xLTGx
124 IQ
ok so im using a schecter revenger fr through a ashton 10W amp (im getting a new one in the next month or so) and i am using the Boss ML-2 Metalcore pedal. I'm trying to get a good PWD tone for the songs 'Carrion', 'Smoke 'em if ya got 'em, and 'Its hard to speak without a tongue'. I've looked at the amp settings thread so ive got my amp set to that but i was wondering if anyone knows how to better the tone with the ML-2 settings? The settings on the pedal are 'Level' 'Low' 'High' and 'Distortion'. If anyone can help will be greatly appreciated thanks
nightraven
?
653 IQ
you can't get any tone that was done in the studio with a really bad practice amp and the worst distortion pedal ever made. sorry

wait till you've got a new amp.
xLTGx
124 IQ
yeah the amp really sucks but i think the pedals great, i mean sure its hardly versitile its only really for one or two different sounds but it does what its made for well. what pedal and amp would you recommend? my price range for the amp is 1500$ (NZ)
halvies
Bonjourno
1,377 IQ
I would suggest a Peavey 6505+ or 5150(since those are the amps they use), but its $3000 in NZ. So otherwise, i think a tube amp with decent tube OD and and actual OD pedal infront of it, will probably push it into PWD territory. Im thinking maybe a Tiny Terror, Classic 30, Blackheart Little Giant, and others. Just go to your guitar story over there and try everything out.
[[BurnTheDusk]]
Call me Ryan.
2,708 IQ
Quote by xLTGx
yeah the amp really sucks but i think the pedals great, i mean sure its hardly versitile its only really for one or two different sounds but it does what its made for well. what pedal and amp would you recommend? my price range for the amp is 1500$ (NZ)

Only good for 2 sounds.

Off.
And
Broken.

EDIT: Can someone translate $1500 NZD into USD ?
DaddyBarbs
UG Freak
790 IQ
^even if you figure out how much $1500 is worth, amps still cost much more in NZ
My gear:
PRS SE custom
~!~--Peavey XXX super 40 EFX --~!~
Peavey VK 112

===WGS Vet30
===JJ power tubes

---Pedals:
-ISP Decimator
-Digitech Bad Monkey
-Crybaby wah
-Korg Pitchblack
-Danelectro FnC EQ
DaddyBarbs
UG Freak
790 IQ
Quote by halvies
I would suggest a Peavey 6505+ or 5150(since those are the amps they use), but its $3000 in NZ. So otherwise, i think a tube amp with decent tube OD and and actual OD pedal infront of it, will probably push it into PWD territory. Im thinking maybe a Tiny Terror, Classic 30, Blackheart Little Giant, and others. Just go to your guitar story over there and try everything out.

tbh i would go with a bugera 6260 if they have them there
My gear:
PRS SE custom
~!~--Peavey XXX super 40 EFX --~!~
Peavey VK 112

===WGS Vet30
===JJ power tubes

---Pedals:
-ISP Decimator
-Digitech Bad Monkey
-Crybaby wah
-Korg Pitchblack
-Danelectro FnC EQ
xLTGx
124 IQ
thanks for the replies. i was thinking of getting a peavy but we have one at the school music room and annoys the hell out of me lol. do you guys know anything about the Line Six III 120W? and yeah i definately need to try before i buy. and also whats so bad about the ML-2?? its far better than the MT-2 imo..
espguitar//
UG No.1 SilentHill fan
91 IQ
bugera amp heads retail for about $1500 in nz.
but u may have to wait a bit longer so u can get a cab too.

If ur lucky u might find a used 5150 for about $1200. but i doubt it.
Woot! New Zealand...
GibsonTheGuitar
BLOOD OCEAN
285 IQ
Dude, get a Bugera. 5150s are the way you want to go, but they are way too expensive in Australia and New Zealand. The best tone you'll get for an affordable price will be a Bugera 6260 or maybe a 333.
xLTGx
124 IQ
thanks, but i have heard things bout Bugera's being unreliable??? and if i want the right amp i guess im prepared to pay the extra price it will just take longer to get is all. and if i did get a 5150 do you think i would need a Distortion pedal still or will the amp have enough grunt? (im a noob when it comes to amps etc. lol)
espguitar//
UG No.1 SilentHill fan
91 IQ
Quote by xLTGx
thanks, but i have heard things bout Bugera's being unreliable??? and if i want the right amp i guess im prepared to pay the extra price it will just take longer to get is all. and if i did get a 5150 do you think i would need a Distortion pedal still or will the amp have enough grunt? (im a noob when it comes to amps etc. lol)

Correct me if im wrong but doesnt one guy from PWD use a 5150 head, maxon OD, ISP decimator and a BBE sonic stomp.

Anyway.
5150 is grunty enough but with an OD is really tightens it up.

Not sure if your familiar with antagonist AD (there tone is similar to PWD) but kris used that exact set up above (with a tuner) with an Bogner Uberscall cab on there latest record. Sounds mean to me
Woot! New Zealand...
espguitar//
UG No.1 SilentHill fan
91 IQ
oh and if price isnt an issue you can get a 6505+ amp head new in nz for about $2990
but if your really wanting to splash out check out splawn amps
Woot! New Zealand...
GibsonTheGuitar
BLOOD OCEAN
285 IQ
If you can save, get a 5150.

Or alternatively just message Parkway on myspace and ask what gear they are using. They are pretty nice guys.
xLTGx
124 IQ
thanks and yeah antagonist are a kiwi band im seeing them on the 29th of this month i think i will get a 5150 but im new to amps so how much would the head cost and what about the cab???
espguitar//
UG No.1 SilentHill fan
91 IQ
BUMP..
back to what i was saying... finding a used 5150 in NZ may be difficult.. but if ur lucky enough they got for about $1200-1600 and finding a cab with some nice v30's will probley set u back about $800-1000
Woot! New Zealand...
xLTGx
124 IQ
okay thanks. ive got a 12 month interest free voucher at the music shop so im gonne use that and get the 5150 head .
signedinbloodnz
416 IQ
they don't sell 5150 anymore.
and rockshop is the only one that stocks 5153, but we don't have any of them in the country atm so rockshop can't get them in.

go for a decent combo, you don't have a cab to play a head through
Can we erase the past?
To allow our dreams to forever last?

Gear:

Mesa Boogie Mini Rec 25
Mesa Boogie Rectifier 2x12 cab

Jackson DK2, DK2M, DKMGT, SLAT3-7, DK1
halvies
Bonjourno
1,377 IQ
I think the 5150's are now 3120's. But they dont come cheap, especially in our part of the world. You could prob get a used head in your price range but you might need to save a bit more for a cab. Or you could look into the 6505 combo that is coming out. Though im not sure when that will hit stores in NZ
xLTGx
124 IQ
yeah the 6505 took the 5150's place im looking into getting a 6505 if i can find one otherwise i might have to go with the 6505 combo. which will probly be a better idea as i have been playing only a year and have a crappy ashton lol.
HouseBoy83
UG Punk
21 IQ
the 5150 and 5150 IIs were discontinued in the late 90s after eddie van halen stoped doing business with Peavey. eddie owned the name "5150" and took it with him. pavey owned the rights to amp design thus re-nameing the amp series the 6505/6505+. eddie now uses his own amp line 5150 III under fender.

the 3120 is just a slight reamake of the XXX and there kinda version of the 5150 III with El34 tubes
Gear:
Mesa MK IV head
Mesa 4x12 cab(3)
Marshall JCM900 2100 SL-X
BBE 482i
ESP eclispe II
B52 At-100 head
MXR and Boss pedals
Sparow guitars
Peavey 5150 II modded
JJ electronic tubes

BUGERA USERS MILITIA
CleanCanvas
67 IQ
omg anyone who ever buys ml-2 i feel for u
i got it
its ****

but yeh parkway uses 6505+ with mesa recto cabs
TOMMYB22
UG Newbie
562 IQ
gain at max with low and high boosted to about 2:30-3:00.

I know that he has **** gear but he just wants something similar to their tone for the time being. Avoiding his question and trashing him isn't helping anyone.
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
the boogieman
525 IQ
you've brought yourself quite the challenge. the ml2 is quite thin and empty sounding

hard to say though seeing as how i havent played an ashton 10 watt ss, but heres my best shot

back off the highs, and boost the mids on your amp. back off the gain on the ml2(to maybe 8 o'clock or lower) and try using it to tighten up the gain channel on your amp. that should thicken up your tone and make it heavy enough. keep the bass and treble knobs on the ml2 at 12 o'clock until the end, and use it only to lightly tweak what the amp eq will not get.

whatever you do, dont scoop your mids. like previously stated by others, parkway uses 5150/6505's

and if you can get yourself tuned to drop c or another low tuning, thatd aid the process
if you love bbe products join the "i heart bbe" group. kthnx (click link below)
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/ilovebbe/

Quote by Dempsey68
get a cheap marshall... my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps.
Last edited by the boogieman at Jun 7, 2009,
|Matt|
437 IQ
Oh god guys, there is so much fail in this thread.

I will clear this up for you.

Parkway Drive uses Dual Rectifiers, as well as a Maxon 808 OD pedal and a BBE Sonic Maximizer. But yeah, their tone is insane on record, to get a tone like that they would have had to REALLY crank their amps in the studio, you can really hear the tubes driving in the big chords (listen for the really BERRRRR sort of sound).
WTF!!is a TAB
♥SkullGirls♥
2,297 IQ
Quote by |Matt|

Parkway Drive uses Dual Rectifiers, as well as a Maxon 808 OD pedal and a BBE Sonic Maximizer. But yeah, their tone is insane on record, to get a tone like that they would have had to REALLY crank their amps in the studio, you can really hear the tubes driving in the big chords (listen for the really BERRRRR sort of sound).

wai bump this???
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
JaGi
t3h br00t41z
155 IQ
Quote by |Matt|

Haha berrrrr

They use one mesa up there and 2 6505+ into mesa cabs.
|Matt|
437 IQ
Quote by JaGi
Haha berrrrr

They use one mesa up there and 2 6505+ into mesa cabs.

In the studio I'm pretty sure they use 5150/6505s like any self respecting metal band, but live they definitely use Dual Rectifiers.

But yeah 6505s rock. The 6505+ not so much.
eyebanez333
UG's storm chaser
1,966 IQ
A lot of info in this thread=

Quote by halvies
I think the 5150's are now 3120's.

Nope. The 5150/II's are now 6505/+'s. The XXX is essentially now the 3120 with different tubes coming stock...even though you can change the tubes in the XXX too.
Last edited by eyebanez333 at Dec 10, 2009,
JaGi
t3h br00t41z
155 IQ
Quote by |Matt|
In the studio I'm pretty sure they use 5150/6505s like any self respecting metal band, but live they definitely use Dual Rectifiers.

I'm pretty sure they dont, i know for fact it was what i said on the last tour.
chrisg7
UG Fanatic
724 IQ
Quote by |Matt|

not exactly...
Quote by wolvenrick
I think black doom death metal is just plain stupid. go flame on me but i can't hear nothing but shit on those songs with everything in drop A or below. also it could've been without lyrics as you'd never hear them anyway.
Meatball200
Owl-King
384 IQ
Quote by JaGi
I'm pretty sure they dont, i know for fact it was what i said on the last tour.

Indeed, whenever I've seen them in the UK it's at least one 6505+
bmx4ever
10 IQ
Quote by xLTGx
thanks for the replies. i was thinking of getting a peavy but we have one at the school music room and annoys the hell out of me lol. do you guys know anything about the Line Six III 120W? and yeah i definately need to try before i buy. and also whats so bad about the ML-2?? its far better than the MT-2 imo..

The line 6 spider lll 120W is ****ing amazing. i have one, but what ive learned from it, its pretty hard to make your OWN sounds. But if you live covering the nthis amp is perfect . But if your looking for your own sound then i wouldent get it

im about to get the peavey transtube supreme there pretty good
tubetime86
I don't even play guitar.
1,633 IQ
Quote by bmx4ever
The line 6 spider lll 120W is ****ing amazing. i have one, but what ive learned from it, its pretty hard to make your OWN sounds. But if you live covering the nthis amp is perfect . But if your looking for your own sound then i wouldent get it

Don't bump old threads... Especially with terrible, false information like this.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
DaddyTwoFoot
Barned
338 IQ
Quote by bmx4ever

There is no way that you just bumped a six-month old thread to say that Spiders are awesome. There is no way.

Though, what can you expect from a Spider-owner.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.