Asomodai
Bitter UG Veteran
3,376 IQ

(Note, view the photos fullscreen for a good view at that FLAME)

Hey guys. blast from the past with a flying visit here.

I aquired this in a straight trade for a Status S1 that i wasent getting on with, and a Gary Willis fretless that was lovely, but wanted to move on up.

Specs:

AAAAA sunburst flame maple with lined ebony fingerboard, twin Bartolini soapbars and bartolini custom pre-amp and mid boost switch, in immaculate condition with a fitted Pedulla hard case.

Its a little bit gorgeous, The actions pretty damn low. The barts i am a tad dissapointed with. As many people know they kill mids completely, very dark sounding, would rather replace them with EMGs or Nordstrands. They do have their place though and i can get some usable tones out of them. Would prefer a little more grind.

However, it is a marvellous bass to play, Currently using it in a Doom death metal band. Looks awesome on stage. Has some sweet harmonics when played.

The construction is top notch (Though for a £3000 it must be!) The control cavity cover is made from the same peice of Maple the bass is made from (I wish more manufacturers did this).

Hopefully this bass will be staying with me for a long time I need to get some of the sound issues sorted out but should be fine!

If anyone would like to know anything else about the bass, please feel free to ask.
Pedulla MVP5
Gibson Grabber
Warmoth Antigua PJ
Ovation Magnum 1
Last edited by Asomodai at May 3, 2009,
solid_moose
Bass Player
162 IQ
Nice, my old bass teacher had a Pedulla, it sounded amazing, fretless would be even better.

I just don't like the horns, though, they look like they suffer from some kind of birth defect
Quote by telecastrmastr
if this goes in someones signature im gunna be pissed

Quote by jimithrash
what do you mean by goat
gm jack
Warwick Fanboy
241 IQ
Very nice. Shame the pup's aren't your think, but considering the other basses you have had and Bart's reputation of being very smooth, it doesn't surprise me. As you said, getting a nice pair of Nordstrands in there should bring it to life.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
the humanity
A Political Man
3,177 IQ
nice bass.

I almost got to play one, but alas.

play Sunshine on it for me :P
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
anarkee
oh the horror!
3,136 IQ
That is one beautiful bass. I have to say--I am absolute ***** for flamed maple.
thefitz
I Hate Naming Instruments
2,922 IQ
Very impressive! I'd love to play/own one of those. Would love to hear some obligatory sound clips with it, though.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
fatgoogle
Needs of cheese
1,192 IQ
Lovely bass, istill think there beautiful bass's with the horns, and well im a sucker for flamed\quilted maple, in any kind of burst. Sound clips please.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
the humanity
A Political Man
3,177 IQ
by the way, asomodai, you may choose a song for the songs to learn thread to replace a song already in there.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

Confused2316
The Waffler
637 IQ
Long time, no see, Asomodai.

I've never liked the body style of those Pedulla's (prefer the Raptures or Thunderbolts), but I'm sure it sounds and plays amazingly. How does it compare to those old BCRs of yours?
Moser Custom Shop 5-string Scimitar
Moser Arachnid
Fender Jazz MIM
Digitech Bass Driver
Morley Dual Bass Wah
Genz Benz GBE750
Genz Benz GB410T-XB2
crazypeanutman
wilson, king of prussia
640 IQ
that is a sexy bass
Quote by Mr. T
"Mr. T defines love as the reluctance to murder. If you're still alive, it's because Mr. T loves you."
Micehorns
177 IQ
I believe I seen your Status on basschat (do you post there?), was it a bright red flamed top with a graphite neck and gold hardware? What was up with it? It looked fantastic!
the humanity
A Political Man
3,177 IQ
T_T

oh dear.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

watchingmefall
Government is hell
1,458 IQ
Quote by the humanity
T_T

oh dear.

In the morning I was working while listening "Turn the beat around", damn catchy song.

On thread, that is a beautiful bass, but I am somewhat surprised at your opinion of the pups, I'd like to hear a clip to understand exactly exactly what you mean.
the humanity
A Political Man
3,177 IQ
Quote by watchingmefall
In the morning I was working while listening "Turn the beat around", damn catchy song.

On thread, that is a beautiful bass, but I am somewhat surprised at your opinion of the pups, I'd like to hear a clip to understand exactly exactly what you mean.

???

how is that relevant to my post? but ok.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Micehorns
177 IQ
Quote by Micehorns
I believe I seen your Status on basschat (do you post there?), was it a bright red flamed top with a graphite neck and gold hardware? What was up with it? It looked fantastic!

Oh well, I was correct.

If you ever return to this forum, how come it's up for sale?
m4l666
is a Proper djentleman
1,051 IQ
Supah sexaai bass... You play a fretless in a doom band? That's awesome!

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

Bassilo
Yamaha BB605
849 IQ
/\ not really. If anybody here saw Deathclock Metalopocalypse, there's a really good joke there about bass.
"This next album will be even DEADLIER, GLOOMIER, and KICK MORE ASS!"
"How come?"
"We cut the bass out of the mix COMPLETELY."

All of today's manifestations of "death-doom-infernal-apocalyptic-rust-etc." metals are all about hairy dudes twirling their hair, and a mediocre drummer doing tacka-tacka-tacka on the double pedal.
the humanity
A Political Man
3,177 IQ
^because it can't just be a form of music you can take the time to appreciate?
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Bassilo
Yamaha BB605
849 IQ
I appreciate classical music, though I don't listen to it. I appreciate indie, though I don't listen to it. I appreciate electronic, symphonic, oldschool and even rap music.

Doom/whatever is not music. It's extreme cacaphony, which apparently, is being used to summon the spirits from Hell. Or so the guys would like to think.

Matter of fact, I've been tricked into coming to a friggin PAGAN-METAL band show. Just say it: PAGAN-METAL. If the name doesn't sound silly, then "death-metal" tunes, where the words "soul", "demons", "inferno" are substituted with "Perun", "Valhalla", "Ragnarok", "Odin", etc will.

Unfortunately, due to the widespread of internet and self-proclaimed musicians, everything became music. Even rats gnawing on rotting flesh is "Existance" music, apparently.
Bassilo
Yamaha BB605
849 IQ
It don't matter what I think per se, it's not gonna change anything. Unfortunately, this American-induced all around tolerance is setting records in pretty much every aspect of life there is:
EVERYTHING is music, even though it's crap, cuz we don't wanna hurt anybody's feelings;
EVERYTHING is religion, as long as it envisages a certain deity (Satanism and sacrificing gotta get legal!!!); And so forth.

I really miss the 90's, cause it was the time, when artists needed labels, and labels were looking for quality artists. Now it's just an issue of an M-Audio USB interface, Nuendo, and Myspace to pollute people's ears.

Sorry for the rant, I'm just frustrated.
gm jack
Warwick Fanboy
241 IQ
Quote by Bassilo
I really miss the 90's, cause it was the time, when artists needed labels, and labels were looking for quality artists. Now it's just an issue of an M-Audio USB interface, Nuendo, and Myspace to pollute people's ears.

A lot of extreme metal acts who enjoy a lot of popularity today formed and got signed in the 80s and 90s. For example, there was a large black metal movement in the early 90s. Just saying.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
watchingmefall
Government is hell
1,458 IQ
Quote by Bassilo
It don't matter what I think per se, it's not gonna change anything. Unfortunately, this American-induced all around tolerance is setting records in pretty much every aspect of life there is:
EVERYTHING is music, even though it's crap, cuz we don't wanna hurt anybody's feelings;
EVERYTHING is religion, as long as it envisages a certain deity (Satanism and sacrificing gotta get legal!!!); And so forth.

And don't slag America will the all around tolerance and what not, most of that is just a result of postmodernism, and we can see it with the experiments of John Cage, Jacques Derrida, etc. Eventually the public was going to catch on with the arts movements. Sure, Cage is not talking and composing postmodern but alot of his philosophies and mind set can be traced.
Last edited by watchingmefall at May 30, 2009,
jp58
162 IQ
that thing looks amazing
xbox live gamertag: phillips215
thefitz
2,922 IQ
Quote by Bassilo

Bang on.

And when I heard the term PAGAN-METAL I actually started crying.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
the humanity
A Political Man
3,177 IQ
I feel there is no such thing as inherently crappy music.

there are musical genres that have more notably crappy bands in them, for example pop- punk has Fall Out Boy.

just because most rap out there is recycled garbage stolen from rock and techno doesn't mean there aren't bands with amazing writing in hip hop. I'm sure there are. I don't like it myself just because I'm not much for having that many synths sounding synthy and fake sounding drum beats, but there are actual musicians hidden in the garbage of hip hop.

there was one guy I read about in bass player one time who sounded like he actually was being creative with hip hop bass.

don't remember who, but he was certainly writing stuff. Didn't care to listen but he is out there, somewhere, clubbin in da hood in his '62 Chevy or whatever.

metal has great musicians. metalcore has great musicians even. death metal has great musicians.

the ones the media likes to throw up front nowadays are usually the ones the media can control easily, regardless of skill. usually good looking, nice, friendly, and easily manipulated people.

if a virtuosic musician fits that, well, throw him in a CD case and pump out some virtuosity!

death metal is a valid genre. annoying and distorted? of course! it sounds like white noise with a backbeat and a throat cold all mixed together. does it take skill? yes. it is not easy to make. there are only so many ways to easily make white noise. I can appreciate the musicianship. just don't play it around me.

by the way, one of the grooviest drummers I ever met was a death metal drummer named "Fat" Joe. he liked to play the blues every once and a while, but would rather play what he liked, and he was good at both. so he plays metal, and I play more solid rock. a lot of their drumming isn't hard, but it takes skill to do that for hours on end, it takes skill to do it the same way every time. their drummers are not as caged in and forced to be subtle with their virtuosity like in more poppy music, but that doesn't mean they suck. that means they just do things differently.

EDIT: that is a lot of text.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

thefitz
2,922 IQ
Quote by the humanity
I feel there is no such thing as inherently crappy music.

And this way of thinking is the reason the overall quality of music is so low. We've stopped demanding quality. But I'll save the soapboxing for my final blog, as this is exactly what it's about.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
the humanity
A Political Man
3,177 IQ
Quote by thefitz
And this way of thinking is the reason the overall quality of music is so low. We've stopped demanding quality. But I'll save the soapboxing for my final blog, as this is exactly what it's about.

I believe any genre can be forced into having virtuosity.

I believe the music industry does not want that, because it will allow musicians to gain a lot of power over their music. because if they aren't unique with their own sound, or virtuosic in some fashion, the media controls their success in the pop market.

rap could be a launching ground for perfect lyrics, sweeping synth textures looping to provide an aural landscape, funky basslines, jazzy drumming, soulful lead guitar- but if it took a lot of skill to make rap, then the industry couldn't just go tell a random gangster they're awesome and give them a deal. then milk them for everything until they're not able to be used as a high demand product anymore.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard