Page 1 of 36
ReportAsPhuck
UG Snitch
934 IQ
Well, here you go. A thread for discussing anything and everything to do with vocals. If you have any suggestions or any questions on anything voice-related, post them here. This will not only clear up the forums of other vocal threads (not that there are many), but it will also (hopefully) please the people who want a seperate vocal forum.

Anyways, I'll start off by asking a question:
I've read numerous times in other posts on this site that milk (and other dairy products) is not good for your voice since it produces more phlegm, so I was wondering if there were any certain drinks that might help your voice.

There's a hole in our soul that we fill with dope, and we're feeling fine...
Sir Psycho Sexy
Banned
10 IQ
How do you get your voice louder without a mic. I can sing but when i try to sing quite loud it sounds like shouting.
Butterknife
UG's Canadian Dreadhead
123 IQ
lukewarm water helps to clear your throat, cold water is bad. Most carbonated beverages are not good for your voice.
Tomorrow never knows what it dosen't know too soon
ReportAsPhuck
UG Snitch
934 IQ
Originally posted by FlyingFuc!<
When i scream too hard or too long, I end up vomitting. How can I avoid this?

I would guess that it's just something you have to practice, but I'm not positive, because I rarely scream...
There's a hole in our soul that we fill with dope, and we're feeling fine...
jof1029
GO HOKIES!
2,175 IQ
ive heard that honey is good for your throat when singing, and you should definatly avoid milk.

when trying to sing while playing, the best way is to get one part down by itself so well that you dont have to think about it, usually the guitar (or other instument). then get a good grip on the other, usually vocals. then practice. if you only have to think a little about the vocals and not at all about the guitar you will be better off then trying to think about both. hope that helps someone.
Slurgi
Lazy Perfectionist
153 IQ
I think milk is bad because it makes your throat produce less phlegm, which is bad. I'm not entirely sure on that, but i am fairly sure that milk is bad, like you said.
Daveo
Grand
1,422 IQ
Can we research things before posting them? Not trying to be a bitch, but it's a little iffy just guessing things.
Just search around google or somethin if you're unsure of anything you're gonna say.

PiNGPoNG-DT
Embodiment of Moccos
16 IQ
Any tips on growling so that it has more of a saliva-ish sound?

Allow me to clarify:
By saliva-ish, I mean it's coming from the diaphram and all that, but there's also an added sound characteristic of having a bit of saliva in the vocal cords(?), which makes the growl have more of a "full" tone to it.

I don't know if I have explained it very well...
Anyway, sometimes I can achieve this sound, and sometimes it just sounds very dry. For the times where it does work, I have no idea how it works. I've tried drinking water to try to give the same effect as the saliva, but sometimes it runs right through the throat while other times a bit of fluid sticks around.
^(>(oo)<^
~Hail Piggy~
n_punx
ThePunkThatShreds!!!
86 IQ
anyone knows any good free sites with lessons in it for vocals?
CASUALTY01 IS UG's SUPERHERO! cas-
-------------------------------------------
Don't mess with PunkAsPhuck, he'll make you look like a loser.

- Member 6 of the PunkAsPhuck fan club! -
kurdtlennon
UG Newbie
10 IQ
alright... well the first post... first question how to get your voice louder is pretty easy... but hard to do... the trick iis in the breathing, everyones heard breathing or singing from the diaphram, but that just sounds stupid. the diaphram is actually a muscle attatched to the bottom of your lungs and when you "breath from it" all your really doing is making it pull towards the ground, which pulls your lungs and fills them with more air that just a regular breath. to breath like this though takes a little practice but after that its really easy, its just like coughing... to get the same effect and see how big of a breath it should actually be try breathing all of your air out (empty lungs) and holding it there for as long as you can... then breath in, thats what it should feel like. to do that try breathing without having your chest move at all, your upper and middle stomach should push out. that is breathing from your diaphram. then to make it even louder without screaming, put it a little more nasal than you normally would... theres all the trics to projection ive learned... hope it helps.
rock on
rock on!
let it be
damn the man save the empire!
steal sheep at a store near you
re-live woodstock!!!!!!
fingrpickngood
UG Sapper
12 IQ
what about any tips to increase your range. i am new to singing and sometimes i still have breath but run out of pitch, and can sing any higher without going falsetto.
pray for snow! see you on the mountains!
PiNGPoNG-DT
Embodiment of Moccos
16 IQ
^I think it's a bit harder than normal practice.

Most singers will be confined to a specific range at some point. That's how there are classes of voices: Bass, Baritone, Tenor, Alto, Soprano.

They wouldn't have needed castrati if guys could just practice their way to sounding as high as girls.
^(>(oo)<^
~Hail Piggy~
funeralforluke
UG Newbie
11 IQ
Answering n_punx question, here is a really good vocals tips site, has loads of really good stuff www.vocalist.org.uk, hope that helps.

The thing is, ive been practicing vocals for a while now, all kinds of different styles, ive only recently recorded myself singin, it sounds ok but theres two problems, 1.my voice is not powerful enough and 2. it sounds completely different to me when i listen to it playback. Can any good singer give me any tips for startin out vocals and making my voice sound more powerful.
§ound_of_§hade
UG Board King
49 IQ
You guys do know that drinking liquids has really a sparse effect on the singing voice.

I know drinking something like liquid nitrogen, or molten steel could mess up your voice just a pinch, but your vocal chords are in your larynx, and all liquids go down the pharynx, which is a diiferent cavity.

Also, you'll only be able to change the amount of phlegm in your larynx by giving yourelf histamines, and try to get a anaphylactic response, but once the vocal chords have adducted, the force of the air usually blows most of the phlegm out of the way, and only large amounts of phlegm in your larynx will change your voice, and having that much snot in your wind pipe aint exactly enjoyable.

I do know that drinking booze paralyses some of the muscles in the pharynx around the larynx, giving the body a higher threshold for vocal hypertension (makes you scream better)

I saw it all on a movie in choir once, I've taken it with a grain of salt, but it seems pretty medically sound.
Fin
cant_think_of_1
UG Newbie
14 IQ
im not in a band or ne thing but when i play song with my friends they always want me to sing the song im playing but i always get nervous and i always have to clear my throat to sing sorta high notes but i always sing normally around my dad when im playin songs....what do u people do when this happens to u?
i dont drink pepsi or cold water or lemonaid or those type of drinks cuz it makes me always have to clear my throat...i suggest just not drinkin ne thing cold or ne thing with sugar...drink warm water
Last edited by cant_think_of_1 at Jul 9, 2004,
Pyr0
dear fraudster:
69 IQ
Originally posted by §ound_of_§hade
You guys do know that drinking liquids has really a sparse effect on the singing voice.

I know drinking something like liquid nitrogen, or molten steel could mess up your voice just a pinch, but your vocal chords are in your larynx, and all liquids go down the pharynx, which is a diiferent cavity.

Also, you'll only be able to change the amount of phlegm in your larynx by giving yourelf histamines, and try to get a anaphylactic response, but once the vocal chords have adducted, the force of the air usually blows most of the phlegm out of the way, and only large amounts of phlegm in your larynx will change your voice, and having that much snot in your wind pipe aint exactly enjoyable.

I do know that drinking booze paralyses some of the muscles in the pharynx around the larynx, giving the body a higher threshold for vocal hypertension (makes you scream better)

I saw it all on a movie in choir once, I've taken it with a grain of salt, but it seems pretty medically sound.

Actually the reason you need to drink water is because muscles need water, and your throat is a muscle. Also the reason dairy products are bad is because of the lining it leaves on your mouth and throat.
Ember Ellusion
Jug Hunter
159 IQ
does talking a lot before you sing help as in a warm up? cause usually when i talk a lot i find myself being able to sing a lot smoothly
Restriction applies
ember, yes it does.

keep in mind that your voice is a muscle. the more you use it, the stronger it gets.
tremontifan
I Met Dream Theater!
100 IQ
I sing in a high range, and I find that i can't do it unless i sing really loud. otherwise, i go falsetto.
are you justified?
justified in taking life to save life...
Originally posted by ace_blaze:
nothing personal, im an equal opportunity asshole
IbanezRGsk8er
Yeah, and you don't stop!
14 IQ
Originally posted by kurdtlennon
alright... well the first post... first question how to get your voice louder is pretty easy... but hard to do... the trick iis in the breathing, everyones heard breathing or singing from the diaphram, but that just sounds stupid. the diaphram is actually a muscle attatched to the bottom of your lungs and when you "breath from it" all your really doing is making it pull towards the ground, which pulls your lungs and fills them with more air that just a regular breath. to breath like this though takes a little practice but after that its really easy, its just like coughing... to get the same effect and see how big of a breath it should actually be try breathing all of your air out (empty lungs) and holding it there for as long as you can... then breath in, thats what it should feel like. to do that try breathing without having your chest move at all, your upper and middle stomach should push out. that is breathing from your diaphram. then to make it even louder without screaming, put it a little more nasal than you normally would... theres all the trics to projection ive learned... hope it helps.
rock on

Just as long as you dont sound like the singer in muse on "Time is running out" when you breathe. that is so annoying.
Orophin
789 IQ
It gets on my nerves that I can't sing that high! I mean, just up into G would be better and my voice ain't that powerful.

Does singing along to your favourite songs all the time really loud help - I guess it does.
Orophin
§ound_of_§hade
UG Board King
49 IQ
When I scream for prolonged periods of time, I wind up getting a really bad headache.

I've already tried the usual to get rid of it, Heroin, Weed, Vodka and Ibuprofen (At the same time) and nothing seems to stop it

Any help?
Fin
MasterXaero
UG Newbie
404 IQ
Yup, I'm a teenage vocalist. And it sucks. I used to be able to sing really well, then recently my voice started going through its "changes." I can't go nearly as high as I used to be able to. Hopefully someone out there could answer my question: how long till this stops and when it does will I be able to sing normally or will my voice be all deep and ****?
GoodCharloteSux
3,778 IQ
it matters on the person. And it might turn ****t*... it happened to me... if u wanna be smart get a vocal coach
Originally posted by J_Dizzle
THAAAANK YOU GoodCharloteSux is god
Iam138
UG's Terrible Father
166 IQ
like biohazardous said just keep practicing and work on the scales. and it might get better or you just might have to sing deeper.
LastRockShow
Man In The Box
374 IQ
lol to get my voice to be able to go high again, i resorted to singing Backstreet Boys songs over and over for hours. NOW, i can sing about as high as Led Zeppelin & low as Nickelback. you might not be that desperate tho....=P
So we all jump around and we fall to the ground like it's the last rock show of our lives!!!
Rock'n Roll
jesus,save us
476 IQ
Originally posted by §ound_of_§hade
When I scream for prolonged periods of time, I wind up getting a really bad headache.

I've already tried the usual to get rid of it, Heroin, Weed, Vodka and Ibuprofen (At the same time) and nothing seems to stop it

Any help?

Well, here's what I do I drink lots of water and tea.Eat chips to grease up the throat.Practice 3-5 times a week for 1-2 hours aday.My vocals are vary in range from deep-Jim Morrison and high-Robert Plant.I think it's good to have range many don't have it.This is what you should do stop screaming and start singing.
MasterXaero
UG Newbie
404 IQ
well like when i get an "adult voice," will i still have trouble going high or does this only happen during puberty?
Honor-Damned
13 IQ
well, you might not be able to go as high, but atleast your balls are dropping!
Junkstuff1
Long Fingers Alex
10 IQ
You most likely won't be able to sing as high. But you'll be able to sing lower, probably. How long it lasts depends on the person. It could be anywhere between a month and a year.
Computer programmers are loopy.
- That's one of my own!
MasterXaero
UG Newbie
404 IQ
does that mean that all famous singers are rarities in terms of their voice? even average singers like brand new and green day? cause i cant go that high now but maybe its because my voice is strained from developing?
Rock'n Roll
jesus,save us
476 IQ
^it works really well for me, but it depends on your style,I guess.What kinda style do you do mines High pitch-David lee Roth, Robert Plant, Freddie Mercury, Axl Rose and Deep Pitch-Jim Morrison, Scott Weiland and Layne Staley.Oblivously it won't work for everyone I guess, but It depends on your style.What style do you do? as you see mines proably different than yours, not many do that style atleast not anymore.
PiNGPoNG-DT
Embodiment of Moccos
16 IQ
Dude...

Go to a doctor and ask to be castrated.
It'll solve your problems.

However, it may be a bit too late...
If you're desperate, just chop off your bag.
^(>(oo)<^
~Hail Piggy~
Junkstuff1
Long Fingers Alex
10 IQ
Your voice will most likely end up being deeper than your voice was before. I'm not making any comparison at all to any famous singers. I have no way to know where your voice will end up.
Computer programmers are loopy.
- That's one of my own!