Poll: You ever had a rock off?
Poll Options
View poll results: You ever had a rock off?
No, never.
44 44%
Yes, and I won.
17 17%
Yes, and I lost.
2 2%
Yes, many losses and many wins.
6 6%
No joke option this time.
30 30%
Voters: 99.
Page 1 of 2
Most people I know haven't and it troubles me.

One of my friends who's been playing for like 5 months said he was better then me (playing for 5-6 years), and I just kept trying to ignore him, and finally he said 'we'll have a rock-off then'.. Big mistake by him, but the rules of rock-offing indicate you CANNOT BACK DOWN, so I didn't. He played some generic metal riff (I think it was metallica, not sure), easy, in drop d of course.. I won, put it that way.

Anyways he told me it was his first rock-off, and I said the first of many, and the conversation revolving around rock-offs and it turns out I was the only one who had one before.

The hell is this?

THE HELL

IS

THIS?
yeah, between me and my friend who used to be the lead guitarist for my church band. He played amazing grace, I played The Seduction by He Is Legend

and so people dont think Im a tool, he wanted to do it.
love is love // return to dust
Quote by Captain Insano
Oh, I'm sorry the rest of us aren't twelve, and don't compare dick sizes anymore.

Im 18 and it's not "I'm better then you" it's just friendly sport. It's like playing a game of basketball or something, or are you too old for any competition at all? stupid dick.
My friend and I of around equal skill had a friendly one. We declared it a tie.
He's a freak of nature, but we love him so.

Quote by John Frusciante
Music isn't the Olympics. It's not about showing other people what you can do with a piece of wood in your hands that has strings on, it's about making sounds that are good.
Quote by Dog--
Im 18 and it's not "I'm better then you" it's just friendly sport. It's like playing a game of basketball or something, or are you too old for any competition at all? stupid dick.

Oh ok. If it's in a friendly nature then it is acceptable. But otherwise...
Quote by Captain Insano
Oh, I'm sorry the rest of us aren't twelve, and don't compare dick sizes anymore.

12 inc... wait... oh...
Add me or I will eat your kitty!

^Click the heart baby, you know you wanna.^

Quote by Sammythedruggie

touche sir.
he is now your rival. every few gyms youre going to run into him, and he'll have more powerful riffs than you. his riffs will have a type advantage over you, and some of them will be the type that take a trade to evolve.

also, he'll hurt your feelings with his words.
I have no opinion on this matter.
Me and the other guitarist in my band Blake did once when we were just screwing around at practice. We didnt take it seriously though Just random solos pretending we could shred.

Then the 3rd guitarist came over and ruined our fun.
Quote by Captain Insano

hey man, i compare dick sizes with twelve year olds all the time! its a great ego boost, and i get a huge swelling of pride.
Quote by Zugunruhe
he is now your rival. every few gyms youre going to run into him, and he'll have more powerful riffs than you. his riffs will have a type advantage over you, and some of them will be the type that take a trade to evolve.

also, he'll hurt your feelings with his words.

Quote by Zugunruhe
for some reason this post makes me suspect theres something horribly wrong with you.

not that thats a bad thing...

...dont kill me.
Quote by Captain Insano

its called competition? as far as im concerned thats not limited to 12 year olds
Geets:
Ibanez GSA60
Epiphone SG/LP custom
Schecter Damien elite 7
Fender Highway one Telecaster

Pedals:
Visual sound Jekyll and Hyde

Amp:
Peavey 6505
Marshall M412a cab
Peavey Classic 50

GO STEELERS!
Yes. Against a person who had been playing for 30 years longer than me. I held my own for about 5 minutes though!
Quote by Captain Insano
Oh ok. If it's in a friendly nature then it is acceptable. But otherwise...

Sorry for the insult, I thought you'd defend your post to the death, you know one of those people..

But I do have to disagree with you about it just begin friendly.. If someone is making fun of you saying you suck and are being giant dicks to you, then what better way to play better then them to shut them up? If you just go up to some 10 year old in a music store and shred at him then leave, well.. That's not acceptable.
Yeah I've had a rockoff or two, but it wasn't like a "Hey I challenge your rock-honor upon the field at dawn!" It was more of a "hey man let's make rock together!" *Solos are traded*
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
I had one once...

Satan got another soul that day....
Quote by TunerAddict,mdawg24
+Infinity

Listen to ExtremeMetalFTW, he knows what he is talking about...

Quote by vmanoman
I clicked System Restore and it said "System Restore Is Unable To Protect You".

^^SO KVLT!!
lmao win^

EDIT: the megadeth pic was above me when i posted that
Quote by powerhead
It's just an easy way to shift blame as always. If Slipknot caused people to get murdered, then spoons caused Rosie O'Donnell to get fat.

MY LISTಠ_ಠ
--(Matt)--
cmalm04
dwmacfar2
Me and a bassist buddy sometimes do it as a joke and shred really repetitive lame yngwie style licks while laughing the whole time. But to be honest anyone who does a serious 'rock off' should learn to not take themselves so seriously.
Quote by Dog--

No, I think music is better then sport and doesn't degrade itself to competition. Music doesn't need competition. One person can play 3 chords and another could shred like crazy. Doesn't mean one is better, its just a different style.
I think it's a stupid idea. I can't even give reasons why. The whole concept of two guys getting together and trying to outplay each other just emanates stupidity.
i did because this guy bet my friend $100 that he could stomp my ass. Well, he lost, but, he didnt pay my friend because he said that them shaking hands didnt count. I was pissed because I was supposed to get half. The cool thing was that the gym teacher put class off the day we did the duel. It was cool.

*When you shake hands on a deal, a deals a fuc*in deal.
Gear:
PRS Tremonti
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper 1000
Fender Telecaster
B.C. Rich Warlock
Epiphone Goth SG
Randall RD200
Line 6 Spider IV 150
We had a guitar comp. at church. I won and got teh secks
In diesem Herz hab ich die Macht.

Gear:
Fender MIM HSS Strat (Wine Red)
VOX Valvetronix VT20+
Kay K390 Acoustic
Quote by ieatu

Good lord, I hate that man..
Today I feel electric grey
I hope tomorrow, neon black
Quote by metaldud536

youre just jealous i got the first pokemon reference.
The whole concept of this is retarded. I hate how some people treat music as a competition.

Quote by Ssargentslayer
No, I think music is better then sport and doesn't degrade itself to competition. Music doesn't need competition. One person can play 3 chords and another could shred like crazy. Doesn't mean one is better, its just a different style.

Good guy.
I personally like the concept of a rock off. It's no more "evil" than, say, comparing who is the best B-baller. Music can be a sport AND an art at the same time, people, be a little open minded.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
Quote by Nite_Marez
lmao win^

EDIT: the megadeth pic was above me when i posted that

I agree. I took it down after I saw that the guy was doing it for fun rather than coolness.
Quote by Dog--

One of my friends who's been playing for like 5 months said he was better then me (playing for 5-6 years), and I just kept trying to ignore him, and finally he said 'we'll have a rock-off then'.. Big mistake by him, but the rules of rock-offing indicate you CANNOT BACK DOWN, so I didn't. He played some generic metal riff (I think it was metallica, not sure), easy, in drop d of course.. I won, put it that way.

Anyways he told me it was his first rock-off, and I said the first of many, and the conversation revolving around rock-offs and it turns out I was the only one who had one before.

The hell is this?

THE HELL

IS

THIS?

Quote by Satan

This two guy that have been playing for like 5-6 years said they were better than me (playing for more tahn 2000 years), and I just kept trying to ignore them, and finally they said 'we'll have a rock-off then'.. Big mistake by them, but the rules of rock-offing indicate you CANNOT BACK DOWN, so I didn't. they played some generic acoustic song (I think it was improvised, not sure), easy, in E standard of course.. I'm one horn short now, put it that way.

Anyways they told me it was their first rock-off, and I said the first of many, and the conversation revolving around rock-offs and it turns out I was the only one who had one before.

This the hell?

THIS.

IS.

HELL

don't worry, I'll be back

This is how I read it.
No muerde, no calla
Sin sangre no hay arte
Nada ni nadie
De nada más

Quote by Ganoosh
Good lord, I hate that man..

He beat satan though, that's why I think he's kewl.
Quote by Dog--
Sorry for the insult, I thought you'd defend your post to the death, you know one of those people..

But I do have to disagree with you about it just begin friendly.. If someone is making fun of you saying you suck and are being giant dicks to you, then what better way to play better then them to shut them up? If you just go up to some 10 year old in a music store and shred at him then leave, well.. That's not acceptable.

ahahhaha Shred at him. That was awesome.
Epiphone Les Paul (Modded with 2 passive pickups and an EMG81)
Yamaha RG guitar w/ Floyd Rose
Rogue Acoustic

BlackHeart BH5 Tube Amp

Danelectro Metal. Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech CF-7, Crybaby Wah, Danelectro EQ.
Quote by Zugunruhe
hey man, i compare dick sizes with twelve year olds all the time! its a great ego boost, and i get a huge swelling of pride.

that swelling isn't pride...
Page 1 of 2