Hi everyone
Quick question for you finishing maestros...
Wipe on poly? How to get it looking smooth and glassy? I've tried wipe on varnishes before.... ugh, blotchy, inconsistent. Does it work the same?
Thanks!
GC

Edit: I've also heard of ppl using wipe on poly (or vinyl sealer) to act as a pore filler. Any experience out there on this?
And for filling pores is wipe on good? Or rather wipe on vinyl seal for that (assuming we are going for a wood finish, not solid paint).
LP Addict, I though you used wipe on poly?
^for filling pores wipe on is good but you have to do it the right way. You dump it on the body and then use an old credit card or something similar to spread it around the guitar. When you do this you are pushing the finish into the pours and trying to scrape all the finish that doesn't go into the pours off while you are spreading. If you leave it thick or just paint it on then the wipe on will still ruin the rest of your finish.
Not taking any online orders.
Quote by LP Addict
whipe on poly = fail, its for finishing floors for the most part, wont be smooth or level.

THIS!

spray poly can even be a pain in the ass make sure you spray poly on a flat surface and do not spray heavy coats other wise you are going to have a runny mess
also Poly requires a long drying time.

poly not the best finish to use if you have never done it before.

I would recommend Clear lacquer instead JM.02
Founding Member and President of UG Geezer Guild
Poly isn't lacquer. Poly is pretty much plastic. Lacquer takes forever. 2k poly btw takes only a day or so to get rock hard.
Thanks Corduroy that answers my question.
Thanks everyone!

GC
Quote by GoldChocobo
Poly isn't lacquer. Poly is pretty much plastic. Lacquer takes forever. 2k poly btw takes only a day or so to get rock hard.
Thanks Corduroy that answers my question.
Thanks everyone!

GC

Um lacquer will dry enough to handle after a couple of hours. I'm not sure exactly what 2K poly is but all the poly urethane I have ever used takes at least 24 hours to dry and at least 2 weeks to completely harden,
that is why I don't use it very often.
Founding Member and President of UG Geezer Guild