Conservationist
realist
4,716 IQ
Love this French Canadian band:

Band: Obliveon
Genre: Technical Death Metal
Recommended album: From This Day Forward

When Obliveon took on technical metal, they aspired to find a unique voice in a genre that was so rapidly developing it had no boundaries. Much like countrymen Voivod, Obliveon harmonize their melodies with a feel of different planes of evolution intersecting, which underscores the technological theme of this technical death metal.

Obliveon reviews

Obliveon - From This Day Forward $5

Anyone else? Technical guitar work, a little rock 'n roll but still really strong in harmony.
Snyper
Warm and Fuzzy King
1,059 IQ
oh man this brings back memories, i havent listened to them in years, good band, gotta get some of their stuff again
My sig is better than yours
VampireGoldfish
Suddenly...
3,617 IQ
Great stuff. Always fascinated with these guys and surprised that they don't get much attention, especially with their accessible appeal.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,
I’m not ashamed to be white
Vi doede ikke... vi har aldri levd
Barbarism is the natural state of mankind
Civilization is unnatural

It is a whim of circumstance
an unenlightened one
Sanitarium91
Night Dreamer
1,591 IQ
Incredible band, just so damn great. Though Voivod's great and I know that while being kinda similar to Obliveon genre-wise (just that these guys seem to make more "serious" technical sci-fi thrash when Voivod makes it more tongue-in-the-cheek), these guys make Voivod look like a bunch of amateurs haha.

Only thing is that, correct me if I'm wrong, these guys have only made 2 great albums (and some stuff that didn't really appeal to me). But meh, with these guys more than any other, quality > quantity.
Penisaur
Praise the name of Stan
636 IQ
I've been doing some From This Day Forward lately. Top-notch stuff, you kw33rs should listen to this band.
Matthew 5:5 - "Blessed are the meek: for they shall Beherit the earth."
freddaahh
A jolly nice chap
483 IQ
Ahhh, yes, Obliveon! From This Day Forward is some of the finest Progressive Thrash there is. It's always worth a listen.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
kirkhammett09
3,930 IQ
Woah, never heard of these guys before! I like them a lot. Btw, anyone know what tuning they are in?
Guitar_Kingdom
Ist Krieg
324 IQ
Great band; I kind of forgot about them; thanks for reminding me!
Other planes lie beyond the reach
Of normal sense and common roads
But they are no less real
Than what we see or touch or feel
-Burzum

MoogleRancha is a twat
The Kreator
Banned
852 IQ
Fun game...

Oh, wait...

Never heard of them before, I'll check them out
HamburgerBoy
32 IQ
Quote by Butt Rayge
I wonder if they know they spelled Oblivion wrong...

They were Oblivion in their demo days, so I'd imagine so. Metal-Archives had a billion Oblivions, so they probably wanted to stand out a bit.
HelloHalo
RIP Dio.
549 IQ
I know their drummer's wife

I've only heard "Nemesis" myself.

Edit: Wow, that wink made it sound dirty . I meant she regularly posts on a Facebook group I frequent, and we're on pretty good terms.
My Last.fm

Quote by \Powerslave/
HelloHalo, I love you.

WHO SEND ALL THESE BABIES TO FIGHT?
Last edited by HelloHalo at Jul 20, 2009,
Stranglehold
6,080 IQ
Gonna give this a bump... From This Day Forward is easily one of the best-crafted albums Ive heard. Never needs to go balls-out speed either, just flows like an alien river.
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
Sanitarium91
Night Dreamer
1,591 IQ
Quote by Stranglehold
From This Day Forward is easily one of the best-crafted albums Ive heard. Never needs to go balls-out speed either, just flows like an alien river.
Totally. Every goddamn song is just balls-to-the-walls incredible. But it's not like there's not any fast bits... and the fast bits that do exist are even that much more effective. Like for example that bit after the clean break on Fiction of Veracity. But it's definitely never speed for the sake of speed. And the leads! So tasteful, and they perfectly ooze with that spacey atmosphere. I just can't stop praising this album!

Considering how consistently this stays on my playlist, and how it never ceases to keep me enthralled, I'd say my all time favourite album is a pretty damn close call between this and a certain other album.
Stranglehold
6,080 IQ
Quote by Sanitarium91
Totally. Every goddamn song is just balls-to-the-walls incredible. But it's not like there's not any fast bits... and the fast bits that do exist are even that much more effective. Like for example that bit after the clean break on Fiction of Veracity. .

Haha snap, was just trying to learn that bit on guitar. Yeah It definitely works better when a band can keep things interesting at a mid-pace... there's only so many variations on the thrash beat you can listen to before it gets boring, ya know?
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
Butt Rayge
UG Resident
2,788 IQ
I can't recall if I gave them a good listen. I'll bump it back up to the top so it reminds me. I'll get to it sometime tomorrow probably.
we_built_a_tree
Dead as a doornail
255 IQ
Top of the heap as far as non-savage thrash metal goes on their first album, no doubt. I'd take that one over lots of other "proggy" stuff.
If I took this cigarette and put it out on you...

...would you love me?
Sanitarium91
Night Dreamer
1,591 IQ
elatihc
10 IQ
^People like you make a visit to UG worthwhile!

I have yet to check it out though (but I think tuxguitar will open those gp5 files/any chance of text files?). One of my all time favourite thrash (or any!) albums along with Aspid's lone masterpiece.
Sanitarium91
Night Dreamer
1,591 IQ
Tux should open it, the playback on tux is a bit different (it seems to leave out little details from the file), but it should work. As a last resort I can transfer the tracks into pdf files, let me know if that's needed.

Aspid you say? Hmmm... haven't thought about tabbing them yet for some reason, that'd be awesome though haha. If I would, I should probably tab them in tuning/tempo of the original and not the sped up version's. I should probably finish the rest of the Obliveon tabs I have lying around first though.
NosferatuZodd09
Maiden thread -> Barf
1,561 IQ
Said it before and will say it again. Sanitarium's a ****ing hero
Morphogenesis26
UG Nerd
468 IQ
Quote by Sanitarium91

My pants are off my body. My shirt has been flung across the room. My penis is at full mast.

My body is ready, Sanitarium.
Sanitarium91
Night Dreamer
1,591 IQ
Oh noes, what do I do now?

Haha, cheers though guys, I'm glad I didn't end up making them only for myself. I've been pretty productive lately, just need to find the time to finish up the last 2 songs that haven't yet been tabbed from that album. I just feel that album rules too much not to be fully tabbed out. Nemesis would deserve to be transcribed as well, really. There's only so much time in a day...
Morphogenesis26
UG Nerd
468 IQ
Everything off that album is tuned to Eb, right? I may take a stab at Fiction Of Veracity(song).
NosferatuZodd09
Maiden thread -> Barf
1,561 IQ
haha you should help me finish one or two of my Demigod tabs good ol' 'anitarium. Mostly Perpetual Ascent that has these weird... high pitched chords or something in the background that I cant decipher

but yeah these are great man cheers
Sanitarium91
Night Dreamer
1,591 IQ
^^Eb aye, there's already a tab of that song though, mistakenly titled Friction of Veracity haha. Despite that silly mistake I remember the tab being pretty good. Chronocraze was also done by someone. So basically that leaves Droïdomized and Access To The Acropolis. I've done a good deal of both songs, and pretty close to finishing Access... which is funny cause I remember that Droïdomized was the first song I started tabbing.

Is it the intro/outro thing on the left panned guitar? Cause that sounds like a quick minor chord arpeggio type thing. Like so (in standard tuning):

------4---------3-------------2----
-------5---------4-------------3---
--------6---------5-------------4--
-6---------5---------4-------------
-4---------3---------2-------------
-------------------------------------

------5---------4-------------------
-------6---------5------------------
--------7---------6-----------------
-7---------6---------3-------------
-5---------4---------1-------------
-------------------------------------
NosferatuZodd09
Maiden thread -> Barf
1,561 IQ
haha it's to B tuning but looks about right lol I'll give it a spin

and lol yeah I was gonna mention that song was already tabbed, a good portion of Nemesis is done, all by the same guy that did Chrono and what not. It does seem like he did some good work as well.

anyway heres the perpetual ascent tab
another thing that's kinda giving me trouble is due to how ****ing low the guitars sound im not sure whether the powerchords are power chords or the inverted ones like

which demigod also loves to use
well **** it wont let me attach it lol
Attachments:
Perpetual Ascent [inc1].gp5
Last edited by NosferatuZodd09 at Jul 4, 2013,
Sanitarium91
Night Dreamer
1,591 IQ
The main thing wrong with that tab is the last two chords of the main chord sequence, instead of

5 4
3 2

it should be

4 3
2 1

btw, it says "unholy domain" in your tab, are you tabbing the demo version? why?

I fixed the first 4 bars the way it sounds to me, you can take that as something to go by if you think it sounds right.

Btw, I think we should stop spamming the Obliveon thread with tab talk of a different band. Send me a pm or something if you have need help.
Attachments:
Perpetual Ascent [inc1].gp5
elatihc
10 IQ
btw Tux opened it fine so no worries. Thanks again (I play most of these techie stuff bits and pieces - obviously the bits which I actually can!) - and it's usually just for my own ears :s
nevermind you still did a great job putting that up....now err ahem Aspid
NosferatuZodd09
Maiden thread -> Barf
1,561 IQ
hahaha the UD version seems clearer, they're both fairly similar only with minor differences but indeed, I'll pm ya, you should add what you think are the high pitched chords to it though :p
there's a bunch of detail work I never solved

anywayy looking forward to your next Obliveon tabs :P