Page 4 of 64
I ordered a HT-5 combo yesterday during GC's 15% sale, $360 after tax, pretty excited for it.

Maybe we should list setting on this thread since the ISF control is unique.

If someone can recommend settings for these songs I'd appreciate it: Electric Funeral, Symphony of Destruction, Master of Puppets. I just started playing 2 weeks ago, so these are what I'm working on, and since I'm a newb I am stilling having trouble with settings.
Well, the way the isf works is that if you're looking for a more modern sound, you go to the left and if you want a more brittish sound, go to the right. I think i have the directions right for that.
John Frusciante
Slash
Jeff Beck
Matt Bellamy
Jack White

HT-5 Owners Thread

Owner of an 1/4 watt custom combo.

Quote by Garou1911
^This man speaks the language of win.

Donate to my cause
I <3 the ISF knob. It's like having two amps in one - but not in that Line 6 sorta way.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
Quote by ch0
I <3 the ISF knob. It's like having two amps in one - but not in that Line 6 sorta way.

So true
John Frusciante
Slash
Jeff Beck
Matt Bellamy
Jack White

HT-5 Owners Thread

Quote by Garou1911

Donate to my cause
I want one of these pretty badly. Maybe when I get a good job Ill sell the Blackheart and pick one of these up.

The main flaw on the blackheart is no gain control. I mean, I have pedals, but natural gain cant be beat.
Epiphone Les Paul (Modded with 2 passive pickups and an EMG81)
Yamaha RG guitar w/ Floyd Rose
Rogue Acoustic

BlackHeart BH5 Tube Amp

Danelectro Metal. Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech CF-7, Crybaby Wah, Danelectro EQ.
Getting mine in the next few weeks

I've been offered a trade with the store, my ESP LTD F400-FM for a HT5-S (the mini-stack). Any thoughts? The amp is £399, roughly what the guitar is worth I guess?

Also, if anyone wants to try out ALL of the Blackstar amps they're going to be at the London International Music Show in June. Can't wait to see that stand!
Played one today through a matamp 2x12 loaded with a greenback and v30, gotta say total awesomesauce.
Quote by manikmunky
Getting mine in the next few weeks

I've been offered a trade with the store, my ESP LTD F400-FM for a HT5-S (the mini-stack). Any thoughts? The amp is £399, roughly what the guitar is worth I guess?

Also, if anyone wants to try out ALL of the Blackstar amps they're going to be at the London International Music Show in June. Can't wait to see that stand!

dude you going?
and you can get more for your F400

SRSLY
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
Quote by Carrot
dude you going?
and you can get more for your F400

SRSLY

Yeah, going on the Friday

I'll look into the price on the F400, I got a pretty decent deal on it (used), they're £600 new on ebay, £700 from GAK... Might list it in the trade forum at some point
Quote by manikmunky
Yeah, going on the Friday

I'll look into the price on the F400, I got a pretty decent deal on it (used), they're £600 new on ebay, £700 from GAK... Might list it in the trade forum at some point

id love to go
but its just getting there
the train would be hell

and just advertise the guitar everywhere you want,
and if i were you get the head and a nice 2x12"
the cabs with the stack arnt that amazing

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h

Pedals
Quote by Carrot
id love to go
but its just getting there
the train would be hell

and just advertise the guitar everywhere you want,
and if i were you get the head and a nice 2x12"
the cabs with the stack arnt that amazing

Well, the mini-stack is a space saving exercise among other things... I guess a vertical 2x12 of some kind would serve just as well. I'll look into it

edit: and who cares how you get there, just get there!
Last edited by manikmunky at May 25, 2009,
Quote by manikmunky
Well, the mini-stack is a space saving exercise among other things... I guess a vertical 2x12 of some kind would serve just as well. I'll look into it

edit: and who cares how you get there, just get there!

haha yeah thats why reason i got it
but i might try the vertical stack think soon

haha i might go
depends

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h

Pedals
2x12 turned on it's side = vertical stack that doesn't sound like poo.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
Quote by ch0

wait it would sound like poo or it wouldnt?

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h

Pedals
Quote by ch0

Yeah was considering that actually. Are the Blackstar speakers that come with the stack that bad? Any suggestions on the 212 cab that'll go well with the amp?
Quote by manikmunky
Yeah was considering that actually. Are the Blackstar speakers that come with the stack that bad? Any suggestions on the 212 cab that'll go well with the amp?

they are ok for somethin to play through
but you can get better
like everythin really

and cab wise we going USA or UK?

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h

Pedals
Quote by Carrot
they are ok for somethin to play through
but you can get better
like everythin really

and cab wise we going USA or UK?

UK, but tbh it's a stay at home amp for practice, so for the money I might stick with the blackstars, we'll see I guess.
Quote by manikmunky
UK, but tbh it's a stay at home amp for practice, so for the money I might stick with the blackstars, we'll see I guess.

yeah stick with the blackstar for a bit if you want
tis what im doing

but i was thinkin an orange 2x12
http://www.thomann.de/gb/orange_ppc212cob.htm?sid=d1731fc11c9cfd7af54b8c2b9b0d97e9
like that

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h

Pedals
Quote by Carrot
yeah stick with the blackstar for a bit if you want
tis what im doing

but i was thinkin an orange 2x12
http://www.thomann.de/gb/orange_ppc212cob.htm?sid=d1731fc11c9cfd7af54b8c2b9b0d97e9
like that
That's kinda spendy when you could just buy this and come out with nearly the same sound.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Quote by ch0
That's kinda spendy when you could just buy this and come out with nearly the same sound.

yeah but its the quality from orange which i just love

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h

Pedals
So what you're saying is you'd spend an extra 250EUR for some orange tolex and a badge?

Further, a 430EUR cab for a 280EUR head?

Edit: And yes, I know, it's birch plywood in the Orange and who-knows-what in the other one - but still. There's no way the difference in "quality" is quantified in the prices.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Last edited by ch0 at May 25, 2009,
Quote by ch0
So what you're saying is you'd spend an extra 250EUR for some orange tolex and a badge?

Further, a 430EUR cab for a 280EUR head?

Edit: And yes, I know, it's birch plywood in the Orange and who-knows-what in the other one - but still. There's no way the difference in "quality" is quantified in the prices.

the orange is a 120 watt max where as the other one is 60 watt
and harley benton quality is poo tbh

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h

Pedals
They both use the same speakers... I'm confused as to how you're getting that one can handle more power than the other. The HB does 120W at 16ohms too, you know.

As far as the quality being poo, it's plywood is 2mm thinner than on the Orange - there's no way that price difference is justified.

Please don't come back at me saying the Orange uses dove-tail joints and crazy exotic screws - while that will effect the durability of the cab it won't do jack for tone. Not like you should be banging around a 2x12 anyway. If you have trouble moving it you need to hit the gym.
Quote by Marty Friedman
I just got the ht-5 over the weekend and I am really happy with it. Now I just gotta get a tubesreamer or od pedal and I'll be set for the modern metal side of things. I'm hoping it'll work out.
Quote by ch0
They both use the same speakers... I'm confused as to how you're getting that one can handle more power than the other. The HB does 120W at 16ohms too, you know.

As far as the quality being poo, it's plywood is 2mm thinner than on the Orange - there's no way that price difference is justified.

Please don't come back at me saying the Orange uses dove-tail joints and crazy exotic screws - while that will effect the durability of the cab it won't do jack for tone. Not like you should be banging around a 2x12 anyway. If you have trouble moving it you need to hit the gym.

LOL no I won't day anythin bout going to the gym.
I guess I've always wanted an orange cab or amp so it's just one of those things you do. Kind of like getting the guitar or car you have been wanting. The price difference doesn't really bother me that much anyway tbh.

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h

Pedals
Quote by Carrot
LOL no I won't day anythin bout going to the gym.
I guess I've always wanted an orange cab or amp so it's just one of those things you do. Kind of like getting the guitar or car you have been wanting. The price difference doesn't really bother me that much anyway tbh.
I'm just arguing for discussion's sake.

Who would I be to talk about value for money or the sensibilities of putting a cheap head on an expensive cab? I've got an HT-5 sitting on top of an old JCM800 cab - and you know why I did it? I did it because I dig (old) Marshall ****. It just seems to ooze that rock vibe.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Quote by ch0
I'm just arguing for discussion's sake.

Who would I be to talk about value for money or the sensibilities of putting a cheap head on an expensive cab? I've got an HT-5 sitting on top of an old JCM800 cab - and you know why I did it? I did it because I dig (old) Marshall ****. It just seems to ooze that rock vibe.

i would have a better head but its just i cant have one cuz of the volume, 5 watt tube head is enough. id love to have a bigger head and cab but i cant, i love my HT-5 tho

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h

Pedals
I'm still surprised at just how loud 5-watts can get.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Quote by ch0
I'm still surprised at just how loud 5-watts can get.

It says on the website that it uses a unique push pull design for the power amp, so that is probably the reason it's so much louder than any other 5 watter.
John Frusciante
Slash
Jeff Beck
Matt Bellamy
Jack White

HT-5 Owners Thread

Quote by Garou1911

Donate to my cause
Quote by k7apex
It says on the website that it uses a unique push pull design for the power amp, so that is probably the reason it's so much louder than any other 5 watter.
Whatever it is, it gets my ears ringing
Quote by Marty Friedman
Does anyone else here play though the stock 1x10 cabinets? How do you like your sound?

I'm enjoying mine alot right now, but i'm always wondering what hidden tone is there that i'm missing out on. I'm hoping to get a job when i get back from summer to get a nice new cab.
John Frusciante
Slash
Jeff Beck
Matt Bellamy
Jack White

HT-5 Owners Thread

Quote by Garou1911

Donate to my cause
Has anyone tries another pre-amp valve yet?

I've still got the stock EHX tube in, but was wondering if any different ones have been tried yet???
Quote by fergus74
Has anyone tries another pre-amp valve yet?

I've still got the stock EHX tube in, but was wondering if any different ones have been tried yet???

Not yet, i'm going to wait until i'm done upgrading my rig, then i'll start playing around with some valves. If you find anything good though, let me know and i'll try the swap.
John Frusciante
Slash
Jeff Beck
Matt Bellamy
Jack White

HT-5 Owners Thread

Quote by Garou1911

Donate to my cause
Quote by k7apex
Does anyone else here play though the stock 1x10 cabinets? How do you like your sound?

I'm enjoying mine alot right now, but i'm always wondering what hidden tone is there that i'm missing out on. I'm hoping to get a job when i get back from summer to get a nice new cab.

Yeah i use one of the stock 1x10 cabs. Its definately thinner than a 1x12, but it's fine for what I'm doing. I would like to get a nice 2x12 somewhere in the future, but I'll probably just stay with the stock cab and save up for something else. Doesn't really matter for just bedroom practice anyway.
Heh, so I rearranged my room a bit. I can now stand about 6 feet away from the amp while playing which is really nice considering before I was stuck within a couple of feet. The only issue is I'm really feeling the pathetic cord on the footswitch - it's way too short.

So, who here thinks I should cannibalize an old patch cord to extend the footswitch?
Quote by Marty Friedman
Last edited by ch0 at May 28, 2009,
Quote by ch0
Heh, so I rearranged my room a bit. I can now stand about 6 feet away from the amp while playing which is really nice considering before I was stuck within a couple of feet. The only issue is I'm really feeling hating the pathetic cord on the footswitch - it's way too short.

So, who here thinks I should cannibalize an old patch cord to extend the footswitch?

DO IT! It's just a normal instrument cable, right? If it is then it shouldn't be too hard and that is going to be really nice to do. I've been thinking about doing the same thing, except i'm just going to get a dual female jack and use an old 10ft. cable.
John Frusciante
Slash
Jeff Beck
Matt Bellamy
Jack White

HT-5 Owners Thread

Quote by Garou1911

Donate to my cause
Quote by k7apex
DO IT! It's just a normal instrument cable, right? If it is then it shouldn't be too hard and that is going to be really nice to do. I've been thinking about doing the same thing, except i'm just going to get a dual female jack and use an old 10ft. cable.
I have no idea why I didn't think of that... I was even in a Long & Mcquade today (big music store chain for those not in Canada) staring at a wall of random cords and connectors. I managed to get a cable to run the emulated speaker out into my computer though - it's nice to be able to do some limited recording finally.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Does anyone here ave the Combo? What do you think of it 'cos I love it!
Quote by ch0
I once trapped my left testicle in a vice. I have no left testicle.
Wanted to buy one today, all sold out and two weeks till anywhere gets any
Quote by JaGi
Wanted to buy one today, all sold out and two weeks till anywhere gets any

Tough luck dude, they're going out really fast. Why don't you just order it off the internet though?

Quote by ch0
I have no idea why I didn't think of that... I was even in a Long & Mcquade today (big music store chain for those not in Canada) staring at a wall of random cords and connectors. I managed to get a cable to run the emulated speaker out into my computer though - it's nice to be able to do some limited recording finally.

How do you do your recording? I'm looking to start, but i don't know what to start with equpment wise. I may have a computer to use, but i'll perferable not use it, and also do you use the emmulated speakers on the head or mic it up?
John Frusciante
Slash
Jeff Beck
Matt Bellamy
Jack White

HT-5 Owners Thread

Quote by Garou1911

Donate to my cause