okay. im Australian and have a budget of $1100AUD. i have a 40 watt Randall solid state amp. please dont recommend me a new amp though as my current guitar is literally unbearably **** ($250 start copy stagg starter guitar) and i will not buy a new amp no matter what you say.

so what guitar should i get? i play a lot of metal. metallica, iron maiden, parkway drive, BFMV, killswitch, as i lay dying and other bands like that. but i also play songs which aren't heavy metal, but not regularly so versatility isn't a MUST but of course, if its and option, why wouldn't i have it?

i would like the following:
- 24 frets
- jumbo or bigger
- No Floyd Roses!!
- nice stock pickups (some EMG's or some nice Seymore Duncans)
- i would PREFER some cool inlays. dots are boring
- preferably a HH pickup config. as long as there are 2 humbuckers.
- ive only had one electric so i dont really know if im better suited to a certain neck thickness. doesn't really bother me.
- no extreme shapes. and i dont like SG shape. im a strat or les paul man. preferably strat
- and i would like it to look nice as well

remember, its $1100 AUD.

i think that's all for the moment. thx in advance

:::NEW BUDGET::: $1700AUD
Last edited by wildozer at Jun 26, 2009,
I'm thinking of an Ibanez RG fixed bridge, or a Schecter C-1 or mayb even a PRS SE model.
yeah, atm im looking into ESP and Ibanez. that LB isnt bad. the 24 frets isnt really a must so ill look into it. but i would MUCH prefer it. i was saving up for a schecter hellraiser c-1 up until today when i realised i didnt need to spend $1700 on a guitar that only cost that much because it had some cool features that i probably wouldn't notice or never use and because it was overpriced imo (they arent easy to find in Australia and makes schecters expensive).

so yeah, i guess i dont really want a schecter as they are overpriced in australia.
@ BoL7z.

i dont like those stock pickups, and a purple guitar isnt me. but thx anyway.
Quote by wildozer
yeah, atm im looking into ESP and Ibanez. that LB isnt bad. the 24 frets isnt really a must so ill look into it. but i would MUCH prefer it. i was saving up for a schecter hellraiser c-1 up until today when i realised i didnt need to spend $1700 on a guitar that only cost that much because it had some cool features that i probably wouldn't notice or never use and because it was overpriced imo (they arent easy to find in Australia and makes schecters expensive).

so yeah, i guess i dont really want a schecter as they are overpriced in australia.

Damn, thats a shame, C-1s are quite good from what I hear........

Anyways, You could also look into the iceman series, RG fixed bridge series, or even SA series if you dont mind a vintage whammy bar.

LTDs are not bad as well, try the EC-1000s, Viper-1000s and the H-1001s series.

From PRS, you can look into The SE single-cut model.

I've also know some epiphone prophecy models out there that look pretty cool, but never tried them and dont know much bout them.
okay. so what brands should i look into besides ESP, Jackson and Ibanez? ESP are easy to get for me as the place i learn deals them.
Quote by BoL7z
http://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/eg_page09.php?area_id=2&data_id=745&color=CL01&year=2009&cat_id=1&series_id=223

Maybe? I played one a few weeks ago, they're only about 700ish-800ish AUD,

However i played a red one, might be a earlier model but i loved it, the neck was nice and thin (wizard II) and it just felt like a solid guitar

+1 to this guitar. Ibanez RGR421EXFM, I've got one, bought it for $500 AUD and it exceeds my $1000 Jackson DK2M in almost all areas, it's fixed bridge with mahogany body and maple neck, just an all round solid guitar. The pups are really smooth on it. A lot of people who play the Ibanez V8 & V7 pups will tell you theyr crap, they are in basswood bodied RG's (too bright) but they have a nice tone on mahogany ones.

And yeh, the red paintjob is discontinued I think, it's the same guitar now, just blue.
Jackson DK2M
Washburn WD-18SW
Ibanez RGR421EXFM
Genz Benz El Diablo 100w -> Framus Dragon 412
Boss GE-7
Ibanez TS-9
Last edited by James13v at Jun 25, 2009,
****! ive been looking at guitars for ages now. its so bloody hard to choose one! every one i look at is either out of my price range or has something about it that i just dont like. it might be the look of it, or it might have string lock.3

you see, im 14 and pretty good. im far better than what my starter electric offers. ive had it for a few years and its just screwed up now. it needs new tuning keys but its not even worth the money to replace them on the piece of crap. i want to get a job and save up longer and get the schecter hellraiser c-1 as it has everything i want! good pickups, non-dot inlays. looks sexy and has a fixed bridge. but then i dont want to save because my guitar really is unbearable and i have $1100 atm and i figured im always going to want a better guitar so why drop so much cash on my second one?
Quote by LedFender
this has 22 frets but whatever

Why would you say that? That's like $1,500USD and in Australian that's $1,880 and will be at a much higher price. His budget is $1100AUD
You don't have to spend all the cash. Go used.. high end LTD etc.

ibanez RG321, 24 jumbo frets. With the saved money you can throw in some really nice pickups and improve it further.

Personally I'd keep saving for a bit longer and get an ESP for the music youre into. You'll hate using the guitar you have now but it's better to wait than buy something that might not meet your standards later.
Gear
Good Guitars
Good Pedals
Good Amps

That is all.
ibanez rga42fm is pretty much around your ball park figure however it comes with stock ibby pickups which aren't all to great.
yeah. i was looking around at ESP and stuff a fair bit last night. i think i will have to save until i have about $1700 before i can get a guitar which is perfect for me. atm, the schecter hellraiser c1 is what im aiming for, its $1700AUD.

if anyone else can recommend something better for the price, please do.

NEW BUDGET: $1700AUD
$1700 just to spend on a guitar.

after i get the guitar im going to save for a nice tube amp. but first i have to get a job before i can get either. so far i have got $1100 for the guitar. i just need $600 more.
From your specs, I instantly thought of Ibanez. I think the Ibanez RGT6EXFX is great for you. It fits all your specs, and I think it's within your budget. If not I'd suggest saving a bit. Ibanez seems reluctant to show their prices on their site.
@1nSingularity

thanks for the recommendation. that guitar is around the $1500 mark i think. the arrangemtn i have is a $1600-1700 budget as i have already got $1100 and my parents are willing to but some money in if i get it for my birthday.

anyway, that guitar is good but i dont like the inlays on it at all and the schecter hellraiser c1 is just a better guitar overall.

thx anyway.
what do you guys think of this idea? pick a guitar for like $900-$1000 which i think looks good and has everything but the pickups, then just swap them out for some EMG's?

i would just get like a nice ibanez that has its own active pick ups, then just buy some EMG's.

will this idea work? also, is it important that guitar's stock pickups are active so that i can easily put some EMG's in?
Quote by wildozer
what do you guys think of this idea? pick a guitar for like $900-$1000 which i think looks good and has everything but the pickups, then just swap them out for some EMG's?

i would just get like a nice ibanez that has its own active pick ups, then just buy some EMG's.

will this idea work? also, is it important that guitar's stock pickups are active so that i can easily put some EMG's in?

Why do you want EMG's? Without a good amp you will be dissapointed by them, if you must tho I would recommend SD Blackouts over EMG's.

EDIT: Yes, that idea will work, not completely necissary, but it will work.
Jackson DK2M
Washburn WD-18SW
Ibanez RGR421EXFM
Genz Benz El Diablo 100w -> Framus Dragon 412
Boss GE-7
Ibanez TS-9
Last edited by James13v at Jun 27, 2009,
i understand how the pickups wont be all that special through my amp. but im getting a new guitar because my current one is absolute bullocks and so ive figured why not get some nice pups for when i do get a good amp (not saying mine is bad, i like it. but then again ive never played through a tube amp).

and i don't think i will go with that pickup change idea. correct me if im wrong, but i would need to choose a guitar that has the right knobs and then change the pots and stuff like that. so ill just go with the easy option and pick a guitar that already has them. the schecter hellraiser c1 probably.
@Jonas.

its too extreme for me. im 14 and would look like an idiot with a V imo. and i often sit down when i play.
Quote by wildozer
@Jonas.

its too extreme for me. im 14 and would look like an idiot with a V imo. and i often sit down when i play.

I'm curious as how it would make you look like an idiot. Nevertheless, the LTD eclipses might work well.
My vote is for the ESP Eclipses. I played one in GC yesterday and it was amazing. Even the lower end ones (EC-401) still played like butter!
Ibanez RGT42DX
Vox AC30C2
Digitech Whammy (FOR SALE!)
Dunlop GCB-95F Crybaby
Boss DD-20
Boss SD-1
Ibanez TS9DX
MXR M-108 10 Band EQ
Quote by Shikari4
I'm curious as how it would make you look like an idiot. Nevertheless, the LTD eclipses might work well.
yeah

if you dont like the alexi v style

the eclipses are great!
the LTD eclipses (EC-401 and EC-401FM in particular) are $1800AUD+ and the heallraisere c1 is only $1600 and imo better. so i think i will go for the schecter over the LTD.
LTD EC-401 Olympic White RRP$1,899.00 Sell $1,329
LTD EC-401 Flame Maple See-thru Black RRP$2,099.00 Sell $1,459
LTD EC-401 Black RRP$1,899.00 Sell $1,329

LTD Deluxe EC-1000 See-thru Black Cherry RRP$2,499.00 Sell $1,749
LTD Deluxe EC-1000 Trans Blue RRP$2,499.00 Sell $1,749

Bmusic are having a sale and those are the prices and i do believe they come with a free guitar rig mobile but you have to check with them. If you want more details head over to their forums and look at their announcements.
cool. id prefer not to buy online. but if the deal is there i might consider it.