So I have a 25w bass amp and I always struggle to be heard at rehearsal. The drummer also has a bass amp of comparable power. I'm wondering if it would be possible to plug the line out of his amp into my amp's input so that both amps are going and I would essentially be getting twice the power. Would this damage my amp?
I've done it before with guitar amps. You should be fine, considering it's at line level, but don't expect to get much clean signal.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
I'd just suggest getting a much better bass amp. I can't suggest you much in the way of bass amps, but I've been told you will probably need a lot more than 25 watts to be heard.
Fender '04 Strat
MiM Sunburst with Maple Neck

Ibanez TS-808
Fender Blues Junior
Marshall JTM60
Quote by Shiromar
I'd just suggest getting a much better bass amp. I can't suggest you much in the way of bass amps, but I've been told you will probably need a lot more than 25 watts to be heard.

I'm saving up for a nice stack but that's going to take a while, this is just a temp solution for now.
I would imagian that bass amps work like guitar amps when you plug into the line out, it disables the current speaker and puts all power towards the line out. So, in this case, you would be running an extra 25 watts into amp designed for 25 watts. I say you either fry it, or the speaker blows.
^
My friend's amp still goes even when something's plugged into the line out, we tried it once for recording. I'm not going to push my amp more than it can handle.
Quote by ethan_hanus
I would imagian that bass amps work like guitar amps when you plug into the line out, it disables the current speaker and puts all power towards the line out. So, in this case, you would be running an extra 25 watts into amp designed for 25 watts. I say you either fry it, or the speaker blows.

please don't take this in a bad way, just informative. if plug into another out and it disables the speaker and puts 'all the power towards the line out' then it is not a line out, it is a speaker out. this is an important distinction, cuz if you took a speaker out of an amp and ran it to the input jack of another amp... well i don't know what exactly would happen but i would imagine you would find out pretty quick, i would imagine it would smell funny afterwords too. like you said 'it would fry it'. a 'line-out' is a dedicated jack on an amp that gives a 'line-level' signal(pretty much the signal after the preamp) to another device like another amp or recording device.

@TS, i use my line out on my thd to power my leslie model 60 amp and it works great.
EDIT: As long as you're 100% sure it's a line out, then I guess you're fine.
Might sound weird though.
100w Peavey Valveking Head
Mesa Rectifier 4x12 Standard Cab
Ibanez RG 321
Boss DD-7
iSP Decimator x2
BBE Boosta Grande
Modded Crybaby
MXR Blue Box
Numark Power Conditioner
Korg DTR-1000
It isn't going to increase your volume or anything. Running the line out of one amp into the input of another amp will essentially make that first amp a glorifief OD/distortion pedal. I've done it with VST's every now and then.

Better off just getting a new amp imo.
WTLTL 2011
What a load of tosh some people talk. Yes you can use multi amps. Brian May is famous for once using 30 AC 30's for his guitar. Ine way is to pass through a stereo pedal of some kind, with no effect on, or a little stereo mixer and run each output into each amp. I have a copy Rikki bass with twin output for that very purpose.
Another way to do it is if you have a non-bypass line out, you can connect that to a power (or FX loop) input and just use the second amps power amp.
Then there's the twin input option. If the channel you use on your amp has a second input, you can simply connect that to the prime input of the second amp. It works as a very simple splitter.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Quote by Lurcher
What a load of tosh some people talk. Yes you can use multi amps. Brian May is famous for once using 30 AC 30's for his guitar. Ine way is to pass through a stereo pedal of some kind, with no effect on, or a little stereo mixer and run each output into each amp. I have a copy Rikki bass with twin output for that very purpose.
Another way to do it is if you have a non-bypass line out, you can connect that to a power (or FX loop) input and just use the second amps power amp.
Then there's the twin input option. If the channel you use on your amp has a second input, you can simply connect that to the prime input of the second amp. It works as a very simple splitter.

You speak the truth, but I don't think this is what the OP was getting at.
WTLTL 2011
I know my bass amp the line out/fx send the internal speaker still works if you connect a jack. But it must be a parallel loop vs series. As long as it says line out or fx send then it wont be to much signal. Another trick I have used with the bass amp I have is put a EQ pedal in the FX loop and crank the vol on the pedal it will boost things considerably. Doing it with the input just gives distortion.
Quote by Mark G
You speak the truth, but I don't think this is what the OP was getting at.

I might have been too vague. What I meant was that my friend's amp has a line out and its internal speaker is still running and making sound even when something's plugged into the line out jack. I'm not trying to make my one amp play twice as loud, I want both amps to be running at the same time at their normal volumes.

If I wanted to push my amp past its normal volume level I have pedals that can do that for me.
Last edited by pwrmax at Jun 11, 2009,
Quote by Lurcher

Daisy chain baby. Works great.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020
Daisy chain baby. Works great.

By 2 inputs you mean 2 that are the same or a passive and active input?