Page 1 of 4
esp1234
UG's firs-ahscrew it.
3,090 IQ
I recently got into these guys and I don't know why I waited so long to listen to them cause theyre freakin kick ass!!

Even bought the last waltz dvd. Love watching it loud everytime

Anybody else like the band?
Starkie
349 IQ
awesome band! i love atlantic city and chest fever
A Rolling Stone
1,112 IQ
^^Atlantic City is actually a Bruce Springsteen Cover, but a good cover at any rate.
I'll admit I've been looking on a thread for these guys forever, but I keep forgetting to make one. Music From Big Pink, S/t, and Stagefright are all classics.
I'm actually reading Levon's book right now, This Wheel's On Fire.
Hopefully this thread won't die at any rate.
Pot
Kettle
Black
hendrixfanatic
957 IQ
Several Band threads have already come and gone, which is a pity, since they were great! They have the best band name ever (with The Who as a close second), great musicians, great songs, and most of all, three amazing singers! Speaking of which, who is your favourite Band vocalist? Mine's Rick Danko, I love his sometimes almost-off key singing, very intense and emotional (and he's a very underrated bass player as well).

I really need to read This Wheel's on Fire, but it's very hard to find in Belgium. Is it a good read? I've heard Levon is pretty bitter against Robbie...
fattypumbaa
FattyPumbaa
559 IQ
Love the Band. Dylan w/ the Band. Love Levon's recent solo stuff. Wish he'd make it out here to the west coast.
master
UG Board King
1,387 IQ
Fantastic songwriters, I love them to death. But the studio versions don't compare to the live versions.
ryantp
Hello Kitty Island
233 IQ
Great band very obscure though. When I first heard of them I snickered when my friend told me their name is "The Band".
eberg2
947 IQ
The Band is the greatest band name to be the name of a band

hehe^horrible humor

, but

anyways

watching the Last Waltz is always an experience, but they are insanely underrated, and always great to listen to
esp1234
UG's firs-ahscrew it.
3,090 IQ
Quote by hendrixfanatic
Several Band threads have already come and gone, which is a pity, since they were great! They have the best band name ever (with The Who as a close second), great musicians, great songs, and most of all, three amazing singers! Speaking of which, who is your favourite Band vocalist? Mine's Rick Danko, I love his sometimes almost-off key singing, very intense and emotional (and he's a very underrated bass player as well).

I really need to read This Wheel's on Fire, but it's very hard to find in Belgium. Is it a good read? I've heard Levon is pretty bitter against Robbie...

yeah, I'd have to say Rick is my favorite singer. I love how he sings unfaithful servant Puts a lot of emotion in it, and I also like his Don't Do it cover from the last waltz.

R.I.P Rick
A Rolling Stone
1,112 IQ
Quote by hendrixfanatic

It's a fantastic read. Levon's style of writing is just so blunt that it's great. And yes, he does make Robbie look like a total asshat.
Pot
Kettle
Black
BrainDamage
Knirps for moisture
4,254 IQ
Quote by hendrixfanatic
Speaking of which, who is your favourite Band vocalist?
Rick Danko by far. He has such a gritty voice, but it's freaking awesome.

Music From Big Pink is one of my favorite albums. These guys were really, really good.
How to achieve Frank Zappa's guitar tone:
Quote by Thefallofman
Step 1: Buy a Gibson SG
Step 2: Insert Green Ringer, EQ, 3 dead squirrels and a microwave into said SG
Step 3: Plug in and freak the **** out.
A Rolling Stone
1,112 IQ
^^Speaking of that album, I've been playing music in the basement of my Grandma's brick house that looks just like Big Pink...So I've named the music that we play there the Basement Tapes from Big Red

And yes, Danko is my favourite vocalist, with Levon then Richard not far behind.
Pot
Kettle
Black
BrainDamage
Knirps for moisture
4,254 IQ
Quote by A Rolling Stone
^^Speaking of that album, I've been playing music in the basement of my Grandma's brick house that looks just like Big Pink...So I've named the music that we play there the Basement Tapes from Big Red
Big Pink is in upstate NY, right by Levon Helm's house. He holds concerts called "rambles" in his house, and when I get the money, I'm gonna take a drive up there with nothing but Dylan/The Band CDs in my car and go see a ramble and visit Big Pink.
Quote by Thefallofman
radio_schizo
don't look now
2,833 IQ
Just listening to 'em now actually - Richard Manuel, what a voice! he's my favourite vocalist, followed by Danko.

Overall though such a ridiculously talented group of musicians. Danko's bass and Helm's drum are so damn tight. Then you get the great array of musical sounds from Garth Hudson, Helm's mandolin, Robertsons bluesy guitar licks + plus the amazing mix of voices throughout.

Really great band - you can tell these guys had such a passion and natural talent for music.
Last edited by radio_schizo at Jun 1, 2009,
Thefallofman
Lesh Is More
1,572 IQ
I've just sort of learned about the band's inner turmoil around the Last Waltz and it's really made me feel sorry for Levon. Robbie was a great writer, but he seemed like a total dick towards the end of the group's original incarnation.

I'm seeing Levon with the Black Crowes this Summer and I'm stoked.
Hey, I'm Mike.
A Rolling Stone
1,112 IQ
Quote by BrainDamage
Big Pink is in upstate NY, right by Levon Helm's house. He holds concerts called "rambles" in his house, and when I get the money, I'm gonna take a drive up there with nothing but Dylan/The Band CDs in my car and go see a ramble and visit Big Pink.

That would be amazing. Didn't the Crowes record Cabin Fever in Levon's Barn or something?
Pot
Kettle
Black
esp1234
UG's firs-ahscrew it.
3,090 IQ
Did Ronnie Hawkins sing with The Band? I think I've read that somewhere, but I'm not sure now
BrainDamage
Knirps for moisture
4,254 IQ
Quote by A Rolling Stone
That would be amazing. Didn't the Crowes record Cabin Fever in Levon's Barn or something?
Yes they did. Well, the sessions were dubbed "Cabin Fever" but I don't think that will be the name of the album.
Quote by Thefallofman
A Rolling Stone
1,112 IQ
^^Oh yeah, I remember reading on amorica2 that it's gonna be double album called "Before the Frost, Until the Freeze" and it's gonna be all bluegrassy and what not.
Sounds Delicious
Pot
Kettle
Black
cornmancer
Thou mayest
814 IQ
I love their work with Bob Dylan, but I never bothered to listen to the other stuff. I always think, "Oh yeah I should listen to The Band on Last.Fm or Playlist" but don't get around to it. I feel ashamed of myself
radio_schizo
don't look now
2,833 IQ
^stop feeling sorry for yourself and do it now while you remember you lazy bastid!
Thefallofman
Lesh Is More
1,572 IQ
Quote by cornmancer
I love their work with Bob Dylan, but I never bothered to listen to the other stuff. I always think, "Oh yeah I should listen to The Band on Last.Fm or Playlist" but don't get around to it. I feel ashamed of myself

Just pick up Music From Big Pink. You certainly won't regret it.
Hey, I'm Mike.
trackmind
ha ha funny
725 IQ
the band were so good at what they were doing and they seemed to have a great time doing it. fantastic songwriters and musicians. music from big pink is such an uplifting, beautiful album. i love how they just mix country, rock, folk, blues, soul and pretty much every other genre out there.

does anybody else think that the performance of helpless on the last waltz is pretty much the best performance ever?
esp1234
UG's firs-ahscrew it.
3,090 IQ
^
It was good, but I wouldn't say it was the best. Neil sounded like he was struggling with his voice. Helpless did sound great on his Live massey album though
trackmind
ha ha funny
725 IQ
^i don't know, i've seen so many live sets and heard so many live recording, and that one undoubtedly qualifies for my top 5. i just find it really emotionally captivating. the fact that it's not too polished and that neil is kind of struggling kind of just adds character in my opinion. but yeah, different strokes for different folks i guess.
A Rolling Stone
1,112 IQ
Also, as I was reading This Wheel's on Fire I think I caught something that lead the band to make such great music...there was no frontman. While Robbie certainly was the primary songwriter, no-one took the center-stage all the time in contrast to, say, Ronnie and the Hawks. I guess they're one of the only band's I know like that with 3 lead vocalists and what-not.

Btw, has anyone seen the Clapton Crossroads '07 festival with Robbie and Eric doin' Who Do You Love? It's great, even though Robbie looks like death.
Pot
Kettle
Black
BrainDamage
Knirps for moisture
4,254 IQ
Quote by esp1234
Neil sounded like he was struggling with his voice.
That could be due to the fact that he was high as a kite. I thought that version of Helpless wasn't very good.
Quote by Thefallofman
A Rolling Stone
1,112 IQ
^^If you're talking about the Massey Hall '71 Helpless, then yes, I feel like it's lacking. But the Helpless from the Last Waltz is my all-time favorite performance of it. Neil's facial expressions crack me up. And Joni Mitchell in the shadows wailing is just pure win.

EDIT: To the guy below me, I've heard that before. Can anyone confirm this or give me a screenshot/time to look for it? I've always wondered...
Pot
Kettle
Black
Last edited by A Rolling Stone at Jun 3, 2009,
esp1234
UG's firs-ahscrew it.
3,090 IQ
Just remembered something. If you look closely, you can see a piece of coke in his left nostril.
BrainDamage
Knirps for moisture
4,254 IQ
Quote by A Rolling Stone
^^If you're talking about the Massey Hall '71 Helpless, then yes, I feel like it's lacking. But the Helpless from the Last Waltz is my all-time favorite performance of it. Neil's facial expressions crack me up. And Joni Mitchell in the shadows wailing is just pure win.
I was thinking the other way around, actually. Everything on the Massey Hall disc is beyond perfection in my opinion. If that isn't among the best live albums ever, then I don't know what is.
Quote by Thefallofman
A Rolling Stone
1,112 IQ
^^The introduction to the Needle and the Damage Done on the Massey Hall release is great, and as usual the song is great too.
I like the album, but I think a few of the tracks aren't what they should be, Helpless being one of them.
Anyways, does anyone here have the Live '68 Neil Young thing. I'm too lazy to buy it without knowing how it is...
Pot
Kettle
Black
dwightleach
247 IQ
I've never heard any of the bands stuff. I hope its good.
Jazz Funeral
O.N. Original Nunt
16 IQ
Sure you have. "The Weight" and "Up on Cripple Creek" have been all over classic rock stations since they were modern rock. I really like "The Shape I'm In", the relentless bounce under Manuel's vocals just makes me smile and boogie. "Rag Mama Rag", "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down", and "Stage Fright" are also favorites. Also, check out Levon Helm and the RCO Allstars.
XBOX LIVE Gamertag: Jazz Funeral
Currently killing with The Nunts crew in Max Payne 3

Quote by Weaponized
ON LIGHTNING.
A Rolling Stone
1,112 IQ
New Levon Helm release coming out June 30 entitled "Electric Dirt".
Can I get a hell yes on this one?

But seriously, I'm really looking forward to this. And that's a badass album title if I ever heard one.
Pot
Kettle
Black
trackmind
ha ha funny
725 IQ
don't know if this should go here or in the dylan thread, but thought i'd put it here since this thread/band need the attention more than dylan.

so, what do people think about the basement tapes? i think they're pretty amazing. first thing i fell in love with was actually the production. the songs themselves are great, but i think the unpolished approach to production really gives it a more true feel. it sounds so organic and alive, which really fits the songwriting and performance style in my opinion.
hendrixfanatic
957 IQ
As an album, I don't like it very much, since it's a half Band album (with none of it recorded in Dylan's basement: The Band bits were recorded in Big Pink, so they aren't Basement Tapes). The Dylan songs are also great, but there were loads more and also brilliant.

That said, I love it as just a collection of songs, and it has some real gems: Katie's been gone, Yazoo street scandal, Bessie Smith, This wheel's on fire, Going to Acapulco, ...