When playing something fast, sometimes one hand just falls behind, or another skips ahead to fast.
I can't really play "fast". My maximum comfortable speed is the Minor Pentatonic in 16th notes at 76bpm (Slow, I know, but I've only played for a few months) and a random shred thing at around the same speed.
Sometimes when playing at full speed, without a metrenome, my hands just unsync.
Like im going all out on the pentatonic scale, then all of a sudden im picking notes on the 2nd string, whereas my hand is still on the 4th, or the other way around.
Is this normal when playing past your comfortable limit?
Im not actually playing it wrong, my hands are just playing different parts of it at the same time.
Last edited by GoldfishMoon at Jun 25, 2009,
Quote by GoldfishMoon
Is this normal when playing past your comfortable limit?

Yeah, it is. But the more you play, you're comfortable limit will get faster and faster.
Banging on a trash can
Drumming on a street light
Quote by tenfold
Yes it's normal.
You probably hear it a lot but it has to stick sometime - practice practice practice.
Go slow, be very accurate, do speed bursts in between. Practice the things you're weakest at.

don't do speed bursts in practising, just very slowly increase the tempo, 1bpm at a time if you can. speed bursts just encourages sloppiness

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
Just so I dont have to make another topic, does anyone have any reccomendations for a laid-back, not to difficult acoustic song to learn?
Some Alice in Chains stuff?
Quote by metallicafan616
don't do speed bursts in practising, just very slowly increase the tempo, 1bpm at a time if you can. speed bursts just encourages sloppiness

Whats wrong with speed bursts? Just to see how your practice has improved your speed?
Nothing is wrong with speed bursts.
For some people, it breaks a mental barrier that your mind makes, for others it just doesn't work. Try it out, see if it works, but know that speed bursts don't encourage sloppiness (metallicafan616 you just don't know how to use them wisely).
TS, of course you can only play slowly, you've barely started playing. It takes years to develop the accuracy and control required to play "fast" so don't sweat it. However, be aware that if you're hands aren't in sync then you are playing something wrong, there's no two ways about it. Keeping your hands in sync is the most important thing, there's no point in having both hands "able" to play something if they can't do it together. If that is the case then you're never going to get things sychronised by continuing to try and play faster than you're able to, slow back down to the speed where you can keep everything together and look to gradually develop from there. Bear in mind that it's not a given that you'll be able to play everything you want to play in a realistic time frame, Paul Gilbert didn't consider himself to be "fast" for 5 years. Patience and discipline are what's required if you want to get good.

The worst thing you can do is start treating the metronome as some kind of yardstick for measuring your ability. It's not a speedometer, and fasst doesn't equate to good anyway. Just focus on playing accurately and economically, your speed will improve as the factors that govern it improve.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com