The original 490 pickup in my Gibson The Paul SE went out a long time ago. It got replaced with a reversed-polarity Duncan SH-5, which has also gone out in recent years. I need something with fairly high output, but with that thick, velvety response. I'm not looking for the exact Slash tone, because without his fingers and a Marshall amp, it ain't gonna happen, but hopefully someone here gets what i mean by thick and velvety (giggity). I'm not interested in a Classic 57 or a PAF, because those dont have strong enough magnets.

I've read some good stuff about the SD-100. I wanna hear some opinions on it for the neck position in a Les Paul.
Tastes like chicken, if chicken was a candy.
its not velvety, not really thick.

its not what you want.

if you wanted a gilbert sorta tone, then yeah, go for it. but yeh, not your thing
*Enter Sig Here*
DiMarzio PAF Pro. An Alnico 5 magnet is plenty strong enough for a neck pickup.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by Shinozoku
DiMarzio PAF Pro. An Alnico 5 magnet is plenty strong enough for a neck pickup.

Cool. I'll check those out. I like that neck pickup tone that sounds almost like it's been fattened up with an octaver when I do certain runs.

* Edit. I tend to do all my sweep arpeggios and many of my leads with the neck pickup.
Last edited by ConfederateAxe at Jun 12, 2009,
Watch Paul Gilbert play Godzilla. It's done with a Mahogany neckthrough guitar with dual super distortions.
Quote by satchgear
I tried it out in store.

Great neck, nice n light, good tuning stability. Overall a good guitar. I didn't but it cause I generally only buy guitars over a grand now.
And also, someone told me that when a magnet in a pickup breaks apart, it renders the pickup useless because you end up with multiple pieces with different polarities, instead of just one piece with a positive and negative end. Any one with any knowledge on this? I think that's why my SH-5 failed.
look at a super-2 by dimarzio
i think a guitar with a 24-3/4" mahogany neck
with a mahogany body

i've got one running in the neck position with a 1-meg vol-pot and the last time i heard that thing it ripped on my Jackson DKMG
but before you try switching pickups, try exchanging your 500k volume-pot for a 1-meg pot. it will open it up and bring out a lot of clarity.
Quote by sethp
look at a super-2 by dimarzio
i think a guitar with a 24-3/4" mahogany neck
with a mahogany body

i've got one running in the neck position with a 1-meg vol-pot and the last time i heard that thing it ripped on my Jackson DKMG
but before you try switching pickups, try exchanging your 500k volume-pot for a 1-meg pot. it will open it up and bring out a lot of clarity.

Im not switching pickups. The neck pickup in my Les Paul failed. I need a different replacement because the pickup that failed is no longer to my taste, tone-wise.

I'll look into the 1-meg pot thing, though. Thanks.
not entirely sure how a magnet in a pickup falls apart??

did you drop it?? is it hella old?
*Enter Sig Here*