I've been itching for a telecaster really badly but I can't find a good affordable one around my area, so I was considering buying a squire. Not the affinity because I hear those are , but a standard. I was just wondering how much of a difference it really makes.
:Gear:
Fender Telecaster blackout Deluxev
Epiphone G-400
Ibanez Ar300 (currently not working)
Vox AD65VT
Roland Cube 30
I've only ever played 1 squire, it was a Strat and it sucked arse lol. And I've not heard much good word about them. I'd say just try them. And have you considered making a custom? You can get parts pretty cheap, then all you gotta do is chuck them together.
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
The Squier Classic Vibe 50's Tele is actually very, very good. Comfortable neck (after a bit of sanding to take off some of the sticky clear coat it would be a dream), good build quality, and it SOUNDS fantastic. Better (IMO) than a Fender MIM Standard.

Plus it has that sexy 50's blackguard vibe
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
In my opinion there isn't really too much of a difference between the main brand and the 'underbrand'. Yes, there will be a difference to either someone who is very seasoned in hearing tone, or in the fact that there is a certain quality threshold between the cheaper option and the real deal. If it's a first guitar or you just want to pick one up for the heck of it, the standard would be fine. I actually played one yesterday in the store and at had a great feel to it.
I had a Squire Stagemaster strat once that I long to reclaim... The pickups were crap, but the body, neck and trem were quite formidable! The affinity versions of any squire are CRAP! But the standards are not bad. Good body, usable neck and hardware, but the necks are not great usually.
Honestly, use evilbay and find a used American or Mexican Tele. The American is better, but the mexican will be quite useful as well.

EDIT: If you wanna make a bad ass tele, get an ash body and a maple FENDER tele neck off Ebay, and some new FENDER pickups from Musiciansfriend.com, that'll be a bit of cost, but it'll give you that Telecaster tone!
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
Last edited by ValoRhoads at Jun 25, 2009,
Quote by Natrone
The Squier Classic Vibe 50's Tele is actually very, very good. Comfortable neck (after a bit of sanding to take off some of the sticky clear coat it would be a dream), good build quality, and it SOUNDS fantastic. Better (IMO) than a Fender MIM Standard.

Plus it has that sexy 50's blackguard vibe

+1

pretentious small text, right justified signature
UG's professional coffee nerd
also UG's musical theatre nerd
roscoe's wetsuit
Well what do you guys recommend, should I just get a MIM tele used for around 3 to 4 hundred or would the classic vibe be better? Is it a better guitar, where can I get one, and whats cheaper? Also about making my own tele, Is it dificult I have no experience in modding guitars or assembling them, is it expensive, wheres the best place to get parts?
:Gear:
Fender Telecaster blackout Deluxev
Epiphone G-400
Ibanez Ar300 (currently not working)
Vox AD65VT
Roland Cube 30
Even in the same series, not every guitar is the same. Sometime you can find diamond among sand. It's rare, but it happens. The key is to go to try and feel them first.
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R