Page 3 of 10
Could I get some suggestions on beginner's blues songs, in other words ones that are more widely liked? Seeing a wall-like list of artists is intimidating and I'm looking to listen to some more bluesy music in conjunction with exploring the genre on guitar.
You want standards?
Things to check out include:

Sweet Home Chicago
Rollin' And Tumblin
Damn Right I Got The Blues
Stormy Monday
Pride and Joy
Hideaway
Baby Please Don't Go
Key To The Highway
Everyday I Have The Blues
Mannish Boy
Hoochie Coochie Man

If you need more, this is a prety comprehensive list
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_blues_standards
Quote by sinan90
Nina Simone at Town Hall, and her Friends, at Carnegie Hall, Sings the Blues and High Priestess of Soul. To be honest most of her stuff is pretty sound.

i kinda figured that, but i just wanted a second opinion on a good album to start with.
'Music is the best"
Zappa
I errantly posted a request outside of this thread and was "reported", so I'll repost it here.

I've been really enjoying some "newer" (relative) upbeat swing stuff like Zoot Suit Riot and Brian Setzer Jump, Jive and Wail.

Can anybody recommend some other songs/artists in that style?
hey, im looking to get into listening and playing blues but i know very little, i was wondering if you could point me in the direction of some blues artists/songs that sound like led zeps since ive been lovin you and i cant quit you (i realize that it is a cover). im looking for that nice smooth guitar playing.

any help is greatly appreciated, thanks
Quote by MRavioli
What's a good acid jazz album by Miles Davis?

I wouldn't say Miles' fusion recordings were "acid jazz" per se, though one can assume at least some of the personnel involved through Miles' fusion years were tripping in any literary and metaphorical capacity. but I guess "On the Corner" would be recommendation.

In fact, I highly recommend Bill Laswell's remix of some of the tracks from that album in his suitably chemicalized tribute to Miles' in his Panthalassa album
I'm looking for some blues based/influenced hard rock (ie- Down, Corrosion of Conformity, etc), any suggestions?
^ AC/DC

Ok guys, I have a question, really important.

I have a gig booked for me on short notice, and I need 2 hours worth of blues/rock to play I have like halk an hour and we are going to improvise for a bit but can you guys give me some songs that I could learn easyly (vocals and guitar) but the end of the week?

Thanks!
Quote by element4433
One time I watched a dog lick his own dick for twenty minutes.

Quote by Roc8995
No.

Well, technically it could be done, but only in the same way that you could change a cat into a hamburger. It's an unpleasant process, and nobody is happy with the result.
^ Here's just a few:

Rory Gallagher - Bullfrog Blues - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GvQ5gNKsQ4
(also check 'Walk On Hot Coals' and 'Bad Penny')

Brainbox (Jan Akkerman) - Dark Rose - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6yv2t8FwA8

Humble Pie - Four Day Creep - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVVWrhZ_8xw

Deep Purple - Lazy

James Gang (Joe Walsh) - 'Funk #49' or 'Walk Away'

Ram Jam - Black Betty

Robin Trower - Too Rolling Stoned
thanks Strawforest, that may or may not have helped, depending on what happens!

thanks a ton dude.
Quote by element4433
One time I watched a dog lick his own dick for twenty minutes.

Quote by Roc8995
No.

Well, technically it could be done, but only in the same way that you could change a cat into a hamburger. It's an unpleasant process, and nobody is happy with the result.
Quote by bellamy_morello
hey, im looking to get into listening and playing blues but i know very little, i was wondering if you could point me in the direction of some blues artists/songs that sound like led zeps since ive been lovin you and i cant quit you (i realize that it is a cover). im looking for that nice smooth guitar playing.

any help is greatly appreciated, thanks

Buddy Guy
BB King
Freddie King
Shouldn't Shawn Lane be on the Jazz Guitarists list?
Guitar: Jackson JS30KV
PSN id : craig_241
Steam
Feel free to add me!
hey guys, could anyone recommend me some musicians similar to Floyd Council or Pink Anderson?

I stumbled upon them when looking into the meaning behind pink floyd, and I have to say Pink Anderson especially has amazed.

thanks
Free your mind and your ass will follow
The kingdom of heaven is within
Open up your funky mind and you can fly

Sumdeus
I'm looking for some funk that has some good guitar, both rythem and lead, and some good bass in it to. The same goes for Blues music, and anything that's kinda a hybrid to blues and funk.
There isn't really much funk with lead guitar, it's really a lead guitar genre. There's great guitar playing, but precious few solos.

But, try some herbie hancock albums like 'secrets', 'man-child' and 'thrust' etc.

Start of with 'doin it' on secrets and you'll hear some awesome funk. ALl of the players are amazing.
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
I'm not looking for solo's, I actually would like the general lead playing, and good rythem playing to.
so I posted this before, but never got an answer. I still really want to get some stuff like this, so

hey guys, could anyone recommend me some musicians similar to Floyd Council or Pink Anderson?

I stumbled upon them when looking into the meaning behind pink floyd, and I have to say Pink Anderson especially has amazed.

thanks

Sumdeus
Quote by Gris-Gris-Man
how do you find that song distasteful?

i personally think the guitar is one of a kind...such great licks and tone

Never liked him, too many notes that have never sounded particularly well-placed to me.
Quote by romencer17
so I posted this before, but never got an answer. I still really want to get some stuff like this, so

thanks

You want Piedmont Blues.
thanks dude, that helped me out a lot

Sumdeus
Quote by Axegrinder#9
can some of you cats recommend any particular album by Roy Buchanan, where he ventures into jazz/fusion territory? I recollect coming across such an album on vinyl one time - but now I don't remember the name.

feel free to recommend any others by him that one should check out too.

He's certainly tinged all his work with jazz despite being defined as a blues player. I'm not familiar with his later studio albums but I know that's where you are likely to find the 'jazz/fusion territory'. 'Second Album' (unoriginal title!) is for me one of his better studio efforts but it's quite samey throughout, but well worth a listen particularly for the opening 3 tracks - personal favourites.

He's not been mentioned here for a while so here's an early Roy jazz/blues 'Misty' with sweet, sweet soloing - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5_kkK8Y2T
random fusion with guitar as a leading instrument

also something like guthrie govan or allan holdsworth
Quote by Axegrinder#9
On a separate note for any of those who might not be familiar with the work of Ernest Ranglin, I highly recommend the albums "Below the Bassline" and "Modern Answers to Old Problems" featuring Tony Allen of Fela Kuti's Africa 70 on drums.

Fela and Tony are awesome

have you heard the album featuring Ginger Baker on drums?
'Music is the best"
Zappa
alright, so i'm not so good at this whole "jazz" thing.

i've been slowly working my way into it over the past year or so, but still know very little.

some things that i enjoy:
-Mingus - The Black Saint And The Sinner Lady
-Miles - Sketches of Spain, Tribute to Jack Johnson, In A Silent Way
-Ornette Coleman - Free Jazz
-Sun Ra - Space Is The Place

specific tracks that i really enjoy:
-Mingus - Better Get Hit In Yo' Soul (five Mingus)
-Miles - Concierto de Aranjuez

can y'all give me some direction?
Heading of from Mingus you could try Gil Evans. Less wild than Mingus but maybe more inventive. Gil Evans with a big band is what you want. 'Gil Evans and ten' or 'Blues in Orbit'.
Quote by uhh_me?
alright, so i'm not so good at this whole "jazz" thing.

i've been slowly working my way into it over the past year or so, but still know very little.

some things that i enjoy:
-Mingus - The Black Saint And The Sinner Lady
-Miles - Sketches of Spain, Tribute to Jack Johnson, In A Silent Way
-Ornette Coleman - Free Jazz
-Sun Ra - Space Is The Place

specific tracks that i really enjoy:
-Mingus - Better Get Hit In Yo' Soul (five Mingus)
-Miles - Concierto de Aranjuez

can y'all give me some direction?

I wouldn't be to much help but of the bits and pieces of Birth of the Cool by Miles, and Blue Train by Coltrane they're amazing. You must listen to them.

Edit: It would appear that my funky dance is out of sync with Meh's funky dance.
Last edited by cornmancer at Sep 23, 2009,
Quote by imgooley
Funkadelic- Maggot Brain
Sly and teh Family Stone- Fresh
James Brown- Make it Funky
Curtis Mayfield- Superfly

I've been searching for that Make it Funky one, is this it?
http://www.amazon.com/Make-Funky-Big-Payback-1971-1975/dp/B000002G99/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1253845434&sr=8-1
Quote by meh!
Try Coltrane's Blue Train album and branch out from there.

I love the opening to Blue Train.

Anyways, looking for some recommendations for acoustic blues players to check out. I'm very interested in learning to play the blues, but I figure listening to some artists is the best place to start. Thanks.