Simple question....did jimi hendrix use his pinky in playing?

I dont like to, I keep it tucked behind the fret board instead of it moving back and forth i push it under the board so it sticks up on the back side and cant move anywhere helps me isolate only the muscles in the 3rd finger

EDIT: When i put my left hand (my fretting hand) on a flat table i can lift every finger up into the air individually into the air without any tension except the third finger.

When i put my hand flat on a table and try to lift the third finger into the air only, the pinky comes up along with it....
Last edited by harkkam at May 9, 2009,
Of course, every guitarist has used it ( at least the best ones) i think it is necessary for a better playing but if you feel confortable without pinky and you do it right its ok
Main Gear:
Schecter C-1 Classic
Line 6 Flextone III
Of course he did! Do you think he had bad technique?
Jesus wouldn't give you the sweat off of his balls if you were dying of thirst.
Quote by Code-E
God, you've gotta be UG's only moron!

Quote by magnum1117
that's right,you certainly are UG's only moron.

Quote by necrosis1193
Read the moron's posts, ironically enough he knows what he says.
you could hurt your hand doing that bro. be like Jimi. whip out your finger.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by p o e
Of course he did! Do you think he had bad technique?

He wraps his thumb over the top, I know he had some flaws in his technique.

Anyways, it's not like Jimi is famous for his technical proficiency.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
I didnt know i could hurt my finger doing that ...CRAP!

But when i have it in regular position it moves around too much and like takes away from the sensation in my third finger. Its like extra tension and movement that is wasted. I noticed alot of players move their pinky when they are not trying to. Isnt this wasted movement?
no. if you put your thumb in between your 2nd and 3rd fingers, you will get much more consistent balance fingerwise against those strings.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by harkkam
I didnt know i could hurt my finger doing that ...CRAP!

But when i have it in regular position it moves around too much and like takes away from the sensation in my third finger. Its like extra tension and movement that is wasted. I noticed alot of players move their pinky when they are not trying to. Isnt this wasted movement?

You won't hurt yourself. You will limit your playing. I've been playing for almost 11 years, it took me 10 years (and starting bass) to start using my pinky. All it's done is left my pinky still at newbie level.

If you're just starting, break the habit. But, it's not the end of the world...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Django_Reinhardt
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
are you talking about your left hand (from right handers point of view)? how the hell can you play with only 3 fingers? That would make you suck ****
Quote by STABxYOU
You won't hurt yourself. You will limit your playing. I've been playing for almost 11 years, it took me 10 years (and starting bass) to start using my pinky. All it's done is left my pinky still at newbie level.

with bass at least, I did that for an hour when i first got my bass, and my wimpy little pinky was in pure agony. I didn't even notice my sore forefingers because it hurt, so i youtubed jaco pastorius, saw him use his pinky, and changed tactics.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by samburl
are you talking about your left hand (from right handers point of view)? how the hell can you play with only 3 fingers? That would make you suck ****

Not really. If there's guys who can play with just two fingers, there's no reason 3 would make you automatically suck. It limits you, yes, it means your technique is lacking... it doesn't mean your end results are inherently less good.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
With three fingers and the pinky behind the board I got much better because I have trouble with my third finger.....

When i put my left hand (my fretting hand) on a flat table i can lift every finger up into the air individually into the air without any tension except the third finger.

When i put my hand flat on a table and try to lift the third finger into the air only, the pinky comes up along with it....

I havent been able to stop this....i know it reduces my finger independence...
Quote by STABxYOU
Not really. If there's guys who can play with just two fingers, there's no reason 3 would make you automatically suck. It limits you, yes, it means your technique is lacking... it doesn't mean your end results are inherently less good.

Yes, really. I can guarantee if you have 2 people of equal talent both playing for the same time but the only difference is one guy only uses 3 fingers, he is going to be quite noticeable worse.
Anyway iv never even heard of somebody finding it so hard to play with their pinky that they just didn't, whats so hard about it?
Quote by STABxYOU

Wow, I guess I'm lucky that I've always used it. I've even got pretty good vibrato with it.
Quote by samburl
Yes, really. I can guarantee if you have 2 people of equal talent both playing for the same time but the only difference is one guy only uses 3 fingers, he is going to be quite noticeable worse.
Anyway iv never even heard of somebody finding it so hard to play with their pinky that they just didn't, whats so hard about it?

Yes, of course the person who can play with 4 fingers will be more technically proficient. But, if 3 fingers is a better musician, they'll be able to compensate for not being as good of guitar player. Most non-guitar players will notice the skill as a musician before they notice the skill as a guitar player.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Could you guys help me fix this problem.....

When i put my left hand (my fretting hand) on a flat table i can lift every finger up into the air individually into the air without any tension except the third finger.

Thank you so much
but about the flat table thing, i suggest getting a hand/finger excersizer(spelling?)
i got a grip master, used it a couple times a day for a year or so and it REALLY helped.
I use my thumb over the board and use my thumb to fret the low e...so i practically have four fingers. Most chords dont need the pinky really... or so i think

I learnt the first 45 seconds to jimi hendrix's machine gun and never needed the pinky.

I have the hand exerciser thingy but hasnt been much help. I watched a vid saying if you can do that on the table then you have good independence....
Quote by theheirapparent
but about the flat table thing, i suggest getting a hand/finger excersizer(spelling?)
i got a grip master, used it a couple times a day for a year or so and it REALLY helped.

that's worse for your hand than the pinky crap, only time my doctor called me an idiot.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by theheirapparent
dude, how do you play chords?
i cant even fathom not using my pinky...

I can use my pinky for chords now. Just not for leads. Usually I play diads or power chords, it was never an issue.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Quote by harkkam
hmmm why is that bad for your hand?

tendon strain, bad muscle positioning, and you have to use it completely perfectly for it to not.
which only half of people figure out, because it feels the same.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by harkkam
so how do i strengthen my fingers?

Play moar guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Quote by STABxYOU
Play moar guitar.

this. if you twiddle them about and type one handed, it makes you so much more flexible. I ca literally span my keyboard from A to L one handed, it's easy.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

If you're gonna cheat, get a short scale guitar. ORM<333
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
I noticed jimi hendrix play red house in woodstock on youtube and the improvisation he doesnt even use the pinky once....lol
Quote by theheirapparent
dude, how do you play chords?
i cant even fathom not using my pinky...

Using the pinky lets your left hand relax even more as well

It always looks so uncomfortable seeing players cranking their ring fingers extra far to hit notes that would be easy for the pinky.
Quote by STABxYOU
He wraps his thumb over the top, I know he had some flaws in his technique.

Anyways, it's not like Jimi is famous for his technical proficiency.

Uh, dude, i've been advised by MANY experience, and awesome guitarists to always wrap my thumb up onto the fretboard when bending.
Jesus wouldn't give you the sweat off of his balls if you were dying of thirst.
Quote by Code-E
God, you've gotta be UG's only moron!

Quote by magnum1117
that's right,you certainly are UG's only moron.

Quote by necrosis1193
Read the moron's posts, ironically enough he knows what he says.
When soloing he didn't use his pinky quite as much. However those flutters he did during chords was because he used his thumb which freed up his pinky, so he used his pinky to do those little melodies while playing chords. But to answer your question, yes he did use his pinky, and you should too.
Feed your mind.
I'm not sure why you are taking Jimi's technique as a golden standard rather than looking at what is physically more useful and technically correct. It is illogical to not use a faculty that you are naturally presented with.
Typing in purple makes me look a bit like an elitist. I highly enjoy it.