Hey guys, my question is basically in the title. How can I write lyrics like Maiden and COF? Where can i get my drive to do it? How to do it. SO pretty much like how do I write decent lyrics that make sense about the dark/satanism/demons/religion/ghosts/spirits ect.?
RIP Terje (Valfar) Bakken
Just write. Write anything to start off. It doesn't have to be dark and satanical, but you just want to improve your writing skills. The better of a writer you are, the better you will be able to figure out how to convey those dark emotions like that. So just write. Also, listen to some of your favorite songs by them and read the lyrics. Analyze some of the subject matter, figure out what it's all about. It's very easy when writing in this genre to fall into cliched topics though, so be careful of that.

Good luck.
Today I feel electric grey
I hope tomorrow, neon black
Develop a bit of a back story behind each lyric. I can't really tell you "how" to get inspired, however that is basically the best way. If you read COF's lyrics, you will notice they are all little stories in some way. That is probably one reason you enjoy their lyrics (like I do). They are generally well written and very moving.

Another tip I would recommend is looking through the dictionary and writing down 3 columns (Adjectives, Nouns, and Verbs). Any word that looks interesting and that you may want to use write down until you feel you have enough. Then, proceed to start writing with that word bank. Some of my better poems have come from that method.
Check out Hear the Indie for music reviews, interviews, and more.

Want a review? Send me a PM or email through the contact form on my site.
A lot of Maiden's lyrics are inspired by literature and history. So, if you read a book or are interested in a historical event, write about it! It doesn't even have to be a well-known book or event. It's your song.
Seattle Seahawks

Quote by chookiecookie
i feel like you have an obsession with aubrey plaza.

Quote by WCPhils
at least we can all agree SGstriker is the woooooooooooooooooooooorst