I’m not ashamed to be white
Vi doede ikke... vi har aldri levd
Barbarism is the natural state of mankind
Civilization is unnatural

It is a whim of circumstance
an unenlightened one
Quote by VampireGoldfish
I like music that sucks
Apparently, so do I (Static-X, Marilyn Manson, hair metal of any variety [ even the bands including George Lynch and Paul Gilbert ], some metalcore, Linkin Park's first 3 albums, and Children of Bodom [ WTF?])
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
mozart is dope. although it is hard to transpose(is that the word?) his music tho.
Classical Guitarist
Quote by webbtje
I enjoy simple music and classical. Ta-dah!

+1

Quote by Zep_shizzle
mozart is dope. although it is hard to transpose(is that the word?) his music tho.

I think the word you are looking for is transcribe.
Last edited by LucasGtrGod at Jul 3, 2009,
Quote by LucasGtrGod

And why exactly do you put metal heads in apostrophes when you refer to them as genuinely liking classical.

Because 'metal heads' make me lol irl.
Shadilay.
Quote by morbid_death
Because 'metal heads' make me lol irl.

Haha, true.

And what does irl mean?
I love the little fugue in G minor and so should everyone else
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Hmm, this brings me to a question...

What exactly is a Fugue I have read numerous explanations, but at times my brain has trouble comprehending some things.
I've just ambled upstairs with an armful of classical CDs, which I've liberated from my dad's collection. Unfortunately, most of his classical music is on vinyl, and I've still not got a working record player yet.

Here's what I found appealing from his collection:
Schubert - Moments Musicaux, played by Jeno Jandó on piano. (Listening now, lovely).
Brahms - Violin Concerto and Sonata No.1.
Beethoven - Symphonies 5 and 8.
Beethoven - Quartets Vol.4
Beethoven - Piano Sonatas Vol.2.
Jacques Loussier Trio - Play Bach, jazz renditions of Bach pieces.
Dvorák - New World Symphony and Carnival Overture
Bach - Preludes and Fugues
Chopin - Complete Preludes
Chopin - Nocturnes
Rachmaninoff plays Rachmaninoff

Any thoughts, or recommendations based upon this?
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
Last edited by freddaahh at Jul 4, 2009,
If you like Beethoven's 5 and 8th Symphonies you'll probably like his 9th symphony "choral".

For Schubert try his 8th "unfinished" symphony.

Rachmaninov's First Symphony is a good one.

Brahms' 4th Symphony is also a good'un.

Just as with my other recommendations I must really infer anybody to listen to Symphony No. 5 by Gustav Mahler.

Also I just bought Shostakovich's 8th Symphony performed by the Adelaide Symphony Orchestra. Also great.
I was looking at the 9th Symphony earlier, I may pop back and get it.

I made a point of asking my dad about the Unfinished Symphony, and he doesn't have it on CD unfortunately. Neither did he have a copy of Albinoni's Adagio on CD, the bastard vinyl collector.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
Thank you very much. This opening track by Mahler is storming. Haha, that's in the title too. It sounds wonderfully German too. I feel like marching around in Jackboots.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
can't get enough mahler. really can't. great mix.
Ibanez RG 550 (1989, MIJ)
--Peavey 5150--
Custom DIY 2x12
Peavey Bandit II
Ibanez AD 220 Analog Rack Delay
MXR Flanger (not the reissue)
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss NS-2
Dunlop 95q Wah (broken)
Heavily Modded Strat
Quote by LucasGtrGod
Hmm, this brings me to a question...

What exactly is a Fugue I have read numerous explanations, but at times my brain has trouble comprehending some things.

If I recall, it's supposed to be a piece centered around one repeating melodic hook. Let's go to the ever reliable wikipedia, shall we?

"In music, a fugue (pronounced /ˈfjuːɡ/) is a type of contrapuntal composition or technique of composition for a fixed number of parts, normally referred to as "voices".[1] In the Middle Ages, the term was widely used to denote any works in canonic style; by the Renaissance, it had come to denote specifically imitative works.[2] Since the 17th century[3], the term fugue has described what is commonly regarded as the most fully developed procedure of imitative counterpoint. A fugue opens with one main theme, the subject, which then sounds successively in each voice in imitation; when each voice has entered, the exposition is complete; this is occasionally followed by a connecting passage, or episode, developed from previously heard material; further "entries" of the subject then are heard in related keys. Episodes (if applicable) and entries are usually alternated until the "final entry" of the subject, by which point the music has returned to the opening key, or tonic, which is often followed by closing material, the coda.[1][4] In this sense, fugue is a style of composition, rather than fixed structure. Though there are certain established practices, in writing the exposition for example,[5] composers approach the style with varying degrees of freedom and individuality."

What's interesting, is that the Black Metal keyboard thing on my profile was describe as sounding somewhat like a fugue from a friend.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
While we are on the subject of Classical and the like, anyone a fan of the genius that is Moondog?
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
It would be too damn hard to pick a favorite of his. That guy was made to make music. Would have loved to meet him, its not everyday that a musical genius walks around new York homeless wearing a Viking suit while constructing his own instruments.

On The Streets of New York is absolutely delightful.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
Moondog, will check him out now.

A recommended album by him?

Also VG I never thanked you for putting me onto Multiplex.
Last edited by LucasGtrGod at Jul 5, 2009,
I saw that in the theatre a few years ago, it was spectacular.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
well, recently i found out the beauty of classical music ! i love bach, beethoven and debussy. and i do love metal as well, so..
Quote by Franzypants
Gorgeous. She was it.

Last edited by .milu. at Jul 5, 2009,
Quote by VampireGoldfish
It would be too damn hard to pick a favorite of his. That guy was made to make music. Would have loved to meet him, its not everyday that a musical genius walks around new York homeless wearing a Viking suit while constructing his own instruments.

On The Streets of New York is absolutely delightful.

Dear God, this man sounds like the coolest person to have ever existed!!!

I listen to Western Art music occasionally (Tim from NeO said that's a better term), and I absolutely love what I've heard, although I am not as well versed as I'd like to be, I'll have to go on a binge one of these days. Check out Villa Lobos, he's awesome.

Here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tp14jQae1ZI

I have a better version on CD, I'll try and upload it another time.

Quote by LucasGtrGod
VG is now my favourite UG user, well not really. But he has further impressed upon me the level of intelligence and level headedness that I already knew of. So much so that he does not care at all about what I have just written.

And I am very disappointed in the lack of Mahler in this forum. He would easily have to be my favourite composer ever of any genre. I honesty recommend his Fifth Symphony, Kindertotenlieder (songs for the death of children) and Das Klagende Lied for brutal heart wrenching music.

He can also be very easily described in metal terms as my (very uncompleted) arrangement of the second movement of his fifth symphony on GP will show:

Note that the only thing I have added to this is drums, everything else is as Mahler wrote (obviously not the orchestration, but yeah)

I'd also strongly recommend Rachmaninov and Stravinsky.

I'll definitely check this symphonies out.

You all should check out Grieg too, lots of people use his themes.

Does anyone know any good sites for "obtaining" Classical?
Quote by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 1: Viking helmets did not have horn.
Viking fact no. 2: Vikings tobogganed on their shields into battle.
Viking fact no. 3: Vikings drank mead.
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
Last edited by The Virtuoso at Jul 5, 2009,
Quote by webbtje
Anaal Nathrakh, yay!

So classical music is basically like Dimmu but crap, yeah?

Quote by LucasGtrGod

Pretty sure he's just fucking around.

On another note:
Mahler's 8th 'Symphony of a Thousand'.
Possibly the greatest finale I've heard. I really would love to work with an orchestra/choir combination that big, it's amazing. Very powerful piece.
Ka pu te ruha ka hao te rangatahi.
Francisco Tárrega. My barber plays nothing but classical guitar and got me into this guy. I don't know much classical, but this guy's songs are on a whole other level.
Quote by rancidryan
Do they come with heroin because I heard thats the only reason Dave Mustaine used them

"The power of the riff compels me"
Bury Me In Smoke
Quote by Conservationist
I agree, especially his "Bachianas Brasileiras"

Definitely, that aria is quite possibly one of the most beautiful pieces of music I've heard thus far.
Quote by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGYQtNAHbX4

Just thought I'd mention Purcell as well for all of you Clockwork Orange fans out there, he's an early Baroque composer I believe.

There are more parts to this in case you're wondering, I could post the others later if anyone is interested, or is just too lazy to find the others.
Quote by Senor Kristian
Nobody ever wants to talk about classical anymore. Where have you all been? I've yet to check out Mahler, I can't find a file for the complete symphonies that Lucas mentioned.
Quote by Senor Kristian
I've been listening to Muse a lot lately (not metal, I know), and they use a lot of progressions that sound like classical music. How do they do this? What is the theory behind it?
Quote by david_safc
I've been listening to Muse a lot lately (not metal, I know), and they use a lot of progressions that sound like classical music. How do they do this? What is the theory behind it?

Well, one thing I do know is that Matt's piano solo in Butterflies and Hurricanes is his own version of Rachmaninov's piano Prelude Number 5 in G Minor.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
Quote by david_safc

Love Muse, almost certain that Matt was trained as a classical pianist, and I think he's been playing since he was five could be wrong though; his favourite pianist is Rachmaninoff and he loves the Romantic period, so that would explain his "classical" progressions, but as far as theory, I couldn't tell you exactly what he's doing, maybe, but I'm sure someone else could explain it better.
Quote by Senor Kristian