Page 4 of 10
Lately I've been listening to a lot of Incubus songs like Summer Romance and Are You In? because of their sort of jazzy feels. Jazz has always been a genre that I want to get into because the musicianship in it is incredible, but it's just hard. Call me simple minded, but it's hard to get into an 8 minute + song that is all just random soloing. What are some nice, easy to get into songs with jazzy feels to them? Also preferably something more modern, with a singer, bassist, guitarist and maybe a couple of horn players rather than some classic big band jazz.

This is the Incubus song in question:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rT7aDgdPDYQ
Last edited by __Ronnie__ at Sep 29, 2009,
I'm looking for some jazz, but not just any jazz.

I really despise contemporary jazz where the guitar players are basically shredding, just in jazz style. I do however, like older jazz, like...new york club jazz sort of. At least that's how I picture it. Like The Dave Brubeck Band's "Take Five" or some of Duke Ellington's stuff or Sing, Sing, Sing. My Music Theory teacher in high school used to have us listen to really good live jazz recordings with like, hollowbody rhythm guitars and lead sax and scat vocals. Just really soulful, lowdown jazz unlike the high handed kind of stuff you would hear in the country club or something.

Anyone have an suggestions?
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
dizzy gillespie did scat at times and his playing is out of this world
louis armstrong's swing stuff

I think you'd really dig Blues & Roots by Charles Mingus
hello everybody
can you suggest me a jazz sax based music but with a good bit of bluesy rock in it?
however, i dont really want generic laid-back music

i think Money sax solo by PF is what mood i chase
"Us and Them" by Pink Floyd is awesome too
Originally Posted by Twist of fate
I thought the "clean" button was to clean out the inside of the amp automatically, so I never pressed it.

Originally Posted by DjBrandenburg
pedals are stupid
Last edited by Regensgeliebte at Oct 4, 2009,
Two very good albums for you:

Handful of Blues - Robben ford and the thin blue line
That's What I Say - John Scofield Plays the Music of Ray Charles - John scofield

EDIT; DIDN'T SEE SAX BIT, NEVCERMIND
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
FINALLY tracked down Fleetwood Mac - Blues Jam in Chicago

and it's ****ing amazing, great amalgamation of FWM players and Chess records players like Willie Dixon, Otis Span, Walter Norton, Buddy Guy, Honey Boy Edwards, J.T. Brown (Elmores tenor sax player), S.P. Leary..

Standout tracks are
- Little Walters Last Night sung by PG with Walter Norton on harp - sick sick solos by both, and singing is on point .. one of my favourite songs
- Otis Spann's Someday Soon baby with PG accompanying on guitar - he does a chorus long solo intro after a muck up in the count in, Spann tells him to keep 'playing that B.B thing' and PG abides. Band falls in on the turn around and Spanns vocals drive the song - another solo by PG after halfway is just icing on the cake (only problem is his guitar could be turned up a bit.. >.<
- Sugar Mama - C. Burnett song - Peter Green has the most BRUTAL tone ever on this song. It ****s on anything Clapton ever achieved - He's playing a fiery Blues rock kinda style with aggressive playing.

Definitely worth checking out, got to be in my top 10 fav albums now.
Quote by __Ronnie__
Call me simple minded, but it's hard to get into an 8 minute + song that is all just random soloing.

Believe me, it is not just random soloing.

It sounds like what you're looking for is some modern fusion, a genre of jazz that I do not know particularly well. Check out some stuff by Medeski, Martin and Wood. Some of McLaughlin's work maybe. Herbie Hancock's Headhunters has some cool funk based jazz that you may enjoy. Branch off from what you find you like.
thanks a load. i liked the john scofield thing, have to give it a good listen, which quick pair of songs promised.

Herbie Hancock's Headhunters

i decided to listen to it too. awesomeness. any chance to find something similair?
Originally Posted by Twist of fate
I thought the "clean" button was to clean out the inside of the amp automatically, so I never pressed it.

Originally Posted by DjBrandenburg
pedals are stupid
looking for some soul singers ala stax records/memphis soul kind of thing..

Got a tonne of Otis Redding, and i'm loving him, any other recommendations?
Quote by Regensgeliebte
hello everybody
can you suggest me a jazz sax based music but with a good bit of bluesy rock in it?
however, i dont really want generic laid-back music

i think Money sax solo by PF is what mood i chase
"Us and Them" by Pink Floyd is awesome too

Tenor Madness. 12 minutes of two of the greatest tenor players of all time playing over a 12 bar blues. Bluesy phrases, but also some straight jazz phrases in there too.
"I wanna see movies of my dreams"
Reccomend me some albums from John Coltrane, Wes Montgomery and Miles Davis
I already have Giant Steps, Lush Life,The Incredible Jazz Guitar of and Kind of Blue.

I really like Lush Life and Kind of Blue, so can anyone reccomend me some albums in that style?
(albums from other artists is also ok)
so i listen to mainly bands like thrice, TDWP, ABR, story of the year, and thrusday. what are a couple jazz artists i could try? i know those genres/artists are far away from jazz but, i was listening to les paul earlier today and enjoyed it. i want to give this genre a honest shot
Last edited by -tempest- at Nov 1, 2009,
Hey, I'm just starting to get into jazz guitar. So far, I've only really listened to Al DiMeola (which is more fusion, I know) and a single Pat Metheny tune (Minuano). Could somebody recommend me some similar artists, or just any good jazz guitarists that I should know? Thanks!
Neon Neon Neon Neon Neon Black

UG's #1 anti-active advocate

Gear:
Engl Powerball
Carvin DC727
Schecter C-1+
Line 6 Flextone 3
Line 6 M9
Any stuff similiar to Miles Davis' Kind of Blue out there anyone recommends?
Hull City A.F.C

Quote by Thrashtastic15
crunkym toy diuckl;ess ass ****igkjn ****** **** bitch ass pussy ****er douchecanoe ****** **** you s omn cnt you lieet le biutch
Quote by cam_sampbell
Any stuff similiar to Miles Davis' Kind of Blue out there anyone recommends?

Art Blakey - Moanin'
Cannonball Adderley - Somethin' Else
Oliver Nelson - The Blues and the Abstract Truth
Kenny Burrell - Midnight Blue
Quote by Bluestube
Reccomend me some albums from John Coltrane, Wes Montgomery and Miles Davis
I already have Giant Steps, Lush Life,The Incredible Jazz Guitar of and Kind of Blue.

I really like Lush Life and Kind of Blue, so can anyone reccomend me some albums in that style?
(albums from other artists is also ok)

Coltrane
Blue Train
My Favorite Things (these first two are similar to giant steps)
A Love Supreme (This one is a lot more experimental but unbelievable)
My Favorite Things live at newport
Ascension (these last two are coltrane playing his heart out but are difficult to listen to)

Wes Montgomery
Smokin' at the Half Note
Far Wes
Full House
A Dynamic New Sound

Miles
Birth of the Cool
Milestones
Miles Smiles
In A Silent Way (arguably the first fusion album and by far my favorite miles davis album, perhaps my favorite jazz album)
Bitches Brew (full blown fusion, very long and can be difficult to listen to)
I need some Jazz Guitar recs. I'm trying to learn how to play Jazz guitar. Something that teaches me the basics, and then something a little more advanced and then something even more advanced. Preferrably 3 different artists, but any amopunt is cool.
hey guys. i've been playing rock/blues/shred(i try) for about 1.5 years now. i wanna learn jazz guitar to improve my knowledge of the guitar and improve my improvisation skills. i think jazz really increases your spontaineity and that is something that really contributes to your improv.

im not sure about hte names of the subgenres of jazz but i basically want to learn a fast, light, happy, and free jazz. thats what entices me. on the other hand, i also wanna hear some slow and deep jazz.

thanks guys
can i get some reccomendations for jazz along the lines of : Shawn lane, Stanley Jordan, guthrie Govan?

more guitar oriented stuff? its more jazz fusion than jazz i believe. thanks.

starting to listen to more jazz and need more stuff to listen to lol.
Classical Guitarist
My favourite jazz record is Dexter Gordon's Go. Can someone show me something along the same lines?
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ
I haven't heard Go specifically but other albums similar to Dexter Gordon:
Lee Morgan - The Sidewinder
Wayne Shorter - Speak No Evil, Juju
Hank Mobley - Soul Station
Oliver Nelson - Blues and the Abstract Truth
Cannonball Adderley - Somethin' Else
Quote by Jimmy94
grant green - idle moments http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zC7k8ibGOv8
Can someone recommend me a few albums like this?

Or maybe some stuff that's pretty chord-based and has some nice dissonant progressions (preferably slower, and solo piano or solo guitar). I'm stuck in the minor pentatonic and diatonic/12-bar blues progressions and need some songs to learn/play over and I want some stuff that's less formulaic and predictable than what I'm used to playing.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Last edited by food1010 at Nov 30, 2009,
hey everyone
i was wondering if there are any jazz groups similar to django reinhardt / hot club du france, except in a more american swing style, and perhaps substituting the violin for a brass instrument.

i'm not looking for a big band or anything, a quartet or quintet with the guitar and brass instrument as the main lead instruments is the sort of thing i'm looking for.
cheers
Quote by B4Dkarma
When you look at a guy and immediately go, "wow, what a douchebag"

that is what girls find attractive.
hi ... i ve recently heard of this great band depeche mode....and good charolette .....they are really great ... people need listen to their songs sometime.

god i love fatboyslim.
as well as my last question, i was wondering if anyone knows any 'sad' sounding blues. by that i don't mean the typical 12-bar stuff, i'm thinking more along the lines of 'where did you sleep last night' by leadbelly.
it can be electric or acoustic.

cheers.
Quote by B4Dkarma
When you look at a guy and immediately go, "wow, what a douchebag"

that is what girls find attractive.
I know you guys probably get asked the same questions a lot so sorry in advance but could you guys recommend some starting point albums from some artists. I'm looking to get into jazz, earlier blues (im thinking like Robert Johnson), funk and some stuff that would be good for a beginning slide player. I want to so i can expand my musical tastes and because i've always had an interest in playing those styles, which is pretty hard without inspiration to listen to.

So i'd like album recs for:

Miles Davis
John Coltrane
Duke Ellington
Django Reinhardt
Chet Atkins
Les Paul
Frank Zappa
Blind Willie McTell
Robert Johnson
Derek Trucks
John Scofield

Those are some of the names i've heard and are interested in. 1 or 2 albums would be fine, i suppose this is more to see what i like and then i'll delve into it myself. Those are just suggestions feel free to suggest any blues, jazz or funk artists that you think might interest me.

On blues though i'd prefer the older stuff rather than the blues-rock, because it sometimes just feels a bit stale to me. Of course i don't feel i've mastered the genre but when you can play bluesy-rock licks on instinct, it just doesn't feel exciting or sonically stimulating anymore. Not that i don't like the genre, i'd just like to spice up my playing a bit.

Thanks, hope it isn't too much.
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
bump, help please.
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
Miles Davis - Kind of Blue, In A Silent Way
John Coltrane - Giant Steps, A Love Supreme
Duke Ellington - He was mostly recording stuff before the LP became the standard album length, so you'll have to go for compilations or live recordings
Django Reinhardt - same thing, just find a good compilation of him with Stephan Grapelli
Frank Zappa - Hot Rats
Robert Johnson - might as well just get the complete recordings
anyone know any good seven string jazz guitarist, or a band that uses one?
why are you looking for seven string jazz as opposed to 6 string? any good reason or just a detuned crappy one?
Quote by Jimmy94
Grant Green - Idle Moments (not the full version, which is about 8 minutes longer and has a fantastic guitar solo)
Charles Mingus - Orange was the Colour of her Dress, Then Blue Silk (No version by Mingus on youtube unfortunately)
Thelonious Monk - Round Midnight

and one more that is chill, but laid back and funky as hell
Miles Davis - Shhh Peaceful

enjoy!