Page 4 of 34
I'll chime in with a Billy Hyde story.

I was looking for a guitar with a double locking/good floating trem, HSH and a thin, flat neck, specifically bolt on with a basswood body (pretty much an RG prestige) or an equivalent from another brand.

him: 'hey mate how can I help you'

Me: '*explains situation*'

H: 'Oh, we don't carry Ibanez (which I did know)....You want a Schecterrrrrrrrr'

M: 'Sorry mate, the thicker necks just don't feel as nice'

H: 'it's matt black, by Schecterrrrr, it's got a coil split too. And it's Schecter so it's good for metal'

M: 'No thanks, I don't want a black guitar'

H: 'alright, try this *hands me a TOM bridge guitar*'

M: 'No trem'

H: 'You can bend without the other strings going out of tune, and it's still Schecterrr'

M: 'I'll just grab some picks'

The funniest thing an emplyee has ever done was when my then beginner friend was looking for his first guitar.

Friend: 'I'm looking for a yellow-ish Les Paul'

Employee: 'Like that one?'

F: 'Yup, looks good.'

E: *grabs a Gibson Les Paul Standard....Plugs into a Mes Dual Rec* 'all set'

Friend who couldn't really play at all at that point 'ummm, yeah, all good'

I was in hysterics at this point. Then my mate realised how loud 100 watts is. Almost fell of the stool. I just about died.
now i remember this one time the guys were being stupid. so there were these two guys, which were the "knowledgable" ones in the store. however, i came to play on some heads, but not wanting to damage anything, i needed a speaker cable. not seeing speaker cable anywhere, i asked them if i could have some to try the amps out, and they acted like they new everything and told me that all the cables were attached near the amps and guitars (they obviously didnt know what speaker cable was). i kept on telling them thats not what i needed, but i gave up and walked away. what i find even worse is that as i walked away, i could hear them making fun of what i had said, as if i was talking about some weird thing that never existed.
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by unet
We dont have GC's here...but once i was at a music shop and plugged into a Laney LC30 (trying it out) and this rep came over, sat down, plugged into a crappy LX120 right next to me and drowned the thing out.

And then said i was playing too loud.
Dumbass.

Haha, my sister is like that. I would be playing unplugged on the couch, she would tell me to quiet down, and then she would go play the piano and blast it, calling me loud.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
Actually, the Guitar Center in Davenport, Iowa ****ing rules. I've NEVER had a bad experience there, probably because I'm friends with all the employees. They never try to unload ****ty gear on me, they just recommend me stuff that has what I ask for.

Seriously.

Me: "Hey, I'm looking for a good distortion pedal, John, can you show me what you've got?"
John (GC Employee): "Yeah, we've got *shows like 12 distortions*, the cheapest is on the left, most expensive is on the right, feel free to try them out."
Me: *tries* "I like this MXR one, how much is it?"
John: "Oh yeah, I like the Classic Distortion too. It's on sale for $30 right now, and I can throw in a patch cable for free."

Bought it right there.

Me: "John, what do you guys have in terms of wah?"
John: "We've got all the Crybaby models, the Morley Bad Horsie, and the Ibanez Weeping Demon, they're all hooked up. Go try em out."
Me: *tries* "How much is the Ibanez?"
John: "$100."
Me: "Holy ****, I'll take it. That's so much cheaper than I expected."

Same as above.

Me: "John, I'm looking for reverb, and I'm on a budget, what have you guys got?"
John: "We've got the Holy Grail, Nano Clone, Small Clone, and Marshall Regenerator. You wanna try them?"
Me: "Hell yeah. *tries* I love this Marshall, plus it has flanger and phaser, so I don't need to buy those. How much is it?"
John: "It's an old model that nobody has bought in like four years, so I can give it to you for $30."

I have NEVER looked back from that purchase, and it turned me onto the world of Marshall effects.

The only remotely bad experience I had when trying **** at that GC was when a new employee was working John's station cause he wasn't in yet. I asked for delay for a budget, and she showed me a $225 delay pedal. What the ****. I ended up buying another Marshall online.
7-String Legion
Quote by TheJem
Justice4AllOne pretty much mentioned all of my ideas so yeah...pointless pun post.

Quote by MightySumo
Thanks fer settin me straight on that Justice

Quote by oneblackened
I was thinking that too, Justice usually seems like a pretty knowledgeable guy.
Quote by KISSguitarist
Marshall MG's are a great amp.

"They have an awesome dirty sound"

Dirty? He meant muddy. :-)

I blame myself for buying that MG-30DFX at GC--I didn't know about UG until about a year later.

To the salesman's credit, he didn't have any other suggestions since I was set on a Marshall and that was the only one in the price range. He threw in a free extended warranty on it. I've only had local shops try to push Spiders on me.

The GCs in Virginia were pretty good--one drum guy even drove about 100 miles round trip to the distribution center in his own car to get me a set of Roland drums that were so new no one had any in stock yet.

Can't say the same about the one in San Antonio, though. Nothing nice to say about them at all.
Quote by Justice4AllOne

Me: "John, I'm looking for reverb, and I'm on a budget, what have you guys got?"
John: "We've got the Holy Grail, Nano Clone, Small Clone, and Marshall Regenerator. You wanna try them?"
Me: "Hell yeah. *tries* I love this Marshall, plus it has flanger and phaser, so I don't need to buy those. How much is it?"
John: "It's an old model that nobody has bought in like four years, so I can give it to you for $30."

The thing i don't like about that is that you asked for reverb and he showed you a small clone. that probably would have been the point where i walked out.
Local store:
Me: "Hi i have this vintage amp and it gives me awesome tones, i'm looking for a mahogany guitar to get those warm, and clean swamp rock tones... any epiphone les paul's?"
Guy: "You don't want those, those are crap, try these!" *points at a Ibanez Gax 30
Me: "Yeah...i don't like those agathis tones"
Guy: "Nonsence... this is the les paul for the not-so-rich"
Me: "Yeeeeah.... ill just buy a Jazz III pick please"

Not to mention he tried to sell me a Spider III 75 watt and told me it's the best amp for small gigs.

Never went to that store again...
I walked up to teh salesman, and said i wanted a pure tone, and he was liek "how bout a grunge pedal? they r br00talz!!" and i said "no thanks, i was raped by a Grunge as a child", then i played my 12 string RIC through my P00rity amp and everyone loved me. and then teh store started to throw out all teh effects pedals because they saw how bad they was and the took teh p00rity out of your tonez.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Quote by Jhachey22
I walked up to teh salesman, and said i wanted a pure tone, and he was liek "how bout a grunge pedal? they r br00talz!!" and i said "no thanks, i was raped by a Grunge as a child", then i played my 12 string RIC through my P00rity amp and everyone loved me. and then teh store started to throw out all teh effects pedals because they saw how bad they was and the took teh p00rity out of your tonez.

icwutu...
So honestly, how much extra do they get paid for selling you a Spider III?
Squier Strat (Jazz/JB) - Dunlop Zakk Wylde Crybaby - Boss MIJ HM-2 Distortion - Peavey Valveking 212 - Fender CD60
Quote by Jhachey22

Win
My Setup
Epiphone SG
Ibanez RG2EX1

Line 6 Vetta
Peavey Vypyr 15 for teh lulz

Check my clips out

Click foar epic clipz
"Here check out this guitar! *grabs Squire strat off the wall* It's what all the pros play and its got a floyd rose!"

It had a stock squire trem.
Edwards Les Paul Custom
Burny SG Junior
DIY Telecaster
Keeley RAT 2
Marshall JCM 800 4104
Quote by Pretty. Odd.
So honestly, how much extra do they get paid for selling you a Spider III?

I'm not sure, but I know they get more for selling them. I know someone who used to work at a GC, if they don't make a certain amount in sales commision monthly, they get fired, which explains why they are all rushing to sell you spider IIIs when they know there are many better amps in the price range.

There are still quite a few retards that work at these stores though. Just because they work in a guitar store and we don't doesn't mean they know everything.
Quote by Bloodavian
Its not about the Radio its about talent, the front man has a bigger vocal range than Micheal Jackson and he can sing from heavey metal to high pitched ...No.12 on the top 20 under rated guitarists of ALL TIME...etc

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
Quote by darkcheef
Lol I guess im weird...

I'm left handed and play righty

You're not weird at all. That seems to be what a lot of lefties do. I'm simply too left hand dominant(i.e. I even switch my fork and knife back and forth when I cut then pick up food) and don't need some GC clerk telling me to play righty simply because I point out that it sucks that they don't carry lefty guitars when he asks what I'm looking for(I didn't give the impression that I was new to playing at all).

As an aside, that was a while ago. I've since discovered the wonders of internet shopping so lefty guitar availability is not as much of an issue(still going to have to custom build my lefty iceman at some point though )
Quote by Zoot Allures
Or you could just string a guitar the other way...

you dumb ****. the only way u can sucsessffully do that is with an acoustic guitar. however were on an electric guitar forum so... fail.

on topic i said i played a les paul and the guy points to an ibanez (thich didnt even remotely resemble a paul) and says " oh like one of these babys?" was he High?
Being a Bass player is pretty LOW i.m.o...
My Gear:
squier strat HSS
(coming soon) hand built superstrat style.
(coming soon) hand built mahogany spruce top acoustic.
Fender Mustang I 20w
Line 6 FLoor POD (standard)
Quote by Mrfussytabs
you dumb ****. the only way u can sucsessffully do that is with an acoustic guitar. however were on an electric guitar forum so... fail.

on topic i said i played a les paul and the guy points to an ibanez (thich didnt even remotely resemble a paul) and says " oh like one of these babys?" was he High?

actually this isn't an electric guitar forum either so the fail is on you. there are separate forums for both electric and acoustic. And you can restring an electric backwards too you just need to replace the nut and adjust the intonation
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
Quote by Mrfussytabs

sorry but you my friend, fail.
Quote by shakin'cakes
First of all, I enjoy deathcore for it's complexity and it's the only genre heavy enough for me

Quote by Highway60Bob
I want an amp good for playing hippie tunes. I want it to be an actual amp, not a tube amp.
Quote by Mrfussytabs

hendrix.

'nuff said.

also

"Guitar Gear & Accessories" - ah, thanks for pointing out that word 'electric' in the title. I might have missed it otherwise.

EDIT: actually, *reported* for flaming
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by liam_barker_12
lol thats **** all i honestly swear a bloke in a popular guitar shop told me that putting gibson burstbuckers into my epiphone les paul would make NO DIFFERENCE TO THE SOUND!! haha

He wasnt totally messing with you. Burstbuckers are shait compared to say Fralins and Lollars.
Fender Telecaster 62 Sunburst
Squier Stratocaster w/.013s
1958 Fender Twin
Xotic BB Preamp
t.c. electonics nova delay
MXR Phaser 90

Thats it.
Not really in a GC, but it was a big store.
Salesman: "Yeah Orange amps aren't bad, but they are kinda overpriced compared to Marshall."

I stole his pick
Ibanez RGA 8 (Dimarzio D Activator 8)->Rocktron Hush->Engl E530 preamp->Marshall 9200 poweramp->Marshall 4x12 closed back cab w/ G12t75's
Quote by David_Bowie=GOD
I'm not sure, but I know they get more for selling them. I know someone who used to work at a GC, if they don't make a certain amount in sales commision monthly, they get fired, which explains why they are all rushing to sell you spider IIIs when they know there are many better amps in the price range.

This isnt true unless their GM is a douche. And the Spider IIIs do not net the most profit. Line 6 stuff generally isn't super profitable
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge
Quote by Mrfussytabs

*Reported* Also, get your facts straight, you can only successfully do this on an electric without extensive modding

happy failboating there sir
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge
Me "Can i show you something over here?" Referring to guitar at back of shop
Him "it's not your penis is it?"

hmmmm....

That and, can i play this Affinity P-Bass?

Yeah when you put a grand on the desk.
Last edited by Chilli 3000 at May 6, 2009,
Wowww...people leave me alone because I guess I have this don't screw with me look on my face when I play. I usually know my crap and only have smart and helpful people come up to me anyway. What was kind of stupid was a dude telling a kid to turn the tube amp down because the rest of the world likes quiet rock and roll...
Last edited by sg4ever at May 6, 2009,
Quote by Zoot Allures
Or you could just string a guitar the other way...

You need to invert the pick-ups,
Add an extra strap button or two.
Quote by lukegjpotter
You need to invert the pick-ups,
Add an extra strap button or two.

how do you mean? I've never done that, and the pickups sound fine. Pickups are just Magnets with copper line tied around it, so either way you have it sitting in the guitar, it wouldn't make a difference. unless you are speaking about angles, then it's just an unnecessary hassle.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
He's got a point about angles and the fact that a Fender, for instance, has staggered pole pieces which are specific to the strings they are under. Jimi Hendrix preferred that tone.
It's kind of semantics though. If it sounds good keep it.
Stupist **** ever so I got to guitar center and im playing a gibson alpiine white les paul through a 6506 cause thats what I got at home and wanna see what it would sound like, so this dumbass waslks up to me and says what amp do you play? and I tell him a peavey 6505 and he starts laughing. He then points at a 120watt spider combo and says those are loads better on the distortion I looked at him like ur kidding. sad part is he wasnt I bought that alpine and just left I havent gone their since
Guitars
1959' Gibson Reissue Les Paul
Gibson Alpine White Les Paul Studio
EVH Fender Frankenstrat
Jackson DKMG
Gibson les Paul Voodoo
Amps
Bugera 6262
Line 6 Spider III 75 combo
a gc employee said i wouls someday need to upgrade my xxx head, and he said that if i got a spider halfstack, it would never need to be upgraded. it is just sick!

fail
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

Mesa Boogie Mark III blue dot Coliseum

Mesa Traditional 4x12 v30's x EVM 12l's

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
Quote by Shinozoku
Actually, the guy is kinda right. You probably just haven't played any GOOD bolt neck guitars.

Oh, well here at the Cedar Rapids GC, almost all the guitars are **** lol
Quote by 6SixShoot3rsUp
Stupist **** ever so I got to guitar center and im playing a gibson alpiine white les paul through a 6506 cause thats what I got at home and wanna see what it would sound like, so this dumbass waslks up to me and says what amp do you play? and I tell him a peavey 6505 and he starts laughing. He then points at a 120watt spider combo and says those are loads better on the distortion I looked at him like ur kidding. sad part is he wasnt I bought that alpine and just left I havent gone their since

Your sig is wrong, btw.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
to be fair, it's not just guitar center that as ignorant employees, but yeah... anyway the perfect guitar moment was when I was looking for my first guitar amp

Me: Hey i'm looking for a good beginner's amp

GC: Why don't you look at one of these marshall MGs? they're supposed to emulate the marshall tube amps

Me: What's a tube amp?

GC:.... Just play it and see if you like it

Of course I was a noob back then but i would think they would hire an employee who would at least be able to tell me the difference between a tube and ss amp
Quote by ghiyath
to be fair, it's not just guitar center that as ignorant employees, but yeah... anyway the perfect guitar moment was when I was looking for my first guitar amp

Me: Hey i'm looking for a good beginner's amp

GC: Why don't you look at one of these marshall MGs? they're supposed to emulate the marshall tube amps

Me: What's a tube amp?

GC:.... Just play it and see if you like it

Of course I was a noob back then but i would think they would hire an employee who would at least be able to tell me the difference between a tube and ss amp

That bit in bold is the best bit of advice about buying amps. Better than most people round here who say 'oh yeah, jump on the WE HATE MGS AND SPIDERS BANDWAGON CUS ITS C00L'
Me: "Yeah, I have a crappy Fender Frontman 15G, and am looking to get a bigger and better amp, probably 50+ watts and a good clean and distortion channel. I'd prefer tube but just show me what you have."
Him: "so i herd yuo liek line6 spidres??"
Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser Deluxe
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster
Quote by asfastasdark
Me: "Yeah, I have a crappy Fender Frontman 15G, and am looking to get a bigger and better amp, probably 50+ watts and a good clean and distortion channel. I'd prefer tube but just show me what you have."
Him: "so i herd yuo liek line6 spidres??"

dunno why...but i lol'ed...hard...
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
Went into guitar center looking for a nice leather strap for my bass...
Me: Which strap would you recommend for helping with the weight of my bass, this Levy's strap looks nice (it was the extra wide leather strap)
GC: No you dont want to get a bigger strap for that, you need a smaller, lighter strap *hands me a 2 inch strap*, a bigger strap will just add more weight.
i went in to gc to get my brother a china cymbal and describing it to some employe he had some confused look on his face so i told him it looks like a cymbal with a bend around it. he told me they dont make anything like that. 5 min later i found and bought what i needed
Me - "Hey do you guys have any of the Alexi Laiho Dunlop Strings yet?"
GC - "lolwut? What are those? Oh isn't that the guy from 'Child of Bod-dom' or something?"
Me - "Umm nevermind."
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
Quote by Roc8995
"This Peavey [Windsor] is like a Marshall, but better"
me: "ORLY"
"Yeah, they took a Marshall and wired it backwards"
me: "...wut"
"They put the power tubes after the preamp so it's like the preamp is always on full gain"
me: "That's, um, that's nice." *backs away slowly*

Swear to god. To this day my friend and I joke about taking our amps apart and rewiring them - backwards - for better tone.

i totally pictured an owl playing you in my head.
Quote by breakdown123
i totally pictured an owl playing you in my head.

As did I...
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.