so I have compiled a list of manufacturers who make 8 string guitars. it may be useful to anyone shopping or curious about 8 strings. I'm doing a story about it on my blog and I want to make sure this list is complete. if you know of a manufacturer or luthier thats not listed here, please add it to the list. this is the only place I can get a real answer so thanks in advance.

conklin
www.conklinguitars.com
huffschmid
www.hufschmidguitars.com/
blackmachine
www.myspace.com/blackmachine
esp
www.espguitars.com/
novax
www.novaxguitars.com
ibanez
www.ibanez.com
schecter
www.schecterguitars.com
LGM guitars
www.lgmguitars.com
B.C. Rich
www.bcrich.com
story about the first B.C. Rich 8
http://www.robertconti.com/gear.html
rico jr
www.ricojrguitars.com
dean
www.deanguitars.com
nevborn
www.nevbornguitars.com/
oni
www.myspace.com/oniguitars
first act
www.firstact.com
halo
http://www.haloguitars.com
Agile
www.rondomusic.com/8StringGuitars.html
guerilla
www.guerillaguitars.net
EAT YOUR GUITAR GEAR BLOG
Quote by BigDC
how difficult is it to build your own guitar?
Quote by Gibshall
It's hard, annoying, and makes you want to punch a baby.
Last edited by fullsailstudent at Apr 25, 2009,
Guerilla guitars makes 8 strings... they're not too well known though, I found them in Steve's music in Montreal. They're good guitars.
http://www.guerillaguitars.net/
Gear:
Fender Hot Rod Deville 2x12
Custom Built Guitar (made it myself)
PRS SE Soapbar II Maple
Fender Stratacoustic (Stolen! )
Digitech RP200
Boss MT-2
Roland Microcube
I like my stuff!
seems to me like agile is an in-house brand. so its basically made by rondomusic. its probably a really good guitar for the money seeing how its technically factory direct. do you know anyone who has one? are you close to rondo music?
Quote by BigDC
Quote by Gibshall
personally i wouldn't buy an 8 string...but that's just me.

if you want to get a REALLY low tuning just buy a 7 string, but i still thing people who tune down to drop a or something are overkilling it
My Gear
-ESP truckster
-Ibby RG 7 string
-Mesa/Boogie Studio Preamp (Mk2C+ mod)
-Mesa/Boogie 50-50 Stereo Poweramp
-Mesa/Boogie Vertical 2x12 (C90 and EVM)
add that if you really have a lot of money, you could get a custom from the illustrated luthier or whatever hes called
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by muse-ik
Guerilla guitars makes 8 strings... they're not too well known though, I found them in Steve's music in Montreal. They're good guitars.
http://www.guerillaguitars.net/

dude the relic job on the M-8 is f*n sick. grindcore music player is a welcome luxury.

Quote by georgakis187
personally i wouldn't buy an 8 string...but that's just me.

if you want to get a REALLY low tuning just buy a 7 string, but i still think people who tune down to drop a or something are overkilling it

they just want to hit the notes that bass players hit. and in some cases they want to get into extended range bass territory. I have seen the 9 string guitar. the novax 8 string that charlie hunter uses is actually a hybrid of a bass + guitar. 3 bass strings. he plays jazz and it sounds amazing.

Quote by nutinpwnsgibson
add that if you really have a lot of money, you could get a custom from the illustrated luthier or whatever hes called

do you have a pic of an 8 string he has done before? or even a link to his site?
Quote by BigDC
Quote by Gibshall
Last edited by fullsailstudent at Apr 25, 2009,
Quote by georgakis187

if you want to get a REALLY low tuning just buy a 7 string, but i still thing people who tune down to drop a or something are overkilling it

Extended range guitars aren't for playing downtuned things without having to downtune - they're for extended range. It's the player's choice whether they want to do BROOTAL CHUGZ on the lowest string, but you can do that just as easily on a 6 as you can a 27-string. I don't see what the problem is here.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
entended lower range guitar = downtuning on a regular guitar

although the lowest your gonna get on a 6 string is C. a barritone 6 will get to anything if its 27" or more scale length. the nut should be redone once you settle on string gauge and tuning. the 7 strings have a B# or B that can go down to A (G or F on a 27" scale length). the 8 strings I see are almost alway 27" scale length but they put the gauge of strings to allow a 4th below B (F#). after that, its not uncommon to tune the lowest string down a whole step for drop tuning (bar chords) but they also sometimes tune the whole instrument down a whole step. sometimes they do both. that is the extreme.
regular 8 string standard tuning
F# B E A D G B E
regular 8 string tuning in perfect 4ths all the way
F# B E A D G C F
whole step down from standard is like this
E A D G C F A D
whole step down all 4ths
E A D G C F A# D#
standard drop E
E B E A D G B E

and finally the most brutal

whole step down all 4ths drop D (the low octave D!)
D A D G C F A# D#

can you do that on a 6 string? sure you can. but its an octave up. like a girly guitar. the biggest enabler for drop tunings isn't how many strings you have, its the scale length (27 inch or more)
Quote by BigDC
Quote by Gibshall
Quote by fullsailstudent

do you have a pic of an 8 string he has done before? or even a link to his site?

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseactioan=user.viewAlbums&friendID=60939090
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by fullsailstudent
can you do that on a 6 string? sure you can. but its an octave up. like a girly guitar. the biggest enabler for drop tunings isn't how many strings you have, its the scale length (27 inch or more)

Girly guitar? Not everyone wants to be BR00TaLZ with 8 strings and drop tunings.