Hey.
Well, I have a 15 watt Line 6 Spider III, which I actually like, most of the time, anyway.

Well, I have a chance to exchange my 7 month old Line 6 for a new 15 watt Peavey Vypyr for perhaps little or no overhead from my side ($20-30). Now my main complaint with the Line 6 is that it doesn't take pedals well. I have a Digitech RP250(which is superb, btw), and I wanted to know whether the Vypyr would take pedals better than the line 6, and if so, then how much better.

PS- I know the Vypyr's got built-in FX, but it doesn't come with a footswitch, but the amp's going to be for bedroom and band practice anyway, the FX don't need to be excellent, I just need to be able to get good tones(mostly hard rock and different kinds of metal, though I want a nice, crunchy Blues tone too) without the pedal whenever required, eg at practice when I don' want to bring my pedal along, when I just need a basic heavy overdriven tone for rhythm and a nice full lead tone with delay and reverb.

Thanks a lot!

And sorry for the wall of text
Ibanez Saber Series Owner!

Don't jump on the bandwagon, Line 6 Spider III's Aren't that bad!

B.U.C.K.E.T.H.E.A.D.

Quote by kirkwannabe

You, goonerbynature, win teh internetz.

Quote by b4t3man

Gold.

Quote by whitenihilist

pedals + modelling amp = WHY? - a wah is fair enough, but otherwise...

pedals + tube amp = yay. the way to go

save up unless you have the money already
Pedal GAS?
Empress Heavy
ISP Dec of some sort
Keeley Katana
TC Corona/Vortex/Dreamscape
I would swap the amps, but sell the RP-250 as it will be redundant with a Vypyr, more so than with the Spider. Use the money to buy the Peavey Sanpera footswitch,
Quote by greggybhoy
I would swap the amps, but sell the RP-250 as it will be redundant with a Vypyr, more so than with the Spider. Use the money to buy the Peavey Sanpera footswitch,

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the 30 watt and above models the only ones that have a footswitch jack?

Also, I'm rather reluctant about selling my pedal, I've been able to get awesome tones out of it, and also the effects on the amplifier won't be nearly as good.

No, I don't have the money(yet ), but for the record, how well do multi-effects pedals go with tube amplifiers?

B.U.C.K.E.T.H.E.A.D.

Quote by kirkwannabe

Quote by b4t3man

Gold.

Quote by whitenihilist

You could save up for the 30 watt model. My 30w amp is loud enough for band practice without pushing the amp too hard and quiet enough for practising at home. Tube amps are great, but if you are playing with high gain, they are far too loud for bedroom practice.
Gear:
Ibanez RG4EX1
Laney VC50
Roland Cube 30X
Boss MD-2

Ibanez GSR200

Official Newbie Of The 'Australia FTW!' Club PM Alter-Bridge Or The_Random_Hero To Join. Australians only.
the vypyr 15 does NOT accept the foot switch........ and it does sound pretty @#$% good for 15 watt / $99(new) the clean and dirty models are very distinctive, if you want to use a pedal in front of a modeled clean so you can switch with your foot for distortion it should sound great too.

good luck
Midskier = Midwest American Skier Boats
Barefooter = Waterskier WITHOUT Skis
www.footngear.com
Quote by goonerbynature
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the 30 watt and above models the only ones that have a footswitch jack?

Also, I'm rather reluctant about selling my pedal, I've been able to get awesome tones out of it, and also the effects on the amplifier won't be nearly as good.

No, I don't have the money(yet ), but for the record, how well do multi-effects pedals go with tube amplifiers?

multi-effects arent that bad, but since youve already got the rp, half the reason for getting the multi is gone. when using a multi, the thing youll use most would be the eq/od/ds. so id say get individual effects pedals as you nee them... but first get a better amp, then worry about effects - ive already made the mistake of getting effects first. the vypyr from the spider is really just an upgrade from a beginners practice amp to another beginners practice amp. youre much better off saving up
Pedal GAS?
Empress Heavy
ISP Dec of some sort
Keeley Katana
Quote by grobbo91
You could save up for the 30 watt model. My 30w amp is loud enough for band practice without pushing the amp too hard and quiet enough for practising at home. Tube amps are great, but if you are playing with high gain, they are far too loud for bedroom practice.

that depends on the wattage
Pedal GAS?
Empress Heavy
ISP Dec of some sort
Keeley Katana
keep on saving till you can afford a decent non modeling amp, the spider should do until then
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by Darkflame
wow
15 watts is enough for a band practice?
man, my 120 watt ss amp has to be pushed to 8 for me to hear it

15 watts is enough in a closed room, and it's kept further away from the drummer anyway, so that there's a balance across the room.

Also there are 2 guitars.

AND there's the pedal, which does amplify the sound.

So yeah, it's enough

Yes I agree about the tube amp, but I won't enough money for a while, believe me if I had enough for a tube, I wouldn't be asking about a 15 watt solid state.

I'm just asking you guys how well it'll take multi-effects pedals, and how good it will sound without the pedal, I'm not asking you to explain how much tube amps own solid states. If you do not have any such helpful information, then no need to post at all.

B.U.C.K.E.T.H.E.A.D.

Quote by kirkwannabe

Quote by b4t3man

Gold.

Quote by whitenihilist

It won't take multi-effects pedals any better than your spider. It's redundant to use multi-effects with an amp that already has built-in amp modelling and effects. That being said, the vypyr WILL sound SIGNIFICANTLY better than your spider. It's probably worth doing that swap if you can so you have good tones now until you eventually buy a tube amp.
Ibanez S320 with Dimarzio Fred + Seymour Duncan 59-> Weeping Demon Wah -> Ibanez TS-7 -> Homemade iBoost x3 -> Keeley DS-1 -> Visual Sound H2O -> MXR Ten Band -> Traynor YCV20