What style of music do you play?
'64 Fender Telecaster
'08 Epiphone Prophecy EM-2
'06 Epiphone Les Paul-100
'08 Squier Strat Mini
'03 Ibanez AEG10
'90 Yamaha FG730S
'31 Kay Archkraft
Im a fan of Gibson so i would recomend it, but you need to play multiple ones. Maybe youll find something better!!
Plus, whats your price range and style of music?
Well, for me, if you're going to get a Gibson Les Paul, it better be a legitimate Gibson Les Paul.

Getting a studio LP is kinda just... getting a LP just to say you have an LP.
Signature
I think you should wait untill you have enough and get a LP Standard
Quote by Rush_fan2112
i want to walk down the streets of a very large, populized city (one like toronto, or new york) wearing a wonder woman costume and eating a stick of butter

Quote by figsandbobo
I can eat a 16" no problem.
Quote by Aeroblast
Well, for me, if you're going to get a Gibson Les Paul, it better be a legitimate Gibson Les Paul.

Getting a studio LP is kinda just... getting a LP just to say you have an LP.

Why do people say that? A Les Paul Studio is different from a Les Paul Standard or Traditional. It's not meant to be the same. Some people prefer studios over the other ones. It's the same as how Epiphones are different from Gibsons. Hawthorne Heights and My Chemical Romance play Epis because they have a darker tone since they only use maple veneers instead of tops. What it comes down to is what you like.
Quote by xbouncer927
check out my band for what styles of music i play

its the gibson les paul studio swamp ash
i dont like the standards

You should look at the new Les Paul Traditional Pro, IMO it sounds much better and is more versatile than a studio.
Do you play lead or rhythm? I find that the mahogany would be better for rhythm but the ash would be better for lead because it stands out more. It will be brighter and punchier. I listened to your music and it sounds like both of you play Gibsons. I would personally go with something completely different to contrast the other guitarist. Both guitars sound very similar. Neither stand out from one another. If you're thinking about ash, I would look into the Ibanez FR1620. It's about the same price but it may be best to change the pickups. I can't say for sure because I haven't played it but the neck is great for lead playing.
http://www.ibanez.com/ElectricGuitars/model-FR1620

Edit: It looks like your other guitarist plays a Les Paul, I would definitely get something other than a Gibson.
Last edited by JELIFISH19 at Jun 25, 2009,
Quote by xbouncer927
well my original question was should i keep my sg or get the lp?

they'll both get the job done so which one do you prefer? i mean we can break it down into the specs of it all and how the thickness of the SG just may not get you the balls that LP has but honestly that just requires too much effort and they're very similar (if i'm not mistaken) with regards to specs but just the body shape and neck and upper fret access are different as well as weight
Keep the SG or get something completely different. I listened to your song and the guitars are virtually indistinguishable. The ash will be brighter and punchier but it will still sound like a Gibson because of the scale length. If you're playing lead, look into a guitar that has a 25.5" scale. It will be brighter and snappier which will make you stand out more in the mix.