Page 5 of 34
Thankfully, I live 150 miles from the nearest GC.

When I do shop at my local store, I try to go in knowing generally what I want. The first time I ever went to this store:

Employee: Hey, man, can I help you?
Me: Yeah, I was wonder what you had in the way of British-voiced tube amps.
Employee: Tube, huh? Well, we've got this Line 6 Spider Valve over here, and it's got a B-B-B-BOGNER POWER AMP!!!!! *waves arms around*

He's a pretty cool guy, though, we get along well now.
A story about a place that was very soon afterwards taken over by Billy Hyde (Australia)

I'm not sure if this is bs, but i've never had any experience of what this guy was talking about...

I was in the store looking at teles, but also checking out a couple of strats. When I said that I preferred the Tele (I also preferred the discount on it :p) the salesman said "Yeah, I play a tele, but only because i find that I hit the middle pickup when I play"

I've never had that problem when playing with a 3 pickup guitar, but i'd like conformation... was that most likely bull****?

*EDIT*
"Yeah, I play a tele, but only because i find that I hit the middle pickup when I play other guitars "
Amp: Peavey Classic 30
Guitar: Fender Telecaster USA Standard, Ibanez (Not sure of the model), Shitty Acoustic
Last edited by boozebarron at Sep 13, 2009,
Hey dudes, Please peoples, explain to me why those salesman at music store are trying to sale you guys any of the spider line6 amplifiers. First of all , those are cheap to buy and are not making any money on their sales or commission, so why?. Ah , maybe mom can't afford any of those high ends tube amps or you can't come up with enough cash ? You want to talk about tube amps ,well forget about marshalls,mesa....over price, or fender's maybe, well not so! They are all the same wires and tubes like any other one. Most people on this forum believe that emg81 rocks???? I've got news for you, these were made for the people in the same reason that cheap amplifier were made( spiders amp, peavey vypers, etc.) so you could think that it will make you play like pro's do. And so ,they will buy it. Don't blame the salesman at the guitar store. Have a haircut , take a bath, pop a mint, and leave that Megadeth t-shirt at home and maybe they will take you seriously. Oh and i forgot...don't mumble when you talk, articulate , we can't understand what you're saying. That was my point of view from the salesman perspective. The slackadjuster.
Last edited by slackadjuster at Sep 13, 2009,
The other day I was looking at a 5150II in my local GC, the guy is trieing to tell me to plug into this Bugera 1960, which he says the 5150 is a copy of...
i went into Long and McQuade (Canada's equivalent of Guitar Centre) and i asked a guy there if they had a 50 watt Vintage Modern head in stock. the dude came back and said "yeah we've got one in, it's about $450" and i thought "that can't be right" so he said "that's the price man, you said Marshall MG50dfx right?" turns out his department was in the brass section.

i realize this sounds like a very cliched, fake, internet story, but this actually happened to me. never went there again.
Quote by slackadjuster
Have a haircut , take a bath, pop a mint, and leave that Megadeth t-shirt at home and maybe they will take you seriously.

stereotype 'nuff?
I went to Long & McQuade. The guitar guy was like- don't buy the Princeton Recording amp. I have one and it doesn't have cleans or distortion, all it has is reverb. Buy a Spider III instead.

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
Quote by jc349
I went to Long & McQuade. The guitar guy was like- don't buy the Princeton Recording amp. I have one and it doesn't have cleans or distortion, all it has is reverb. Buy a Spider III instead.

i would've torn the strings off whatever i was playing at the time and choked him to death with them.
Quote by jc349

What the ****? How does an amp have no cleans or distortion? Sure, an amp may have no cleans, and an amp may have no distortion, but how can it just have reverb? That's like an amp just having chorus, it makes no sense. Wow...

Quote by boozebarron
A story about a place that was very soon afterwards taken over by Billy Hyde (Australia)

I'm not sure if this is bs, but i've never had any experience of what this guy was talking about...

I was in the store looking at teles, but also checking out a couple of strats. When I said that I preferred the Tele (I also preferred the discount on it :p) the salesman said "Yeah, I play a tele, but only because i find that I hit the middle pickup when I play"

I've never had that problem when playing with a 3 pickup guitar, but i'd like conformation... was that most likely bull****?

*EDIT*
"Yeah, I play a tele, but only because i find that I hit the middle pickup when I play other guitars "

Maybe he hits the switch lightly. I just find that it gets in the way for me, since I just use the bridge pickup and the neck pickup.
Last edited by Alex Vik at Sep 13, 2009,
Quote by Alex Vik
Maybe he hits the switch lightly. I just find that it gets in the way for me, since I just use the bridge pickup and the neck pickup.

No, he was saying the actual physical pick up itself, not the switch.
Amp: Peavey Classic 30
Guitar: Fender Telecaster USA Standard, Ibanez (Not sure of the model), Shitty Acoustic
Quote by boozebarron
No, he was saying the actual physical pick up itself, not the switch.

My friend plays on a tele, and when he picks up my strat he always hits the middle pickup itself while playing, so i guess it's a common "problem" with those who play on a tele.
Fender MIA Stratocaster (with SD Twang Banger)
Epiphone Les Paul Special II
Johnson Acoustic
Palmer FAB5
im glad i dont live around these jackass large-chain stores.

i live near 2 privately owned and well run music stores, who have admitted to me several times that MGs are ass, and they give away Spiders with squiers, thats why they stock them. They got those new spiders in the other day, so i lined up a Spider III 15w and a Spider IV 15w, and the only difference was cosmetic.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

THis didn't happen in Guitar center since i live in Ireland and have never seen a guitar center but it still annoyed me enough to post it. I was looking for a pedal to give me a nice lead tone so i was explaining that i wanted a hotter lead tone than i was currently getting. He then started laughing and asking me what the hell i mean by hotter, he offered to set a guitar on fire for a hot sound and basically made it look like i was an idiot. Maybe not the stupidest thing ever said but it really pissed me off how ignorant he was
MIA Fender Strat
Yamaha FG-450S
Crafter 12 string
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Vox AC30CC2
Epi Valve Junior
Fulltone Clyde
Danelectro Free Speech
T.C. Electronic Vintage Dual Distortion
Boss MIJ GE-7 (c1987)
Boss TU2
MXR Phase 90
Artec delay
i'm glad i don't live anywhere near any guitar shop like that.

the worst i get is this shop where the guy pretends to jizz his pants whenever someone picks up a guitar and plays it, and says "ooooh yeah that sounds so good!!!"
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
I'm also glad I don't live anywhere near GC. The guys at my Local music stores are always pointing me to brands like Fulltone, T Rex, Radial, MI Audio and even this new brand called Tortuga.
I have a couple:
Me: Is there a big difference between a Fender Jaguar and a Jazzmaster?
Employee: Mainly electronics and the fact that a Jazzmaster has P-90 pickups
Me: Really? I thought they were just way too big single coils
Employee: Nope, they're P-90's
I get home, do half a second of research and start laughing my ass off, ok it's more misinformed than stupid, but still...

This happened in the same chain (Keymusic, it's European), just a different store
Me: Could I try the Jazzmaster and the Jaguar out?
Employee: What amp do you have
Me: Orange Crush 30R, you know, the little ones
E: Oh, this Orange Tiny Terror (the combo one) has a pretty similar sound
Me: Ok...
Since I had no other choice, i tried it out on the Tiny Terror

Last story is more a story about how lame they are in trying to sells stuff, it's a different store (supposedly the largest and cheapest store in Europe, still laughing my ass off about how stupidly expensive they are)
Me: Could I try out a Fender Jaguar, just to hear it and see how it feels
E: Sure, but all we have is this MIA one
Me: Can I try it out?
E: *extremely hesitating*
Me: *waits for an answer*
E: Have you played any before?
Me: Yeah, I've played one in another store
E: Sure, come this way

I was laughing my ass off once he left the room

That's about it for me, never got any Spiders or MGs dumped on me, I guess I either look like somebody who knows something, or I go to good stores
Gear:
Fender Jazzmaster
Boss DS-2
Digitech RP150 (with Line6 EX-1 Exp pedal)
Orange Crush 30R

My Youtube Page
Read this!You know you really want to...

Quote by poipoi
I have a couple:
Me: Is there a big difference between a Fender Jaguar and a Jazzmaster?
Employee: Mainly electronics and the fact that a Jazzmaster has P-90 pickups
Me: Really? I thought they were just way too big single coils
Employee: Nope, they're P-90's
I get home, do half a second of research and start laughing my ass off, ok it's more misinformed than stupid, but still...

This happened in the same chain (Keymusic, it's European), just a different store
Me: Could I try the Jazzmaster and the Jaguar out?
Employee: What amp do you have
Me: Orange Crush 30R, you know, the little ones
E: Oh, this Orange Tiny Terror (the combo one) has a pretty similar sound
Me: Ok...
Since I had no other choice, i tried it out on the Tiny Terror

Last story is more a story about how lame they are in trying to sells stuff, it's a different store (supposedly the largest and cheapest store in Europe, still laughing my ass off about how stupidly expensive they are)
Me: Could I try out a Fender Jaguar, just to hear it and see how it feels
E: Sure, but all we have is this MIA one
Me: Can I try it out?
E: *extremely hesitating*
Me: *waits for an answer*
E: Have you played any before?
Me: Yeah, I've played one in another store
E: Sure, come this way

I was laughing my ass off once he left the room

That's about it for me, never got any Spiders or MGs dumped on me, I guess I either look like somebody who knows something, or I go to good stores

p-90's are large single coils, you were both right, its just that the official p-90 is those made/owned by gibson
I asked a salesman for recommendations...

"Hey, I was wondering what amp you would recommend for around £350?"

"Do you want to play in a band?"

"Yeah, in the near future."

"Okay, the obvious choice would be the Marshall MG100, It's got a ton of effects, and it's as loud as you like!"

"Mmmm, I haven't heard to good things about the MG, and I've tried out the old one, it was pretty bad."

"Who told you that!, the new MG's are nothing like the old ones, what bad things have you heard? "

"Well, they sound very digital..."

"Not at all, the only the that's digital is the overdrive."

"Well, I might come and try some amps out later, I haven't got any money at the moment."

"Okay sure"

"Thanks for your time"

Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
"Dude, turn it down"
"this marshall is badass"
"Why do you have your Mids all the way Up?"

I have a question for Mr. GC who posted earlier. Why does 60 year old technology cost more than 2 year old technology?

You know, the GC in south sacramento is better than the music shops around here. I asked them for a nut and a 500k pot and an input jack and it took them like 5 minuts to find the right ****

And what the hell "King of the Blues" competition is won by a girl who plays like ****? And who likes John Mayer? And why the hell did we have to play to a goddamn music track. Anyone who learned how to play blues the right way can't play with a track as well as with a person because there is nothing to feed off of. A machine has no feeling. That wasn't a blues competition, it was a wank competition. A blues competition would have been a capella. Man i should have won.........

And why the hell does everybody at guitar center want to show off and shred without context to anything? And why do "Shredders" always seem to play the marshall half stack? And why does everyone like that dry nasty sound of distortion with no mid?
I am the only sane person on the planet. Does that make me crazy?

Crank the Mids
So i go in and try the new gibson les paul on a peavey jsx combo. "Im like cool its the new les paul." so i plug it in then over 5 employees pass by me saying nothing or not even looking at me. Then this douche bag manager passes by me 10 times and looks at me.

Then i unplugged it to play other guitars then i go back to the les paul for the second time. So when i plug it in i missed only once and tapped the wood slightly. The manager comes up to me and starts saying "Are you gonna buy?" and im like "no im just trying out" so hes like "go play a squire or a epiphone" im like "why?" then hes like "can you pay 2000 if you brake it?" im like "sure"

Then i just wanted to end the arguement and then comes this 60 year old man who can barley hold a guitar. He comes up to me and ask "can i try it?" the manager looks at him and doesn't mind him playing STANDING UP WITHOUT A STRAP!!!

I got all pissed off and right before i left the store this kid and his dad are guided by the same manager to a mg series amp and he starts to say "its one of the best amps out there!"

man i was soooo mad that day
Any Glasgow UGers recall the morons at Soundcontrol?
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
^ (2 posts up) Yeah, some dick from this pov music shop that I'll never go to again (it's 100km away from me, I was there visiting friends who I now don't speak to) told me that he wasn't letting a guitarist who looked like they hadn't been playing even a year (he hadn't actually seen me play, just assumed from my sporting club clothes or something) play a Dean ML (the only good guitar they had) before going on a rant about how terrible Slash is and how the Les Paul is the worst guitar ever. I uttered quite a few choice words to that guy, let me tell you. Biggest wanker EVER.
I was told , "buy a BC Rich because Rich players get more p**sy".
7 string Legion 7 > 6 Do mosh pits warm your heart? Then become a SECOND RATE CITIZEN.....better than the worst!
Quote by jaybals
p-90's are large single coils, you were both right, its just that the official p-90 is those made/owned by gibson

jazzmaster pickups are more different to P-90s than you might think. other than the basic principles of converting the string vibration into an electrical current with magnets, they have very little in common as far as constructions and dimensions go and deliver a completely different tone too.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by slackadjuster
Hey dudes, Please peoples, explain to me why those salesman at music store are trying to sale you guys any of the spider line6 amplifiers. First of all , those are cheap to buy and are not making any money on their sales or commission, so why?. Ah , maybe mom can't afford any of those high ends tube amps or you can't come up with enough cash ? You want to talk about tube amps ,well forget about marshalls,mesa....over price, or fender's maybe, well not so! They are all the same wires and tubes like any other one. Most people on this forum believe that emg81 rocks???? I've got news for you, these were made for the people in the same reason that cheap amplifier were made( spiders amp, peavey vypers, etc.) so you could think that it will make you play like pro's do. And so ,they will buy it. Don't blame the salesman at the guitar store. Have a haircut , take a bath, pop a mint, and leave that Megadeth t-shirt at home and maybe they will take you seriously. Oh and i forgot...don't mumble when you talk, articulate , we can't understand what you're saying. That was my point of view from the salesman perspective. The slackadjuster.

I was about to flame you to hell - then I saw the last bit...
Quote by Fly-By-Night
Went into guitar center looking for a nice leather strap for my bass...
Me: Which strap would you recommend for helping with the weight of my bass, this Levy's strap looks nice (it was the extra wide leather strap)
GC: No you dont want to get a bigger strap for that, you need a smaller, lighter strap *hands me a 2 inch strap*, a bigger strap will just add more weight.

...The hell? You don't need to be a guitar geek to know about how mass : area ratios work. I learned that **** in school when I was like 12, and already knew it, because it's common sense.
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
Quote by slackadjuster

these are the kids that make me roll my eyes as soon as they step foot into the guitar store. i should also add "and shave that dirt off your lip"
-----------------------------------------------------------

Dr. Z Stangray
G&L ASAT Classic (Ron Kirn Custom T-Style coming soon! ronkirn.com)
Keeley 4 Knob Compressor
Taylor 314ce
I was on holidays in australia lat year and wanted to try an ENGL amp in Billy Hydes
Me: Hey, can i try out this engl?
Clerk: Yeah sure, what do you play?
Me: An old Ibanez RG 560(the ones with a Dmarzio h/b and 2 Dimarzio single coils)
Clerk: Cool, try this, its exactly like your guitar......

He handed me a Shecter with a fixed bridge and emg humbuckers......................................
i asked a guy if i could try out a guitar
he said " no "
i asked why and he replied "no" again :S

i showed the nob my money and just said "unlucky then "

x
Hey Just found this thread so I figured I'd throw my 2 cents in

I have a couple of good stories one of my faves is I was told "there is no way to be able to tell if a set of strings of been put on a guitar or not"
In all fairness, how many stupid customers do you think they (GC) deal with in a day?
It's most likely staggering. When you work there, at some point you realize you just simply need to make a sale. Any sale. But yeah, I've heard/seen some pretty scary stuff go down @ my local GC. I walked out with a floor model JSX combo that I scored for $300. The guy that sold it to me told me it needed a major repair and was "shot". That major repair was new power tubes.
Quote by TheEsupremacy
In all fairness, how many stupid customers do you think they (GC) deal with in a day?

I guess many metal kids walk in and ask them for the br00t4lz. What else could they do than sell them a Bronze Warlock and a Spider?
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
I went into my local store and said these words to the guy working there. "I'm looking for an amp for about £500, needs to handle Metal and Classic Rock well." His reply. "Well, you might wanna check out these Spiders.". I said No and he then put me on a Randall so it worked out okay in the end. Since then he's never BS'ed me again.
Quote by Roc8995
"This Peavey [Windsor] is like a Marshall, but better"
me: "ORLY"
"Yeah, they took a Marshall and wired it backwards"
me: "...wut"
"They put the power tubes after the preamp so it's like the preamp is always on full gain"
me: "That's, um, that's nice." *backs away slowly*

Swear to god. To this day my friend and I joke about taking our amps apart and rewiring them - backwards - for better tone.

Ibanez RGT42DX
Vox AC30C2
Digitech Whammy (FOR SALE!)
Dunlop GCB-95F Crybaby
Boss DD-20
Boss SD-1
Ibanez TS9DX
MXR M-108 10 Band EQ
True story:

GC Sales rep: "Yeah you just don't get good quality guitars outside of the US"

Me: "Uh actually, Fender made quite a few guitars over in Japan during the 80's and they're really sought after by collectors. Not to mention they're widely considered to be on par with some US made fenders"

Sales rep: *panics* oh yeah, actually my takamine was made in asia and it's my favorite guitar!

Also:
"Les Paul invented the electric guitar!"

God I hate those people....
after i bought my Rebel, some pierced-to-hell, tattooed emplyee said:

"Gawd, why do people keep buying single channel amps? i don't care who you are: Zakk Wylde, Hendrix, Clapton, Nugent, whoever, you're going to sound boring on a single channel amp 'cuz you always sound the same".

this was the guy who tried, quite unsuccessfully might i add, to sell me an FM three years earlier.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Quote by Jhachey22
after i bought my Rebel, some pierced-to-hell, tattooed emplyee said:

"Gawd, why do people keep buying single channel amps? i don't care who you are: Zakk Wylde, Hendrix, Clapton, Nugent, whoever, you're going to sound boring on a single channel amp 'cuz you always sound the same".

this was the guy who tried, quite unsuccessfully might i add, to sell me an FM three years earlier.

^Lol, i'm sure a plexi will not get boring how ever you fiddle with it

I do however, like to play dumb on some guys and then BAM a super smart question and the guy would be like "Ugh, think it's lunch time..."
Quote by Fly-By-Night
Went into guitar center looking for a nice leather strap for my bass...
Me: Which strap would you recommend for helping with the weight of my bass, this Levy's strap looks nice (it was the extra wide leather strap)
GC: No you dont want to get a bigger strap for that, you need a smaller, lighter strap *hands me a 2 inch strap*, a bigger strap will just add more weight.

When I was reading I thought he would say...
"No you dont want to get a bigger strap for that, you need a... Spider III amp I've got over there!"
I didn't know so many people recommended those Line 6 products. Well, right now I have a Spider III 30w but it's because it's my first amp, I wanna buy another one soon.

Well, a strange thing I've experienced is that when I wanted to buy my first electric guitar and amp, in the first two stores (not GC though) the employees told me that I shouldn't buy a small amp (15~30w), they said I should buy the 100~150w big ones instead. Who the hell recommends those kind of amps to beginners?

In the store I usually go they were really helpful and recommended something which seemed good to a beginner. But my father made me buy my guitar and amp from his friend
Quote by PnT
When I was reading I thought he would say...
"No you dont want to get a bigger strap for that, you need a... Spider III amp I've got over there!"
I didn't know so many people recommended those Line 6 products. Well, right now I have a Spider III 30w but it's because it's my first amp, I wanna buy another one soon.

Well, a strange thing I've experienced is that when I wanted to buy my first electric guitar and amp, in the first two stores (not GC though) the employees told me that I shouldn't buy a small amp (15~30w), they said I should buy the 100~150w big ones instead. Who the hell recommends those kind of amps to beginners?

A 15-30 watt tube amp can get loud enough to shake the paint off your walls. What the hell would anyone need a 100 watt amp for anything unless they were playing at Woodstock (Being facetious). You get the best tones when you crank it. A 100-150 watt amp is a stage am, not a practice one.

If your buying a new amp and you like the idea of a spider and you've nothing at your feet, go with a Valvetronix by Vox. Vox has really good amps. Fender makes good amps too.
I am the only sane person on the planet. Does that make me crazy?

Crank the Mids