Hi, I just learned this song and now I need to learn how to set my pedals right so I can get Steve Vai's tone. Here's my gear:

AMPS:
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
Orange 15CR

PEDALS:
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi (Distortion)
Electro-Harmonix Nano Small Stone (Phaser)
Electro-Harmonix Micro Q-Tron (Funk Pedal)
Electro-Harmonix #1 Echo (Delay)
Ibanez Tube Screamer (Overdrive)
Danelecteo FAB Chorus (Chorus)
Dunlop Cry Baby (Wah)
Digitech Whammy (undescribeable..)
Zvex Fuzz Factory (Fuzz)

So, any and all help to get Vai's tone on this song would be greatly appreciated.
My Albums

TALKING LIKE A JERK EXCEPT
YOU ARE AN ACTUAL JERK
AND LIVING PROOF THAT

SOMETIMES FRIENDS ARE MEAN

last.fm
tumblr
Carvin Legacy or Bogner XTC will do it for you. If anything, pick up the Ibanez Jemini.
All tone controls on the Fender at noon, then the mids and highs a bit higher (maybe 2:00 for the mids and 1:00 for the treble), use the amp on clean with the big Muff set to a nice smooth distortion, and you might even stick the TS behind it with the gain to 0 and the level maxed out for another boost. Maybe the delay with the repeats set to minimal, and incredibly short time. Basically enough to add some depth. Then use your wah through the whole thing (if you're doing the leads).
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
I love this tone, one of my favourite songs of all time, thanks for the ideas guys
Might also look into some kind of compression pedal.

Steve has a pretty compressed tone.

-edit

you can see what this guy used, and I think he pretty much nailed it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYiYao2dH0o
Quote by C O B H C
If you want to get really technical about it..

1. Grab sticks.
2. Bang sticks on drums.

^how to play drums.

UG POKER
Last edited by yellowshirtguy at Jun 21, 2009,
Quote by JackWhite333
Hi, I just learned this song and now I need to learn how to set my pedals right so I can get Steve Vai's tone. Here's my gear:

AMPS:
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
Orange 15CR

PEDALS:
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi (Distortion)
Electro-Harmonix Nano Small Stone (Phaser)
Electro-Harmonix Micro Q-Tron (Funk Pedal)
Electro-Harmonix #1 Echo (Delay)
Ibanez Tube Screamer (Overdrive)
Danelecteo FAB Chorus (Chorus)
Dunlop Cry Baby (Wah)
Digitech Whammy (undescribeable..)
Zvex Fuzz Factory (Fuzz)

So, any and all help to get Vai's tone on this song would be greatly appreciated.

with your HSS Strat, set up your gear like this:

HSS strat -> Wah -> Phaser-> Chorus -> TS -> BMpi -> Delay -> BD RI (clean channel)

use your neck pickup for alot of it, unless it sounds too thin. if tha is the case, use your bridge pup and reduce the highs on your amp. Steve has a fairly warm tone on this song. use the chorus subtly, same goes for the delay. i would set the delay for around 300ms, but with the level quiet enough that it doesn't overtake your sound. set te phaser on the slowest sweep possible, and make it very subtle, like the rest of the effects, use it to add depth.

use the BMpi as your main source of dirt if you don't like the dirty sound of your B-DLX. like other people have said, turn the gain down to 0 on the TS, and use it as a boost behind the BMpi.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Last edited by Jhachey22 at Jun 21, 2009,
he has some tutorial on youtube on his tone. Look at that. its like one of his top viewed vids.