Hi all,

I've been looking to replace the humbuckers in my old Samick Les Paul clone- i've bought one EMG SEHG, which i'm told is a "neck pickup"- but another source tells me that it does not matter which position you use the pickup. So my question is this: are pickups made exclusively for use in only one position (ie neck or bridge) or can any humbucker be placed in either position? If i swapped the 2 humbuckers currently in my guitar (ie shift the pickup currently in the neck position to the bridge position and vice versa), would there be a considerable tone difference?

Thanks
Last edited by Karma_Police36 at Jun 25, 2009,
Quote by Karma_Police36
Hi all,

I've been looking to replace the humbuckers in my old Samick Les Paul clone- i've bought one EMG SEHG, which i'm told is a "neck pickup"- but another source tells me that it does not matter which position you use the pickup. So my question is this: are pickups made exclusively for use in only one position (ie neck or bridge) or can any humbucker be placed in either position? If i swapped the 2 humbuckers currently in my guitar (ie shift the pickup currently in the neck position to the bridge position and vice versa), would there be a considerable tone difference?

Thanks

technically there is not set position a pickup can be put in, if you want a really hot sound in the neck pickup go ahead and put something high in treble up top, though you probably wouldnt. see, things get brighter towards the back pickup, and warmer, cleaner towards the front. so yeah, you'd like to match pickups according to the positions, but that isn't always the case because there are some wacky pickup combinations that i've seen/heard.

basically yeah, match pickups according to what position you want them in, usually the brands website have a chart for tone, decide what sounds good to you.
Member #40 of the Steve Irwin Memorial Club, pm Clincher09 to join.
Bridge pickups are usually brighter and have more output...that's probably the only difference.
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
about the only ones i know of that are position specific are telecaster sets.