build a Shin-Ei FY-2 clone for less than $110 plus NZ shipping (the price Brett offered me) I would buy from you.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
I don't really think I'll do much else apart from the Germanium fuzz right now, and I wouldn't be able to build anytime soon. I might be making some Germanium boosts in the future though.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

Member of the EHX Guild
Bump.

Anyone have any cool graphic ideas for a custom fuzz?

It's has like two sides to it...so i was thinking of a two-face/desert-oasis/other contrasting concepts.
Ideas?
Ooh - I missed this thread earlier. I have 1.5 fuzzes. I've got a ZVex Woolly Mammoth and a Way Huge Red Llama. Both are clones that I built myself though. The Red Llama is sort of a crossbreed between an OD and a fuzz (hence the 1.5) and I love it tons. The Woolly Mammoth is absolutely sick however - oodles of gain on that thing.
Unet - I really like the desert/oasis idea.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Thanks!

(you're like the millionth person i've shown this to
http://fuzzhugger.com/pedal-ab-synth.html

I'm getting that sometime next year when i get my first job.
I'm having some customization to the circuit done, also getting some custom graphics.
that's what i need it for.

Also, clips of the Mammoth?

Is your WHRL original?
Haha, I saw you all hyper about that pedal in the TPR thread during my ban.
I have a demo of my Woolly Mammoth clone in my profile titled "Fuzzy Elephant demo".
Like I said, both the WM and RL are clones that I built myself. I wish it was an original though.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
I have a EHX Big Muff and a fuzz I build myself, pics and clips are in my profile if you want to check it out. I'm kind of gassing for a Fuzz Factory right now, but I might as well build it myself. I'm still looking for a vero-board layout though because I can't make PCB's, so if someone knows where I can find it!

But yeah, fuzz is the ultimate effect!
Quote by Dr.Pain-MD
Haha, I saw you all hyper about that pedal in the TPR thread during my ban.
I have a demo of my Woolly Mammoth clone in my profile titled "Fuzzy Elephant demo".
Like I said, both the WM and RL are clones that I built myself. I wish it was an original though.

Umm also, could you send me some schems for both?

The Mammoth sounds....well, Mammoth.
Quote by unet
Umm also, could you send me some schems for both?

The Mammoth sounds....well, Mammoth.

Check ya PMS, brah.
WtrPlayer - I orginally wanted to build a FF, but couldn't find any germ trannies locally so I decided to build a WM instead. Greatest decision ever - WM sounds so much fatter and less brittle.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

WtrPlyr - how did you do the decals for your fuzz?

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

First OP edit - more coming.
Quote by Cathbard
Hey, anyone have experience with the Catalinbread V8 Fuzz? I might be trading for one, and i wanna know how you guys like it.
Gear:
Agile Ash RB 828
Schecter C-7 (old 90s style headstock)
Handbuilt 6-string V
Handbuilt Baritone scale 6 string Iceman-copy
Pod HD300
So I want to get a nice, fuzz box 'since a bit of a Muse fan, however I'm not willing to spend $180 on a Fuzz Factory. Are there any other, much cheaper fuzz boxes out there for those Bellamy-esque sounds?
Wave goodbye to the past.
You've got your whole life to lead.

Schecter C-1+ with SD '59/Custom 5
Egnater Tweaker 15
PolyTune noir
Algal Bloom fuzz
Fingerprint Redux fuzz
Nocturner reverb
Flashback delay
Last edited by cxrlxscr at Aug 8, 2009,
Quote by Jango22
Hey, anyone have experience with the Catalinbread V8 Fuzz? I might be trading for one, and i wanna know how you guys like it.

i absolutely love mine. i tried capturing a demo of it once, but a video camera can only do so much.