I've been looking into getting a strat for cleans as the only guitars I have have EMG's in them. I was set on getting an MIA fender strat but then I saw these charvel's and well I kinda just fell in love with the look of them. I'm going to try and get to a shop I know stocks them in the next few weeks if I can find the time (it's a bit of a trip there) but for now I would like to know if anyone has had any experience with either of them and could tell me how they found them. also I would like to know how they handle cleans as this was the main reason behind getting a new guitar. I was going for a strat because I wanted to get some versatility and get some nice tones for funk, blues, jazz and so on kinda stuff

the So cal

and the San Dimas
Member of the Jackson RR24 Owners club!

Esp Eclipse II Snow white
Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez RGA-8
Jackson RR24 Black w/yellow bevels, Limited 1/75
Yamaha FG-400A
Last edited by sepultura alma at May 14, 2009,
Depends on the sound you're going for. The So-Cal will give you more a a steve vai sound and can eve ndo some pretty good Van Halen brown sound. The San Dimas will give more a standard hard rock and classic metal (a la Randy Rhoads) sound. They should play the same so it depends on what your ears like.

*edit*

These guitars will not give a standard strat sound as you're looking for. They are not single coil guitars.
Fender 5 String Jazz Bass
Fender Precision Bass
Peavey TNT 115
EHX Bass Big Muff Pi
Daneletro Cool Cat OD V2 (excellent pedal)
Paul Reed Smith SE Custom Semi-Hollow
Peavey Classic 30
Vox V845 Classic Wah Pedal
Last edited by Fuzzle at May 14, 2009,
I know nothing of Charvels or their sounds, but lookswise, I like the white San Dimas and the black So Cal.
Yeah I know there not going to sound like a standard strat but wondered if they would perhaps get close to it and just how versatile they would be?

Ibanez RGA-8
Yamaha FG-400A
Quote by foob85
I know nothing of Charvels or their sounds, but lookswise, I like the white San Dimas and the black So Cal.

Asthetically yeah those are the sexiest looking
Fender 72 Tele Thinline (my baby)
Gibson SG Special Faded
ESP LTD M-1000
Peavy Vk 112
Boss GT-10
not going to get very close, the pickups are too different. you'd have to put in coil taps and if you're going to spend this much money, the guitar should sound exactly as you want it as is. and these are basically shred machines, not the most versatile kind of guitars...
Fender 5 String Jazz Bass
Fender Precision Bass
Peavey TNT 115
EHX Bass Big Muff Pi
Daneletro Cool Cat OD V2 (excellent pedal)
Paul Reed Smith SE Custom Semi-Hollow
Peavey Classic 30
Vox V845 Classic Wah Pedal
I have the white San Dimas. It's what you want; the pickups are more versatile.

And "Fuzzle," the San Dimas is better for Brown Sound, although neither guitar is ideal without a pickup swap.

It's an incredible guitar, and while it's not quite a vintage Strat tone, you'll get the point when you get a hand around the neck; it's INCREDIBLE.

Edit: Everybody, it's going to sound more like a Strat than you're implying because of the tone woods and, more importantly, scale length. It's not a bad choice at all.

Double Edit: Well, it's designed as an out-and-out rock guitar (which it does incredibly), but the clean sounds are very good. Not so the SoCal because of its ceramic DiMarzio pickups, but the San Dimas does the job.

I have nothing but praise for the guitar. Buy it.

Triple Edit: I see you're in the UK.

There are only 10 UK dealers for Charvel. Each dealer only gets one of the custom colour models each. There are only 10 of each custom colour guitar in the UK. The black ones, however, are in full production and always available.

Check out the Charvel website to find your closest dealer.

Btw if that dealer happens to be MorMusic in York you'd better not be after the white San Dimas Style 1
Last edited by Rock Pig at May 14, 2009,
haha yes I am in fact leaning more towards the white San Dimas as the pick ups will serve me better for the purposes I need it for and of course it looks sexy as ****. As for dealers I was planning on going to GuitarGuitar in Newcastle but York's Mormusic stock them you say, hmmm... lol

Ibanez RGA-8
Yamaha FG-400A
Quote by sepultura alma
York's Mormusic stock them you say, hmmm... lol

Not any more they don't
Yeah I just had a look at the stock on there website they don't have the white any more I take it you brought it?

Ibanez RGA-8
Yamaha FG-400A
Quote by sepultura alma
Yeah I just had a look at the stock on there website they don't have the white any more I take it you brought it?

Yepp. And a good deal it was too
GuitarGuitar should do you well. Just check the stock of anywhere that's remotely nearby; don't rule out travelling long distances by train, either! People seem to have forgotten that the train exists in the modern world!
So Cal is the better of the two, by far. My friend has one.
BACK LIKE A HEART ATTACK
Quote by Fuzzle
Depends on the sound you're going for. The So-Cal will give you more a a steve vai sound and can eve ndo some pretty good Van Halen brown sound. The San Dimas will give more a standard hard rock and classic metal (a la Randy Rhoads) sound. They should play the same so it depends on what your ears like.

*edit*

These guitars will not give a standard strat sound as you're looking for. They are not single coil guitars.

+1. I imagine the one with the Duncans will do cleans slightly better, as the '59 has quite decent cleans. But as Fuzzle says, neither will do single coil tones. The one with Dimarzios is routed HSH under the scratchplate, so that'd give you more options if you ever wanted to change the pickups, if you could find a correctly-sized scratchplate (or even just get one custom made), you'd have the option of HSS, HSH, HH, HS, SSS etc. pickup layouts...

However, try as many as you can, as I tried a bunch, and they all felt slightly different. There were certainly a couple which felt, and sounded, better than the others. I didn't really like them all that much, to be honest, lots of other people seem to like them, though, so I don't know what's going on there. The necks felt pretty similar to the necks on USA standard strats. EDIT: there was nothing wrong with them, as such, just nothing that screamed, "Buy me now!".

They have those new Asian-made Floyd Roses too, not the Schaller German-made ones. No idea if they're as good as the Schaller ones, but personally, I'm wary of them.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at May 14, 2009,
^
The neck to me was the defining factor, and I have tried a USA Strat; frankly it felt nothing alike. The finish is more functional and less sticky and there's a compund radius on the thing that makes bending up high a breeze without compromising comfort at lower fret positions.
Quote by Kai07
So Cal is the better of the two, by far. My friend has one.

No justification.
Implication of bias.
Statement of opinion as fact.

Please post again with justification and explanation of how you came to this justification; they're the same guitar with slight differences in spec, namely neck pitch, pickups and the presence of a scratchplate. Neither one is "better," just different and better suited to certain purposes. For the OP's purposes the San Dimas is vastly superior.

If you argue back at this, please do it with reasonable justification of well-thought out opinion and try to emphathise with the opposite argument.
I agree, he didn't justify it.

if (big if) he's willing to swap pickups, the one with the dimarzios is arguably better as that'd allow for HSS (which means good dirt coupled with good cleans), but if not, i'd agree the duncan one is better for what he's after.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
if (big if) he's willing to swap pickups, the one with the dimarzios is arguably better as that'd allow for HSS (which means good dirt coupled with good cleans), but if not, i'd agree the duncan one is better for what he's after.

Agreed.

Then again, that's a very attractive Polar White finish
Quote by Dave_Mc

that is a good point, I may be willing too as that would be awesome but I'm going to have to have a big think about it and of course all will become much clearer when I've had a go on them

Ibanez RGA-8
Yamaha FG-400A
Sorry for not justifying why I like the SoCal better.

^^;;

but to me, the neck, the tone and the layout is just overall better to me.

I don't like Strat Shapes an extreme amount, but I personally like the SoCal better than the San Dimas. Also, the Colors it comes in are not to bad.

the tone was eally good, ( My friend swapped the pups for an Air Norton in the neck)

the San Dimas....it isn't my visual style, and it isn't my kind of guitar. I really like the tone of it, but to me, the SoCal is just an overall better guitar.

the neck feels amazing as well, super fast and completely smooth. amazing.

like I said, I like both, but the coCal is better to me than the San Dimas better.

I'd add more, but I have to leave for home.

sorry!
BACK LIKE A HEART ATTACK
Edit: ^Fair enough then. I would assume though that the differences in feel you experienced were specific to that very guitar as opposed to each model; a good bit of the guitar is actually hand-made! As for sounds though, I'd call that preference. That said, the JB is definitely thinner than the Tone Zone.

OP: You should also consider the neck pitch; I think it's the SoCal which has a smaller neck pocket angle and consequently a fairly different feel and Floyd setup; it's something you'll have to make a judgement on based on the opinions you come away with having tried both.
^^ no worries, kai, if you like it better, that's fair enough. Just saying you liked it better doesn't give any more info, if you can justify it, that's fine.

Quote by Rock Pig
^
The neck to me was the defining factor, and I have tried a USA Strat; frankly it felt nothing alike. The finish is more functional and less sticky and there's a compund radius on the thing that makes bending up high a breeze without compromising comfort at lower fret positions.

to be fair, my assessment that it felt like a fender USA standard strat wasn't based on trying the two head to head- more the vibe it gave off. it reminded me of a fender USA standard neck. I could be way off. I rarely notice much difference with compound radius necks either.

Quote by Rock Pig
Agreed.

Then again, that's a very attractive Polar White finish

yeah, the white's the coolest finish by a country mile. the chrome hardware helps too. all the other colours are kind of a strange shade- you think a red superstrat would be awesome, for example, but then see the shade of red they picked, and it's like " "

Quote by sepultura alma
that is a good point, I may be willing too as that would be awesome but I'm going to have to have a big think about it and of course all will become much clearer when I've had a go on them

yeah, trying them is the best idea. As I said, don't be afraid of trying more than one of the same model, if the shop has several of them- you may like one more than the others, even if it's the same model.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at May 14, 2009,