Hmm. I messed up. Ages ago I acquired a project bass guitar, with a cracked nut. This nut was too high anyway, so I disposed of it and bought a new one. The seller sent me the wrong nut, it was far too small height wise, so I told him and he sent me another one, which was more like the original nut.

I put the new "big" nut on the guitar and the action was incredibly high, so much that I physically could not fret the first fret, and I got buzz uptill about fret 17.

I then put this guitar in a corner for about 3 months and yesterday decided to take another look at it. I decided the new "big" nut on there isn't correct, and it would never work. But by this time I had already sanded the neck to accomodate this nut, so it's a bit of a mess. I found and sanded a piece of wood, put it under the other smaller nut and stringed it up to see how it would work, and I still get buzz uptill about fret 10 ish, and the action in the middle of the neck is smaller than at either the first fret or at the last fret. It kind of dips. The nut is too low without anything underneath it.

Now I am 99% sure this means the nut&wood combination is too high again, since I have been messing with the saddles and it's making no difference. What is a generally correct height for a P-bass nut? Could it be anything to do with the truss rod?
Quote by dandadog
Hmm. I messed up. Ages ago I acquired a project bass guitar, with a cracked nut. This nut was too high anyway, so I disposed of it and bought a new one. The seller sent me the wrong nut, it was far too small height wise, so I told him and he sent me another one, which was more like the original nut.

I put the new "big" nut on the guitar and the action was incredibly high, so much that I physically could not fret the first fret, and I got buzz uptill about fret 17.

I then put this guitar in a corner for about 3 months and yesterday decided to take another look at it. I decided the new "big" nut on there isn't correct, and it would never work. But by this time I had already sanded the neck to accomodate this nut, so it's a bit of a mess. I found and sanded a piece of wood, put it under the other smaller nut and stringed it up to see how it would work, and I still get buzz uptill about fret 10 ish, and the action in the middle of the neck is smaller than at either the first fret or at the last fret. It kind of dips. The nut is too low without anything underneath it.

Now I am 99% sure this means the nut&wood combination is too high again, since I have been messing with the saddles and it's making no difference. What is a generally correct height for a P-bass nut? Could it be anything to do with the truss rod?

Sand down the BIG nut.

Put some medium grit (not too course, say P180) on a flat surface, and rub the bottom of the nut on it, to lower it.

Before you start, measure roughly how much you need to take off, and mark this across the nut, then sand down to the line.

Adjust as required.

Probably do some Googling about suggested action heights for your Bass.
Quote by Cal UK

...that's what Skeet always says anyway and he's a sex god.

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!
Quote by Skeet UK
Sand down the BIG nut.

Put some medium grit (not too course, say P180) on a flat surface, and rub the bottom of the nut on it, to lower it.

Before you start, measure roughly how much you need to take off, and mark this across the nut, then sand down to the line.

Adjust as required.

Probably do some Googling about suggested action heights for your Bass.

Already tried sanding it, but to no avail. Of course I will go back to trying that if I don't get any luck with this smaller nut.. It definitely IS a problem with the nut though isn't it?
Quote by dandadog
Already tried sanding it, but to no avail. Of course I will go back to trying that if I don't get any luck with this smaller nut.. It definitely IS a problem with the nut though isn't it?

If it was OK with the original, before it broke and the BIG nut, is about the same, then yeah, I would say so.

Sand it some more. Mark it first as I said, so you can see how you are doing.

Don't bother with the small nut. Obviously, check your neck is straight, yada yada yada...
Quote by Cal UK

...that's what Skeet always says anyway and he's a sex god.

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!
Quote by Skeet UK
If it was OK with the original, before it broke and the BIG nut, is about the same, then yeah, I would say so.

Sand it some more. Mark it first as I said, so you can see how you are doing.

Don't bother with the small nut. Obviously, check your neck is straight, yada yada yada...

It wasn't ok with the first nut. There was a roughly 1cm high shim in the neck when I got it, and the owner said it didn't work properly because the nut was too high. If it was ok with the first nut I wouldn't have bothered with the small nut. It's just the seller of the new nuts said something about the "big" nut not being for the top of the neck, yet I got one anyway because it was more like the original.

The whole neck is in a bad condition, I just want this remotely playable. Guess I'll try again with the big nut.