Is it normal for the sustain of the low strings last 10x longer than the high strings? I mean, it would make sense that the thicker the string, the longer it will vibrate, but the high strings have nowhere near the same amount of sustain as the low ones. Let's just say, 30 seconds compared to 3 seconds on high E and low e strings.
I've noticed that too. I thought it might be because you can hear most of the overtones (right word?) on the low strings, but on the high strings, some of them are higher than human hearing range. Your explanation sounds right, too. I'm probably completely wrong, though.
well 3 seconds is really a bit short =P
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
You're pickups may be too close to your treble strings if there's that big of a difference.
Quote by Lube716
Is it normal for the sustain of the low strings last 10x longer than the high strings? I mean, it would make sense that the thicker the string, the longer it will vibrate, but the high strings have nowhere near the same amount of sustain as the low ones. Let's just say, 30 seconds compared to 3 seconds on high E and low e strings.

Let's talk physics...It's harder for the magnetic field of the magnets to stop the low strings from vibrating than just stop the high ones because of their size...Their small mass makes changing their kinetics energy easier than the energy of the low ones...Now i'm not sure cuz that's what came to my mind when i read your post...(makes sense to me)

Cheers and sorry fo rmy english
Quote by bulldozerbob
I think someone stole my Yu-Hi-Oh cards from my class draw when I was little.

Quote by Led Pepplin
I'm homophobic. I can't stand gays.
Yeah, that was pretty much the only thing that made sense to me. And yes, 3 seconds is a bit short, so lets say 5-6 =P