Page 3 of 36
Quote by LucasGtrGod
why wouldn't Rachmaninoff count as classical?

He is firmly positioned within 20th century Romantic composers, which last time I checked was classical.

I was being a stickler and saying Romantic =/= Classical, although in the umbrella term, it is

Just separating periods

EDIT: Wrong Toccata and Fugue, but that's still damn metal and I want to learn it with a friend of mine doing the second voice on guitar, and we need a bass player...
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Last edited by Shinozoku at Jun 29, 2009,
D'oh!

Touché
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by insideac
Shoenberg sucks

Let's not say silly things now. Whether you like his music or not, he is an incredibly important figure in the development of music.

And for anyone that thinks he merely composed expressionist/serialist music, they need to check out Verklarte Nacht (Transfigured Night). It is one of my favourite chamber pieces (originally written for sextet) and it's just stunning, and very dark - a piece in the Late Romantic style that more often that not foreshadows future atonality:

Verklarte Nacht

If anyone wants to listen to some real disturbing, twisted modern classical music, then krysztof Penderecki is your man. If you just want to hear things get ridiculous, listen to the composers of so called 'New Complexity'.
Last edited by BR00TAL at Jun 29, 2009,
Haha, I must say New Complexity is ... interesting, kind of like serialism, but taken even further.

The one thing I don't understand though is why no one within the movement had the thought to actually implement some form of melody, or motif into their compositions.

I don't know about anybody else, but I think that would make them a little more emotionally evocative rather than simply brain stimulating.
Can you all recommend me any more classical? From what little I've heard, I like the darker stuff... [Chopin, Wagner's darker stuff, although I could use recs for them too]
Dude, pretty much anything rec'd over the last few pages is going to be dark (coming from metal fans).

I'd say check out everything mentioned so far, find out what you like, and then come back again, so that we can narrow that question down a little.

So far from me download:
Gustav Mahler's Fifth Symphony
Sergei Rachmaninoff's First Symphony
Franz Schubert's Unfinished Symphony
Dmitri Shostakovish's 12th Symphony
Mendellsohn's Violin Concerto in E minor
Igor Stravinsky's The Rite of Spring (Sacre Du Printemps)
Gustav Holst's The Planets
Peter Ilyich Tchaikovsky's Romeo and Juliet - Fantasy Overture
Wagner's Die Wulkure.
Can someone reccomend me some 'dark' classical I can use in some drama pieces, Im doing Artuadian adaptations of the play Metamorphosis
Quote by Wretched_Spawn
Can someone reccomend me some 'dark' classical I can use in some drama pieces, Im doing Artuadian adaptations of the play Metamorphosis

Dude...Read the page before this. Everything I rec'd is dark.
Quote by severed-metal
Prokofiev.

Chances are you might have checked him out. His stuff is fairly dark, great stuff.

He wrote Dance of the Knights, which Necrophagist used on Only Ash Remains.
I like his work.
Follow the smoke toward the riff filled land
brutal
I thought the Prokofiev tune in Only Ash Remains was from Montagues and Capulets.

And Wretched Spawn I made a list two posts before yours, or less. Check those out.
Last edited by LucasGtrGod at Jun 29, 2009,
While I'm pretty stereotypical with my average classical listening (Beethoven, Vivaldi, Mozart, etc.) I do fancy myself some Rachmaninoff.

Man was a machine.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
I understand that not too many people have mentioned Mozart because his music generally isn't "dark" and this is the metal forum, but he is absolutely essential for classical music. When I listen to Mozart, I feel that his music couldn't possible be composed any other way because each note connects to the other perfectly. He's not my favorite composer because he doesn't evoke as much emotion as some, but still amazing.

I'll have a bourbon.
Your point with the metal forum? I see no issue. Seeing as how at least 10 other classical composers have been mentioned. Mozart's great, yes.

Typically, you'd rec someone something dark, if they asked for something dark

Bach also drives me wild.
Yes, but if you do want to hear dark Mozart, try out his Requiem in D minor, beautiful, beautiful music.
I would actually agree with that, most people in metal like to say they like classical music just to appear more "learned" than other metal heads...

But, I must ask, what has struck you as being "pseudo" in our interest?

Do you honestly believe that just because we listen to metal that we cannot have an interest in classical music beyond "pseudo"?
Last edited by LucasGtrGod at Jun 30, 2009,
Quote by insideac
Shoenberg sucks. Was your post directed at me? Classical here is used to engulf the genre as a whole, be it Romantic, Contemporary, Baroque, Renaissance, whatever.

There is no 'genre'.
Ok. So classical doesnt exist as a genre of music. Theres musicians who make pop, rock, blues, R&B, but not classical, because thats not a genre.
Quote by insideac

Dimitri Shostakovich is the closest anyone got in the classical age to "tech death".

Classical age? Nope, Shostakovich was composing in the mid 20th Century. Regardless, he was a fantastic composer, and he wrote such storming music.

FREDIT:

I'll explore this thread properly soon, because I need to pick up more names of composers and symphonies. My dad has a hugh knowledge of classical music, and I'm absorbed a lot in the last 16 years, but I still can't recall names unfortunately.

On the whole debate about comparing Metal to Classical music; in many ways the two genres are very far apart, especially as Metal is an evolution of Rock, but Metal does posess some similarities.

The darkness in Metal music is quite akin to the darkness and atmosphere of many Classical pieces, some of the melodies, progressions and scales used by many Metal guitarists recall that of many classical composers. And the overall aggression and power of metal music, coupled with that darkness, is reminiscent of composers like Mussorgsky, Wagner, Verdi and Vivaldi to a certain extent.

I don't say this as a means of justifying my taste in music, trying to make a loud and angry genre seem sophisticated by comparing it with the old yardstick of "proper" music. I just see some similarities, not at all in structure, or time patterns or arrangements, but in atmosphere, certain melodies and progressions.

Also, a fair few of you are mentioning Bach's Tocotta and Fugue, well here's Jacques Loussier doing a jazz version of it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xng_QbhHGY
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
Last edited by freddaahh at Jun 30, 2009,
Quote by LucasGtrGod
Do you honestly believe that just because we listen to metal that we cannot have an interest in classical music beyond "pseudo"?

Listening to classical only makes a person a better musician or better able to appreciate music.

Warning: it can drive you away from jazz, rock, and blues. But not metal.
Quote by LucasGtrGod

I'm sure a lot of 'metal heads' have a genuine interest in classical. However, I'll bet my left testicle that the majority pretend to like classical music because somehow it gives them more credibility and makes them look more intelligent. Apparently to a lot of 'metal heads' claiming to be well versed in classical music is some kind of prerogative. This thread is really quite amusing when you can see through all the acts.
Shadilay.
Quote by morbid_death
I'm sure a lot of 'metal heads' have a genuine interest in classical. However, I'll bet my left testicle that the majority pretend to like classical music because somehow it gives them more credibility and makes them look more intelligent. Apparently to a lot of 'metal heads' claiming to be well versed in classical music is some kind of prerogative. This thread is really quite amusing when you can see through all the acts.

Nail, head, etc. This thread is gonna turn fun.....
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
Quote by Conservationist
Listening to classical only makes a person a better musician or better able to appreciate music.

Not necessarily, it depends on how you approach it. But simply listening to classical will not cause you to appreciate music anymore than someone that listens to jazz, rock, or even pop. It's about how it affects and effects you.

Quote by morbid_death

While there are many whom seem to be walking in and just going, "yeah I just listen to Bach, Mozart or whatever, but see I am open minded, I am. That's why I am the uber mensch..." I feel that I must respond to you in the fashion that I responded to Conservationist: not necessarily.

And why exactly do you put metal heads in apostrophes when you refer to them as genuinely liking classical. Do you actually feel that either of those genre's, or any genres are, in fact, mutually exclusive?

I'm not attacking, just interested.

Quote by Stranglehold

Nail, head, etc. This thread is gonna turn fun.....

And I never started caring in what you have said.
Quote by Conservationist

Only if you're an idiot.
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
Quote by LucasGtrGod
Not necessarily, it depends on how you approach it. But simply listening to classical will not cause you to appreciate music anymore than someone that listens to jazz, rock, or even pop. It's about how it affects and effects you.

While there are many whom seem to be walking in and just going, "yeah I just listen to Bach, Mozart or whatever, but see I am open minded, I am. That's why I am the uber mensch..." I feel that I must respond to you in the fashion that I responded to Conservationist: not necessarily.

And why exactly do you put metal heads in apostrophes when you refer to them as genuinely liking classical. Do you actually feel that either of those genre's, or any genres are, in fact, mutually exclusive?

I'm not attacking, just interested.

And I never started caring in what you have said.

Damn, so were not friends? Am I not in a complex enough time signature for you then?
Quote by Ultraussie

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
Quote by webbtje
What this is doing in this forum still escapes me.

I had the same gripe with the Diablo Swing whatever you call them thread.
Quote by Ultraussie

Quote by Ingested
Quote by duncang
Only if you're an idiot.

Exactly, I mean ffs
I’m not the man I used to be, I... I can’t go back to Arkham.

I... I should return to Arkham.

Among the churchyard’s mouldering stones I recognise a name – my own.
I have come home to Arkham.

Quote by Stranglehold
Damn, so were not friends? Am I not in a complex enough time signature for you then?

You never could be...
I have a lot of time for Berlioz cause he pretty much invented the concept album. (Symphony Fantastique!)

check it out, its got like a massive story running through it, it's pretty deep... except the last part, thats just stupid, the last bits called the witches dance or something, and its just about him being in hell or something, and witches being like "lol, u got served!!!"
Check out my band! The Afterparty on Facebook
Quote by duncang
Only if you're an idiot.

Blues, rock, jazz, etc. just sound so simple in comparison to structured compositions, kind of like how it's hard to spend too much time listening to Cradle of Filth after you've heard Burzum.

But I've never liked rock music.
Quote by Conservationist
Blues, rock, jazz, etc. just sound so simple in comparison to structured compositions, kind of like how it's hard to spend too much time listening to Cradle of Filth after you've heard Burzum.

But that's only detrimental to your enjoyment of it if you're an idiot.
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
Quote by Conservationist

Oh, c'mon, are you telling me that Blues, Rock, and Jazz are all more simply structured than say, Von? Most Von songs go: Riff 1 - Solo over Riff 1 - Riff 1 - end of song. That's part of what makes them great, but surely you can't call that a very intricately structured song? Granted, there are a few with a couple riffs, such as Chalice of Blood and Veadtuck, but you get what I'm saying. I'm sure you listen to stuff that's more simply structured than Cradle of Filth, believe me, CoF suck for many reasons besides simple structure.
Quote by dminishedthingy
It didn't seem possible, but apparently Messiah can spam even more now.

Quote by \Powerslave/
I can see it now. "Dark Thrones and Black People".

Quote by \Powerslave/
I pretty much wank something small and sleek.

ololololololol

JOIN THE NEKROGESTAPO!
Quote by Conservationist

I enjoy simple music and classical. Ta-dah!
I just like music, anything except country, (blues gets a bit repetitive, but blues songs with more than 3 chords are almost bareable.)
Check out my band! The Afterparty on Facebook