Thebiz
UG Nubsakc lolz!!1!
3,917 IQ
I have noticed that many bands nowadays are gimmicked beyond compare into writing songs/riffs that give you nothing to think about. Personally, I like the kinds of bands that give you an emotional response, or make you think...and mean something overall.

What bands do you like that do this? I would have to mention Coheed and Cambria (see avatar of course); even though they are a concept band, they show much passionate and/or psychological merit. Others would be Incubus, Smashing Pumpkins, Foo Fighters, System of a Down has some great songs like these, Mastodon and Tool.
"Music is an expression. Not competition." ~ Woe, Is Me

Guitar
ESP LTD Viper 400

Amp
Orange Crush 35LDX
guitarsftw
UG's Boss
860 IQ
Lamb of God, Kreator, and a lot of other metal bands offer their observations on society and the times. also, a lot of REAL rappers do, too.
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
strat0blaster
growing out of the snake
1,098 IQ
For me, 30 Seconds to Mars is like that. So is 10 Years, who are one of my favorites. Flobots do the same - some of their stuff is inspiring.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
cgolden
Ug's Jewish Grammar Nazi
754 IQ
Trivium does a lot too. The Human Abstract writes about real stuff, and seconding the above, much of hip-hop and that genre gives good insight into political and social ideas.
And guitarsftw, I'm Jewish too!!!
I play guitar in a ska band.
Modded MIM Strat > Fender Tuner > Bugera V55HD > Custom built 2x12
TyrsFromAbove37
Banned
165 IQ
I second the fact that metal bands have some of the most thought provoking and deep lyrics...

With no fan base to essentially worry about impressing, they can write whatever they want, which normally makes for some VERY good writing...
alaskan_ninja
UG Fanatic
402 IQ
Jawbreaker
Brand New
Bloc Party
Texas is the Reason

All have some great, meaningful, thought-provoking lyrics.
kill all humans
TasianSensation
1,273 IQ
angels and airwaves have a positive message in most of their songs.... very inspiring
Call me Michael...

Mixing
Need something mixed? Send me a PM with the details! Cheap rates, fast turnaround, satisfaction guaranteed!

Certifications:
Pro Tools HD9
Logic Pro 9 Master Pro
evilsquirrel
I'm a squirrel, I'm evil.
25 IQ
RISE AGAINST!!

also some bullet for my valentine...hearts burst into fire, say goodnight and tears don't fall my favourites. I prefer the acoustic versions of them.
neidnarb11890
so bored with the USA
270 IQ
The Smiths
Joy Division
Gang of Four
Dead Kennedys
Minutemen
Crass
zephyrclaw
comPOSER
1,987 IQ
Quote by TJ1991
Manic Street Preachers. Full of gimmicks, but one of which is deep lyrics.

I'm actually listening to Autumnsong at the moment, coincidentally enough! It's amazingly uplifting and great to listen to, I must say.

I would have to say that most music has meaning in its lyrics, so you could be here for a while listing almost every band in existence if that's the path you're going to follow. However, for "ultimate deep-ness", I'd probably nominate Armor For Sleep and Gatsby's American Dream as two of my personal favourites.
PlectrumKev
238 IQ
If you despise the fakeness of people, scenesters and the 'cool gang', then id definately reccommend The Cribs.
TJ1991
Custom User Title
3,722 IQ
Quote by zephyrclaw
I'm actually listening to Autumnsong at the moment, coincidentally enough! It's amazingly uplifting and great to listen to, I must say.

As catchy as it is, it doesn't really make my point. Probably the least meaningful Manics song ever.
Darth-Caedus
Sith Lord
10 IQ
Nevermore, Kreator, (Early) Metallica, Rise Against, Atheist, Warrel Dane...and several others
TheRedCrunch
29 IQ
Bob Dylan
U2
Rush
Rage Against the Machine
The Police
Incubus
Megadeth
Rise Against
riti
Adam Jones
542 IQ
TOOL is the encyclopedy
People keep asking us where Paul is. That's a really funny question. See, if Paul was still in the band then we wouldn't have a new fucking record. That's why Paul isn't in the band anymore. (by Maynard James Keenan)