Page 5 of 26
learn to ****ing eq.

I'm going to go ahead and not get offended by that because I mean, youre right, I don't really know how to EQ. Thats kind of why I'm here, to learn. I was just speaking from what little experience I had. *Shrug*

But the thing is, to my knowledge he used the pod farm platinum stuff, where as (as far as my knowledge goes!) line 6 products only come with the basic pod farm, which doesn't include the 5150 sim or mesa ect ect.

I just think using free VST plugins that sound better then the stuff included with line6 products (that ARENT free) is the most logical choice.
epic win thread.

i just got revalver and i've been playing it a lot lately.
Quote by ClassicAxe

consider anything derek suggests, He IS a gain VVhore you know
Quote by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile
Thomasoman...

As one of the developers of those free vst's I whole heartedly concur, and if you use any of our stuff, we really appreciate it and thank you...

Ken
AcmeBarGig Inc.
Quote by Thomasoman
I'm going to go ahead and not get offended by that because I mean, youre right, I don't really know how to EQ. Thats kind of why I'm here, to learn. I was just speaking from what little experience I had. *Shrug*

But the thing is, to my knowledge he used the pod farm platinum stuff, where as (as far as my knowledge goes!) line 6 products only come with the basic pod farm, which doesn't include the 5150 sim or mesa ect ect.

I just think using free VST plugins that sound better then the stuff included with line6 products (that ARENT free) is the most logical choice.

word man, sorry for being a dick haha

yeah he does but its the same as the metal pack or anything you know really. all you have to know how to eq is on guitars, set your highpass to like 60-80 and low pass till the fizz dissapears, and then just eq to taste, remember less is more , and i def agree i do love vst amps. so much
Just a note too Catharsis...For the Low Pass, most Cabinet emulators, including ours, use a 2 POLE LP filter for the emulation. Most of the time that is the best place to get rid of the"Fizz". Drop it at about 8500...If its filtered before the Cab, a lot of times it will leave kinda like "gaps" in tone. But having said that, sometimes those gaps in tone can create some interesting tones themselves. For example the BALLS TO WALLL sound from Accept.

KM
Last edited by JohnnyMcFly at Jun 19, 2009,
word man, sorry for being a dick haha

yeah he does but its the same as the metal pack or anything you know really. all you have to know how to eq is on guitars, set your highpass to like 60-80 and low pass till the fizz dissapears, and then just eq to taste, remember less is more , and i def agree i do love vst amps. so much

Its no problem, I mean I really appreciate all the help you guys have given on this topic. I think before this thread hit UG it's been believed in this forum that you HAVE to have a good amp well mic'd with pro gear to get a pro sounding mix. But hearing what can be done with just free vst amps...definitely gives my wallet hope, anyway. XD

Also, I recorded a song using the stuff I learned from this topic, its up on my profile. I'd greatly appreciate it if one of you more knowledgeable types checked it out and told me what I could specifically improve. It should be the first one, called 'Dogma: I am God'

Theres clean vox on it for one verse, I just didn't want to forget the vocal melody I had so I recorded it and accidentally mixed it with that. They're pretty terribly mixed so if you have any advice there it'd also be appreciated but I'm mostly worried about the instruments mix.
Last edited by Thomasoman at Jun 19, 2009,
The idea that you need to spend thousands to get a pro mix is absolute BULL****.
At least nowadays it is.
Back when the first Pod came out, **** like this was still a bit of a pipe-dream, but now that there's a **** load of free amp sims and utterly incredible sounding cab simulations out there (thanks to our resident impulse making guru Catharsis,) the quality of the guitar tone you can achieve for free is no longer limited by your wallet, just your skill, anyone who tells you otherwise is talking out of their ass. Why? Because me and Catharsis have proved it's perfectly possible.
Plus, there's midi, and millions of free drum samples out there, all recorded at a huge level of quality. Then there's midi bass...
So to crank out a professional sounding recording (at least an INSTRUMENTAL one, vocals you do genuinely need to shell out some bucks for a good mic) you just need skill.
Don't believe ANYONE who says that the gear dictates the quality, because it's bull****.
Expensive **** will increase the quality of your recordings, but think of that like extra icing on an already mother****ing good cake.
your mixes will already sound pro, but they'll just sound extra pro, and if you're passionate about recording, and about recording gear, then you'll end up seeking that **** out eventually, but getting the pro sound is perfectly possible, and not as hard as it seems or sounds, as we've pretty much proven with this topic. i spent like, two minutes on the tone for that thrash track, the rest of the time was doing the screenshots and writing the tutorial.
And keep in mind, this is a forum for musicians and instrumentalists, not producers.
The riffs and recordings forum is full of musicians who want to record their tracks so they have some **** to show off, not audio engineers who want to (or do already) make a living recording music.
The two perspectives are fundamentally different, and one of those sides is prone to frequently talking out its ass, and I'm not talking about the producers. Hell, most producers are musicians, or musical, in the first place and are people who started off wanting to record their own **** but took it 10 steps too far haha.
All I'm saying is, take recording advice with a grain of salt when it's coming from a forum based predominantly around musicianship and instrumental talent.

And as for the production on your track, sounds ****ing immense dude.
There's some stuff I'd change with the way you've recorded stuff and panned it out for instance, but as far as the sound goes, it's top notch.
Hey Dream Pin are you TheXRatedDodo on the sneap forums?

If so I saw that "15yo kids on UG" thread. What is that EQ I'd like to try it. I have cubase 4 LE does it come with that or is only a full version insert?
Quote by seanington
Hey Dream Pin are you TheXRatedDodo on the sneap forums?

If so I saw that "15yo kids on UG" thread. What is that EQ I'd like to try it. I have cubase 4 LE does it come with that or is only a full version insert?

i am indeed bro

and i'm going to sound like im being a dick for this but hear me out:
you're not getting the settings. why?
because every guitar player sounds entirely different through the same settings, and the same guitar settings may not work for a different type of song or mix or anything.
theres too many variables.

theres ball-park settings in the tutorial, play with them and you can easily get very, very close. i find that 7170 has all of like.. 1 sound i can get out of it, and that mix is pretty much that sound. play with it for 10 minutes and you'll get it.

plus, the only way you'll develop your ear for dialling in guitar tones is just.. dialling in more guitar tones.
if you use that track as a reference and try and match it i can guarantee you'll nail it nice and quickly.
I'd been planning on getting into recording stuff for a while before running into this thread. So now i've gone off and downloaded a bunch of VSTs and Reaper. I'm kind of stumped with how the midi works in reaper though, could anyone help me out here? What i've done is to export a guitar pro file as midi and open it in reaper, but I don't understand how to give the midi files sound in Reaper. I have been messing around for a couple of hours but I havn't really gotten anywhere. I hope that all made sense.
So I should just use the EQ in cubase underneat the inserts seaction? I was messing around with it and managed to get rid of the fizz etc. I'll have to read those EQ guides on the FAQ @ sneap forum and just mess around with what sounds good right?

I wasnt asking for settings I was just asking what EQ plug in it was.
wait my bad
i use Nuendo Q personally haha
but there are far better options
if you use reaper try the reaq or whatever its called
anyone know if Revalver MkII is as good as MkIII? I wanna buy one of them but i dont have to much money. How much do they run for also?
5150 III 100W, Mesa 4x12 Cab, Framus Cobra Cab, M-Audio Profire 610, ISA One Pre, SC607-b, Equator D5's, Countryman Type 85 Di box, Radial JCR, Superior Drummer, SSD 4 Ex, TS9, NS-2 and the list goes on and on
I haven't personally used Revalver mkII man, sorry, so I can't be of much help there.
Revalver mkIII is an incredible piece of software though.
However, despite that, I'd still recommend not buying it.
You can get a better sound with much more ease with soloc or 8505, far, far better.
Plus, Peavey's work ethic with customer support is absolutely diabolical, and that's what's held me back from buying it. Don't support bad work ethics, support the guys who make amazing free plugins and update them frequently and donate to their paypal accounts, give them the means to make bigger and better plugins.
They deserve your money for their hard work far more than Peavey do for Revalver.
bump, when are updates coming?
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
Quote by Dream Pin
I haven't personally used Revalver mkII man, sorry, so I can't be of much help there.
Revalver mkIII is an incredible piece of software though.
However, despite that, I'd still recommend not buying it.
You can get a better sound with much more ease with soloc or 8505, far, far better.
Plus, Peavey's work ethic with customer support is absolutely diabolical, and that's what's held me back from buying it. Don't support bad work ethics, support the guys who make amazing free plugins and update them frequently and donate to their paypal accounts, give them the means to make bigger and better plugins.
They deserve your money for their hard work far more than Peavey do for Revalver.

dude peaveys technical support isn't bad just usually busy,
I. Can't. Believe. This.

Oh. Lord.

This is the best ****ing thread I have ever read. Ever.

About I year ago I made a thread asking how to get great tone digitally. Most (or all) of the responses were: "you can't, get a really expensive amp."

I recently bought a used Peavey Prowler for a bargain. Still, this **** sounds waaaaaay better!

I'm recording a demo with my band and this things are gonna come in handy.

However, for the most part of the demo, we're going to be using clean guitars. I'm really looking forward to the next part of the tutorial!

Thanks a lot mates!
did a rough instrumental take, clip is here http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/lbj273/music/all/play652422. Grabbed the nearest guitar (Epi LP Special II), recorded a chord progression used the 6505 sim with the only change in settings being I changed the power tubes to el84's. Recorded the lead in one take, its sloppy but whatever. I used the 6505+ for the lead along with one of the reverb modules and a delay module. Couldn't hear what I was playing while I did the lead track but I think it stays in time for the most part.
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
Quote by CatharsisStudio
you guys need to post some examples in this thread of your work

I've been having a lot of trouble.
Disclaimer: I'm recording with an Ibanez GRX40, line-in. I used TSS, Nick's 8505 and Voxengo Boogex with the parameters on the first post (for TSS and Nick's 8505, I didn't touch the Boogex except for loading the impulse).

I get a lot (or in other words, a ****ing ****load) of noise. I tried using a noisegate but I still don't like the sound.

Here are the clips:

Noise that I get: http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/NiTrO_FrEeZiNg/music/all/play652506
Clip using noisegate: http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/NiTrO_FrEeZiNg/music/all/play652504
Clip without noisegate: http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/NiTrO_FrEeZiNg/music/all/play652505

I am suspecting that recording line-in is what's getting me all this noise. Would a DI help? It's just that I just spent all my money on the ****ing Prowler and I haven't got anything else to buy a DI.
This separate post is to ask a couple more questions:

1.- Why can I (barely) hear the metronome if I didn't make an audio track for it? (I'm using Cubase SX3)

2.- I think Dream Pin is using a Steinberg software, because of the layout. But I can't see the clipping warning thing even when I open the mixer (with F3). Where can I see it?

3.- Are this questions not allowed on this thread/forum?

4.- When are we gonna get the clean guitar tutorial?

5.- Are you guys as pumped up as me for the new Solo_C (plus a lot more cool ****) this Friday?
Last edited by NiTrO_FrEeZiNg at Jul 8, 2009,
Quote by lbj273
did a rough instrumental take, clip is here http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/lbj273/music/all/play652422. Grabbed the nearest guitar (Epi LP Special II), recorded a chord progression used the 6505 sim with the only change in settings being I changed the power tubes to el84's. Recorded the lead in one take, its sloppy but whatever. I used the 6505+ for the lead along with one of the reverb modules and a delay module. Couldn't hear what I was playing while I did the lead track but I think it stays in time for the most part.

I don't mean to be a party pooper but I think you should work with your tone a lot more. It sounds kinda plastic to me. Worse than a transistor amp. Also, it's kinda annoying having the lead track panned to the right. You should either pan it center, duplicate it and pan it left, or record the same thing and pan it left.

I know my sound is pretty ****ty too but I wanna get rid of the noise first and work with my tone later.
new solo_c is bad ass iam using it right now, for the clean guitar its just as easy, use the same impulse and just eq it how you want, add verb, and what not, now. its defiantly cause of how your going into your computer, 100%

sell the prowler buy an interface D:? you defiantly have the righr idea
Quote by NiTrO_FrEeZiNg
I've been having a lot of trouble.
Disclaimer: I'm recording with an Ibanez GRX40, line-in. I used TSS, Nick's 8505 and Voxengo Boogex with the parameters on the first post (for TSS and Nick's 8505, I didn't touch the Boogex except for loading the impulse).

I get a lot (or in other words, a ****ing ****load) of noise. I tried using a noisegate but I still don't like the sound.

Here are the clips:

Noise that I get: http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/NiTrO_FrEeZiNg/music/all/play652506
Clip using noisegate: http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/NiTrO_FrEeZiNg/music/all/play652504
Clip without noisegate: http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/NiTrO_FrEeZiNg/music/all/play652505

I am suspecting that recording line-in is what's getting me all this noise. Would a DI help? It's just that I just spent all my money on the ****ing Prowler and I haven't got anything else to buy a DI.

don't use boogex, use kefir, put the mix at 100% because you didn't change what you have to do in boogex it became an issue, cause booge with out killing off the amp is adding alot of distortion because it is an amp
Quote by CatharsisStudio
don't use boogex, use kefir, put the mix at 100% because you didn't change what you have to do in boogex it became an issue, cause booge with out killing off the amp is adding alot of distortion because it is an amp

Thanks a lot mate!
I'm on another computer but I'll try that tomorrow morning.

Also, do you know what was used for the drum sounds on the first post of this thread?

I bought (*cough* downloaded *cough*) EZDrummer with Drumkit From Hell expansion because that was what most people recommended on other forums. Is this mydrumkit you're talking about better? I've also heard that Addictive (Addicting?) Drums is pretty cool.

It's kinda obvious that I'm really pumped up about this **** but man... pro quality for free? It's awesome!
Quote by CatharsisStudio
dude i dig that alot, good drum sound what is? i know its fake. is that mydrumkit? also damn good tone man i love the songs.

thanks man, I hope you meant me lol.

Drums are XLN addictive drums, its a preset I found somewhere on the sneap forum. Has a nice clicky kick sound.
If i post a link to some stuff i recorded, does it have to be recorded using the stuff Dream Pin uses in this thread? or can it be recorded with anything?
Quote by muckypup
If i post a link to some stuff i recorded, does it have to be recorded using the stuff Dream Pin uses in this thread? or can it be recorded with anything?

You really should read the thread and think about it for a bit.

If not then I'll give you an answer: It's a thread on VST Amp Sims. Basically, to post clips of songs you've recorded using these VST's would make sense. ok?
Quote by seanington
I have some songs on my bands myspace profile with this VST. They are sorta pop-punkish sounding... just happened don't normally listen to that sorta thing but yeah.

I need to learn to EQ though

www.myspace.com/floorislavalol

The guitars sound really cool. The drums were a little too fake for me. Well, not the drums (at least not all). The cymbals and the bass drum are what screwed things up.
And the bridge on "Broken Wings" was really cool.

Which VSTs did you use? (I'm not asking for the settings, just your VST chain)