1,002 IQ
no its what ever is most comfortable to you both are right
Quote by travs2448
is the puppy solid state or tube?

Quote by diceksox1809
solid state. when she screams it pisses me off

^

Quote by GrizzlyFnAdams6
Dimebag had s*** tone and that guitar plays like an abortion. Come at me, bro!

Quote by jpatan
It's because Garth Brooks brings the ****in' br00tz.
HeXeL
69 IQ
I used to hold the neck like you showed when I stared up. Eventually I switch to the "normal" way. Just found it to be more relaxed and natural.
iheartprog
148 IQ
yours is fine if its comfortable for you, it will be tough for you to play really complex folk and whatnot without using your thumb though.
dNWaKE
2,347 IQ
If I play mostly rock/metal, it should be fine right?
Magnum Delta
12 IQ
the way you're holding it, that's what I would call classical style.
The 'right' way you're referring to is rock style.
Classical style is when you want to use your pinky alot, like for shredding and playing like waaaaaay fast.
Rock style is more suited to playing pentatonic scales. And bends go much easier too if you have your thumb over the neck.
Hope that helps.
Nevermind1299
Reeeepppttaaaarrrr
88 IQ
I put my thumb over the neck when doing chords like Em C and all that, at the top of the neck. if i'm moving up and down the neck I keep my thumb basically the same way you do and so do some people I know. So, i'm assuming you're good.
britishsligean
1,226 IQ
it's personal choice although some teachers say one way is correct whilst the other is wrong
randomhero93
Refined Knowledge
707 IQ
depends. If i'm playing a scale, my thumb's over the top. if i'm playing chord progressions (power chords), it's behind the neck.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
The Loliver
185 IQ
I play with both of them. Depends on where my hand is on the neck. As long as you start using the other way SOMETIMES, you should be fine methinks.
tenfold
Ibanez Supporter
343 IQ
Your position should have the thumb bent the other way so the pad is flat against the neck (occasionally will not be flat but that's ok). It allows for a lot less tension and more flexibility.
You should only use the first position if you need to bend/vibrato or mute the thick strings in chords like D Major.
Last edited by tenfold at May 3, 2009,
Geldin
1,677 IQ
The second image is the "classical" way (at least that's what I've heard it called).
The first image is kind of like holding a baseball bat.

The classical hold is the best all-around. You will have more comfort, reach, and speed with this kind of holding. However, the baseball hold is much more useful for whole step or even 1-1/2 and 2-step bends as well as vibrato. However, holding it like that for entire songs (unless it is called for that often and can be done comfortably) is unsafe and can lead to wrist issues.
technical death
MAIN TANK
789 IQ
mine is same as yours, except my thumb is straight and not bent in. i use that other way to bend strings tho

oh and i can relate to what geldin said.. my wrist hurt like hell when i started with improper technique
Last edited by technical death at May 3, 2009,
Natrone
UG's Festive Brad Paisley
3,126 IQ
I switch between the two. When I play power/barre chords, the thumb jumps back to the way you do it. All other times, I hold it "baseball bat style". Feels natural to me. That being said, I'm also a baseball player that is on JV rather than C team purely because I'm a good batter
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Alex Vik
UG's Zoidberg
4,967 IQ
Quote by Shuin_Zwei
dude I think we have the same size of hands... my hands is kinda small so I was having a problem like g chord....

Well, that was a bass in case you didn't know (I don't if the neck is bigger than a guitar neck..), but yeah, small hands suck.
Shuin_Zwei
54 IQ
Quote by Alex Vik
Well, that was a bass in case you didn't know (I don't if the neck is bigger than a guitar neck..), but yeah, small hands suck.

oops sorry didnt know that...
MarauderNL
Registered Abuser
113 IQ
Quote by _-Joey-_
I sometimes switch between the two!

Yeah, same.
Especially when I need some more grip I go for #2.
This is the part where you are supposed to be amazed by the awesomeness of my sig.
Rio38
Slowly Getting There
1,695 IQ
It really depends on what is comfortable to you. The great thing about the guitar is that there is no set right and wrong way to do things in many situations.

If the way you hold the neck feels comfortable and you are able to play well that way, then it is right for you. I hold the neck like you do for much of the time, but it depends on what I am trying to play and whether I am sitting or standing.

As long as your thumb does not hurt or is not strained from holding it that way, go for it.
Gear:
Fender Strat
Epi Joe Pass Signature
Epi LP Plus Top
Jackson Dinky
Fender Hot Rod Deville 212
Last edited by Rio38 at May 4, 2009,
Shuin_Zwei
54 IQ
Quote by Rio38
It really depends on what is comfortable to you. The great thing about the guitar is that there is no set right and wrong way to do things in many situations.

If the way you hold the neck feels comfortable and you are able to play well that way, then it is right for you. I hold the neck like you do for much of the time, but it depends on what I am trying to play and whether I am sitting or standing.

As long as your thumb does nto hurt or is not strained from holding it that way, go for it.

this is what i'm waiting for... I feel wrong whenever I practice and slightly create my own style whenever any chords is complicated with my hands... thanks dude for enlighten us
KidCanary
157 IQ
I'd suggest slightly altering your thumb position, dNWaKE. Looks like you're really jamming it on the neck, and putting a lot of pressure on the knuckle.

Someone with more medical knowledge may correct me on this, but I don't think that would be good for the thumb, and you may run into problems later on.

Just try flattening it a little so there's more of the pad pushing against the neck rather than just the tip.
Yess
TURN-THAT-THING-DOWN!
10 IQ
It doesn't really matter how you hold it, actually. Just try to find the most confortable way that fits your style
Zakk_Lp
1,802 IQ
If its comfortable to you and doesn't strain you at all its right.
I mean i hold it both of those ways depending on where i am on the neck and what type of thing im playing its not really a concious decision its just something i naturally do.
Julian2103
913 IQ
I have long fingers bt I hold the neck the same way as you do but I find the grip varies for different chords.
Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 FR 08' edition
Zoom Gfx-5
Roland Microcube
Laney HCM15 Hardcore Max
Takamine G Series EG341SC
Axe Murderer
1,428 IQ
Ouch! Your way looks painful and forced!!!

I smell carpal tunnel not too far off.... (just kidding)

I started like that too, cause, "your thumb should be at the back of the neck dead center". "Your fingers should be curved just so and on the very tips".

LOL

Just keep playing.

Eventually your hand will relax into a comfortable functional position thats right for you.
Freepower
v It's Back! :D
3,277 IQ
To be honest, your hand should be somewhat like the second, but far more relaxed and with the wrist straight. Take a look at my posture vid and the stickies.
Casualist
56 IQ
Mostly it's a bad thing to be gripping the neck with your palm,

but it severely depends on WHERE your hand is located on the neck, and which strings you are playing.

Where to hold the neck will come naturally as you practice and find the easiest/best way to position your hand for each position on the neck
dNWaKE
2,347 IQ
When I play the guitar with my way (especially standing up), my wrist feels strained. What should I do? I feel that if i switch to the "rocker" style, i would have to relearn how to play alot of things using that style. playing the "classical" style just comes natural to me but my wrist feels strained
Ikonoklast
Banned
807 IQ
Both are good depending on the situation. It's almost impossible to do big stretches with your hand in the 'blues' position (thumb over), but bending strings properly will be tougher with your thumb at the back of the neck.
tenfold
Ibanez Supporter
343 IQ
Quote by dNWaKE
Here's a video i made (sorry for the bad playing) to show you guys my technique. how can i improve the way i hold the neck? is it wrong? sometimes my wrist feels strained.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0cspuBj3SQ

Your wrist is bent an awful lot. Try sticking the guitar on your left leg, putting your left leg up more, lifting that guitar up more in the air, and getting your wrist straighter.
Put your thumb behind the neck when you vibrato or bend, that will hurt your wrist a lot, it's probably why you feel strained.
Don't bend the thin strings down either, it's a little harder at first but once mastered, it's easier to put the thumb behind the neck and bend it up.
Use your pinky too! The pinky can some in super handy and if trained correctly, can take a lot of tension off your fretting hand in some licks.
dNWaKE
2,347 IQ
Quote by tenfold
Your wrist is bent an awful lot. Try sticking the guitar on your left leg, putting your left leg up more, lifting that guitar up more in the air, and getting your wrist straighter.
Put your thumb behind the neck when you vibrato or bend, that will hurt your wrist a lot, it's probably why you feel strained.
Don't bend the thin strings down either, it's a little harder at first but once mastered, it's easier to put the thumb behind the neck and bend it up.
Use your pinky too! The pinky can some in super handy and if trained correctly, can take a lot of tension off your fretting hand in some licks.

Shouldn't I practice with the guitar not so high up like that so it would be easier for me to play when I stand up?
tenfold
Ibanez Supporter
343 IQ
Quote by dNWaKE
Shouldn't I practice with the guitar not so high up like that so it would be easier for me to play when I stand up?

Yeah but you can always angle it up a bit up when you stand up too.
dNWaKE
2,347 IQ
Quote by tenfold
Yeah but you can always angle it up a bit up when you stand up too.

You mean by raising the strap?
Into The Unknow
UG's Psychologist
496 IQ
Too me its looks like your holding it the correct way (as i do the same), as for the standing up part, i usually only play standing up albeit with my legs spread very wide ("big ass power stance" as the drummer put it) and tilt the guitar up a bit And when I'm at the higher end of the fretboard i have my thumb over the top of the neck.

On another note, liking the ibanez (just guessing from the fretboard as i have the same guitar)
Quote by 7stringusr
+99999999999999999999999999999999

Guitars

Ibanez XPT700 Xiphos
"Jackson Warrior" (still needs funding)

Amplol

Crate GT65

Pedals

Vox Satchurator
Cry Baby
Phraser

My Last.fm

Fallout 3 Data
Last edited by Into The Unknow at May 7, 2009,
dNWaKE
2,347 IQ
Quote by Into The Unknow
Too me its looks like your holding it the correct way (as i do the same), as for the standing up part, i usually only play standing up albeit with my legs spread very wide ("big ass power stance" as the drummer put it) and tilt the guitar up a bit And when I'm at the higher end of the fretboard i have my thumb over the top of the neck.

On another note, liking the ibanez (just guessing from the fretboard as i have the same guitar)

Haha thanks, I recently upgraded from a crappy cheap guitar to this Ibanez RG4. Its a world of a difference.
From_The_Ashes
469 IQ
I'm not that talented. I can't play with my thumb wrapped around the neck to save my life.