Page 4 of 23
Quote by epiless
Depends on how expierienced,how and where you want to ride, and what's more comfortable.

I could handle either one. I'll be doing a lot of highway riding but also a lot of in-town riding. Just wondering whether the 1100 would be too much for riding around town or the 750 having trouble on the highway/interstate.
Last edited by space aids at Jun 16, 2011,

Didn't remember to post this after all. Lovin' it so far. Been puttin' around my neighborhood before I can borrow a truck to cart up to the DMV to take the test.
Spaceaids, a 750 will have no issue on the freeway. The main differences between the two will be top speed and comfort on extended trips. If you plan on bringing the honies with you the 1100 will probably be the better choice.
I haven't driven my car to work in 3 months.

Here's what I got. These aren't literally mine, but they are identical.

The XR650L
(Invalid img)

The CB450
(Invalid img)

The Hobbit (except mine has a milk crate on the rear fender)
(Invalid img)

Edit:

And I'm restoring a CB100 for my girlfriend.
(Invalid img)
Last edited by GC Shred Off at Jun 17, 2011,
Quote by Flying Couch

Didn't remember to post this after all. Lovin' it so far. Been puttin' around my neighborhood before I can borrow a truck to cart up to the DMV to take the test.

Can't you just drive the bike up there and take the test?

My bike. I have big plans but no money
Quote by nincompoop
potcorn56, you are a god.
That CB450 looks lovely - was going to get a 400 four (CB400F) after passing my test but decided my second bike shouldn't be a classic - too much risk of stupid clumsy drops (not that that's happened in the last year but still) and too much mantainance. My dad rides a 550 four which I've ridden a couple of times - far more fun than my YBR125 custom! Going to get a CB500 supersport (naked) and restrict it to 33bhp - its newer, more reliable and better on fuel consumption
I'm L.

emo_goth is a username from a long time ago - don't judge me for it!
I do!
Yamaha XV125 virago
Yamaha XVS125 dragstar
Honda shadow 125 (big for a 125!)
Suzuki intruder 125
The chinese things (cheap, but unfortunately it shows) - Hyosung/Jinlun 125's
I'm L.

is it worth getting a 125cc cruiser for my first motorbike when i will most probably outgrow it in a 4 months or so? Should i just get a dirt cheap 125?
Not really. I have a mate that got an XV125 as his first bike, and it had no end of problems. Personally, I think your first bike should be something plain and simple, 'sit up and beg' reliable, with good fuel consumption. If your in Wales (UK), then chances are you'll be on it for more than 4 months - probably around a year before you'll be ready to pass the full test and get 33bhp. the YBR's go fairly cheap at the moment, and from personal experience (I learnt to ride a standard YBR on my CBT - the center used them as they're very reliable, and then I got the custon model) they're great bikes. Not too slow for 125's either, I've had 80 downhill and 70-75 general on mine.
Don't get something dirt cheap - you'll spend more time playing around with the mechanics more than you'll get chance to ride it (or pay lots of money for a garage to do it for you). Get something reliable - 125's are good at not losing much value assuming you dont get knocked off or drop it at speed, so you'll be able to sell it on after your test to help get someting bigger
I'm L.

Yeah i want to get a cruiser when i pass my main test but for now ill look into other bikes Is there much of a point owning a bike in a rainy country like Wales ive been thinking about getting a bike with the car insurance like it is XD but i wouldnt be able to take amps or guitars on it.
£0-450? Not a chance. As your first bike, you want something reliable, not beaten up and falling apart, which is all that'll get you. You need about £800 minimum. Maybe in Wales you're better off with a car, motorbikes are lethal in the rain (hence why many are just 'summer' riders) and bikes dont like being rained on, especially classics and cruisers.
I'm L.

ok thanks for the advice i might get a motorbike sometime when im older and start off with a small car.
Quote by emo_goth
£0-450? Not a chance. As your first bike, you want something reliable, not beaten up and falling apart, which is all that'll get you. You need about £800 minimum. Maybe in Wales you're better off with a car, motorbikes are lethal in the rain (hence why many are just 'summer' riders) and bikes dont like being rained on, especially classics and cruisers.

If you get a bike that cheap you will at least put another 800 into it.
Went out for a lengthy ride today, got super sun burned. Planning ahead fail. If nothing else, I guess after a few more weeks of this I'll have a nice tan going. Or at least I'll be less of a pasty nerd.

Finally got to open up the throttle on the Twinstar though. Gets up to about 65MPH reliably, but if conditions are right and you've got a good straightaway it'll get up to 75-80ish. Hella windy at those speeds though.
I trailer'd my bike out to Montana with my family this summer, about a 100 miles away from our destination I hopped on my 900. First 50 miles were absolutely beautiful, then I saw a gigantic thunderstorm rolling in. Needless to say that was the first time I ever got my bike up to 100mph. Also I beat the storms by just a few minutes too.
Anyone know shit about swapping out exhausts on a carb'd bike?

Also here is the Cougar

This is the screen im trying to put on it

Last edited by epiless at Aug 21, 2011,
Quote by epiless
Anyone know shit about swapping out exhausts on a carb'd bike?

What do you mean by swapping out? taking it off or putting an aftermarket one on? If you take off the mufflers you dont have to do anything but if you put a new aftermarket one on you might have to rejet your carbs
Quote by nincompoop
Hey. It's nice to see there's something about motorcycles on here. I'm a little too obsessed, mainly with Harley-Davidsons, Triumphs and Goldwings etc. I'm hoping to get my first bike soon, got my heart set on a AJS 125 cruiser to start with x
Last edited by laura.poyser at Aug 26, 2011,

so much want in this sector
Quote by nincompoop

got a new headlight for my bike. hopefully getting new handlebars this weekend.
Quote by nincompoop
Quote by potcorn56

so much want in this sector

OH yes!!!!! Nice.

I had a Suzuki 125 to start off then someone pulled out on me and I came off (scared me to death) and now have some nice scars to show for it on my knees! Stick to cars these day but still love bikes tho!
Today in a roundabout I was almost rammed into by a lorry who figured he could cut in before me. A fucking lorry . Great acceleration, yo
Quote by goest
^Absolute. Uncompromising. 100% pure, fresh. Solid. Gold.

Quote by WCPhils
That might be my favorite shoop I have ever seen on here.

Quote by KnightBand
Yes! ****ing Yes! YOU LEGEND!!!
Quote by epiless
what is that like an 85ish cb450?

naw close though a 84' Honda Ascot VT500. i just replaced it with a 79 CB headlight. went on for a good but semi cold ride today where a dog chased after me and my buddy.
Quote by nincompoop
What's a good starter dual-purpose bike, preferably around 250cc and under $3-4k?
Quote by Boonnoo666
Another factor that has grown this myth is a bunch of opinionated guys who really don't know what they're talking about, which to be brutally honest is a bunch of you guys on here.
Quote by Strat007
What's a good starter dual-purpose bike, preferably around 250cc and under $3-4k?

Yamaha WR250, Honda XR250, XL250
Quote by nincompoop
My friend changed his VTR1000 now he has a CBR1000 and a fazer 1000

Don't let your boat be empty, don't be a sunken dream
Don't let the boat regret thee, for what you could have seen

Any advice on a first bike? I'm only 17, and I need something that will get somewhat good gas mileage and isn't something insane that I'm going to kill myself on. I'm planning on traveling with it starting next summer. Was considering a Kawasaki Ninja 250r.

Price is a factor, I'm getting a job soon to save up for it, so no set range but I want the best bang for my buck if you get me.
^ You can have my ninjette. I'm done with it. Been on it for three years in all weather and even all roads (gravel and dirt ones it had no business being on) and I'm ready for a change. It's been a champ though.

It's also a bit tatty (I may have crashed it on one of those aforementioned dirt roads. ) so I'll let it go cheap. I only bought it for $1500 anyway.

But even so it's bulletproof (knock on wood.) The only problem it's given me was when I rode it Boston and the battery contacts were so crusty I kept losing my connection to it and having to pull over to jiggle the wire until the connection came back... with no taillight... as Big rig trucks flew by me on the Massachusetts turnpike... at 11 at night.

So yeah. Those are good bikes. Check out the riders club.
Quote by sglover34479
Any advice on a first bike? I'm only 17, and I need something that will get somewhat good gas mileage and isn't something insane that I'm going to kill myself on. I'm planning on traveling with it starting next summer. Was considering a Kawasaki Ninja 250r.

Price is a factor, I'm getting a job soon to save up for it, so no set range but I want the best bang for my buck if you get me.

If you are looking for more of a street bike you can go with that. If you just want to ride look for early bikes like from 1975-1990's they are usually cheaper. Yamaha XS's, Honda CB's/nighthawk, VT500/Shadow, CX's, CM's, Suzuki GS 550 (great bike, look at the 1982 GS550M), GZ's, Kawasaki LTD's, KZ's. look at all of these bikes on craigslist they are pretty much the same but some might have different styles to them. before you buy look up the NADA value, if the seller wont take anything equal or lower than the NADA value i suggest you skip it. also if you dont know anything about motorcycles i suggest you take someone along that knows them, trust me, me and my friends learned the hard way.
Quote by nincompoop

Trying to get it registered, but I need DOT tires and a tail light [current one is only a brake light]
"Social correctness has traditionally had nothing whatever to do with reason, logic, or physics. In fact, in England it is generally considered socially incorrect to know stuff or think about things."
-Douglas Adams