Page 1 of 36
I went from being a metalhead who had a couple classical albums to a classical and metal listener. The two musics are really similar: like metal, classical strings together a series of riffs to tell a story.

My favorite composers are:

* Franz Schubert
* Ottorino Respighi
* Gustav Faure
* Anton Bruckner
* Camille Saint-Saens
* Ludwig van Beethoven
* Robert Schumann

All of these dudes are extremely "metal": stormy, powerful, dark and lawless music.

Some of my transition was inspired by the Talk Classical metal forum and "Classical Music for Metal Fans".

Anyone else listen to classical?
Rhoads is not classical just cuz he was learning classical guitar. Gtfo.

Dimitri Shostakovich is the closest anyone got in the classical age to "tech death".
uh yeah...classical owns...and metal owns....it's common sense yes?
Quote by dayzofdesire

Broken nose at a Skindred show and a chipped tooth at As I Lay Dying...

Quote by Capitalistklok

nice. and brutal.
I have to admit I hate classical music. It's just because I only know some of the more famous stuff and everything we listened to in our music lessons, but basically I hate it. It's just impossible to keep in time with the song or to identify things like measure and tempo. Additionaly I dont like the general opinion that classical music is "real" music and metal is just some awkward noise.

I still like the star wars theme though :/
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Reeks of morons this thread does.

"Yeah fuck yeah Classical is cool... Mozart is rad!"

Piss of from a genre that can do without your pathetic shit you worthless ****ing waste of sperm.

Anyways, I have given a lot of attention to Der Ring des Nibelungen lately.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,
I’m not ashamed to be white
Vi doede ikke... vi har aldri levd
Barbarism is the natural state of mankind
Civilization is unnatural

It is a whim of circumstance
an unenlightened one
I don't listen that often, but I absolutely love Russian classical. Shostakovich and Tchaikovsky are my two favorite composers of all time. Followed closely by Jean Sibelius. Ever wonder my we have prog and power metal? It's modern classical.

Check out Rhapsody of Fire.
Vivaldi is freakin awesome. I love his stuff. and Bach and Eccles because i'm a cellist
Quote by BlackandSilver
Kill 'em All in St Anger with the help of the Master of Puppets. He can Ride the Lightning, creating a Death Magnetic.

Myspace
Quote by VampireGoldfish
Reeks of morons this thread does.

"Yeah fuck yeah Classical is cool... Mozart is rad!"

Piss of from a genre that can do without your pathetic shit you worthless ****ing waste of sperm.

Anyways, I have given a lot of attention to Der Ring des Nibelungen lately.

VG
Quote by thorbor
I have to admit I hate classical music. It's just because I only know some of the more famous stuff and everything we listened to in our music lessons, but basically I hate it. It's just impossible to keep in time with the song or to identify things like measure and tempo. Additionaly I dont like the general opinion that classical music is "real" music and metal is just some awkward noise.

I still like the star wars theme though :/

Impossible to keep time? Just because there is a bit of recitative in some pieces doesn't mean it has no time structure at all. Click track =/= in time or rhythmic.

I have never heard that opinion about classical music and metal anywhere.

And star wars isn't classical. C'mon.

Sigh. I shouldn't feed potential trolls.
Quote by insideac
Rhoads is not classical just cuz he was learning classical guitar. Gtfo.

Dimitri Shostakovich is the closest anyone got in the classical age to "tech death".

Listening to Symphony No. 5 at the moment, amazing stuff.
My Last.fm

Quote by \Powerslave/
HelloHalo, I love you.

WHO SEND ALL THESE BABIES TO FIGHT?
Holst is awesome. IMO, Bach is the best classical composer though. All his stuff is consistantly amazing.
Quote by MoogleRancha

You sir, are a genius.

I salute you.

Quote by iwontwait
The bestowing of this thread on my life is yours. Thank you, Benjabenja.
Quote by insideac
VG

Not you.

Dummy.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
I wouldnt say I was a very knowlegeable when it comes to classical (assuming your using as an umbrella term as apose to the period of music), but I do like it when I hear it.
a few I can think of are
Beethoven
Elgar
Carlo Domeniconi
Handel
J.S.Bach
Orf
Wagner (though I need to explore his music more)
C.M. Von Weber
Widor
Doood I luv Vivaldi COB did his song and I luz Mudnight sonata and ynqwiei malmseun
Wrong forum.

Anyways, John Williams FTW.

And Vivaldi is also good, as with beethoven, bach, and mozart.

I haven't delved far into classical, as you can see
Schubert's Unfinished Symphony could easily be arranged for a metal band. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m33pGwho4-I
Quote by duncang
maybe it's because i secrely agree that tracedin inymballsackistheb best album ever

he's got the fire and the fury,
at his command
well you don't have to worry,
if you hold onto jesus' hand
michael nyman is about as classical as i get, and he's only soundtrack/contempory classical.
illustration student - happy to do any band artwork/logos
some of my work can be seen at:

theGentleSquid

I always thought post-rock had more similarities to classical music than metal. Approaching classical with a "THIS IS SO FVCKING METUUL" attitude never really worked for me.
Post rock is very far away from Classical, as is a lot of Metal.

People just try to feel important by making a comparison to Classical.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
I'm not going to pretend to be a super open-minded individual. I've hardly listened to classical outside of Bach and Wagner. Where should I go from there?
Quote by \Powerslave/
I'm not going to pretend to be a super open-minded individual. I've hardly listened to classical outside of Bach and Wagner. Where should I go from there?

The thing about most periods of Classically composed music, is that you'd be hard pressed to find someone terrible writing music. This was a time when only artist who truly had a grasp of the science of sound were producing music, and everyone had something to contribute.

Classical boils down to personal taste, so rather then write down a huge list of composers for you, I just recommend going to Wiki Classical and start listening to anything and everything.

Science of sound indeed.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
VG is now my favourite UG user, well not really. But he has further impressed upon me the level of intelligence and level headedness that I already knew of. So much so that he does not care at all about what I have just written.

And I am very disappointed in the lack of Mahler in this forum. He would easily have to be my favourite composer ever of any genre. I honesty recommend his Fifth Symphony, Kindertotenlieder (songs for the death of children) and Das Klagende Lied for brutal heart wrenching music.

He can also be very easily described in metal terms as my (very uncompleted) arrangement of the second movement of his fifth symphony on GP will show:

Note that the only thing I have added to this is drums, everything else is as Mahler wrote (obviously not the orchestration, but yeah)

I'd also strongly recommend Rachmaninov and Stravinsky.
Attachments:
Sturmish.zip
Last edited by LucasGtrGod at Jun 25, 2009,
I need to listen to more Mahler, but I love the music of his contemporary Richard Strauss. His tone poems are brilliant, Also Sprach Zarathustra is phenomenal. I feel Strauss was definitely one of, if not the most, important late Romantic composer.

At the moment I'm listening to a lot of Charles Ives (particularly Concord Sonata), and I'm amazed by the Impressionists Debussy and Ravel - their music is something else. Particularly Debussy's piano preludes and a lot of Ravel's chamber music.
Richard Wagner is a complete Genius
That **** is heavy
Originally Posted by neopowell
I'm perfectly capable of rating my own poo, I don't need a website to help me. I've devised strict criteria based on texture, smell, ease of passing and numerous other factors. It's even colour-coded.

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by BR00TAL
I need to listen to more Mahler, but I love the music of his contemporary Richard Strauss. His tone poems are brilliant, Also Sprach Zarathustra is phenomenal. I feel Strauss was definitely one of, if not the most, important late Romantic composer.

At the moment I'm listening to a lot of Charles Ives (particularly Concord Sonata), and I'm amazed by the Impressionists Debussy and Ravel - their music is something else. Particularly Debussy's piano preludes and a lot of Ravel's chamber music.

Yeah Strauss is good also, but I find a lot of his work to be more of a work for the mind rather than the heart.

Like it is completely innovative and working with new forms of tonality, but it doesn't necessarily grip you emotionally, but rather makes your brain go, "Oh My God, THAT'S AMAZING!". Like a lot of prog metal actually, lol.

EDIT: One thing that I love when going back and delving into classical music is to see how much modern (film score/game score) composers actually stole from earlier artists. Specifically John Williams: Star Wars theme was almost a direct rip from the end of the second movement of Mahler's 5th Symphony, much of his work on Star Wars was also influenced heavily by Stravinsky, The Jaws theme also has strong parallels with Stravinsky's, Rite of Spring. And many others.

Plus the numerous numerous times Holst's Mars The Bringer of War theme has been ripped off by everyone.
Last edited by LucasGtrGod at Jun 25, 2009,
Someone mentioned Mahler?

My favorite Mahler peice would be this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wH_v9niFoVc

Mahler's sixth in A minor.

The powerful intro always gives me the chills. I'm seriously considering ripping it off for a song I've been working on
Last edited by Guitarmike123 at Jun 25, 2009,
I don't know too much classical, I need to get more into it, but Chopin all up in this motherfucker.

Also, whatever the shit that Bach organ piece is, I think it's a fugue, that has that insanely gr1m main theme.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Last edited by whalepudding at Jun 25, 2009,
Quote by whalepudding
I don't know too much classical, I need to get more into it, but Chopin all up in this motherfucker.

Also, whatever the shit that Bach organ piece is, I think it's a fugue, that has that insanely gr1m main theme.

Not this?
Quote by duncang
maybe it's because i secrely agree that tracedin inymballsackistheb best album ever

he's got the fire and the fury,
at his command
well you don't have to worry,
if you hold onto jesus' hand