alright lads,

I'm going to London to see Pearl Jam in August. Just wondering what would be the best airport to fly to? As in which is closest to the arena and is easiest to get there from and the likes? Also where is a good area to stay? I'm gonna be flying in on the evening of the concert, and leaving the next morning, so I don't need to be in the most active area or anything

Cheers
depends where you are flying from, the closest/easiest to get to the O2 from is London City Airport (just across the river) but thats poor if your coming from the states for example... Altho most London airports have good transport links to greenwich tbh
City Airports the closest but its mainly for local flights, your best bets heathrow, then a long tube journey.

Edit - Irish!? go to City Airport
My Gear

Fender Deluxe Players Stratocaster
Marshall DSL 50 with 1960A
gatwick is ur best bet, because london city, is a very small airport, gatwick is about 45 minutes train not 50, and is the second biggest airport in the uk, and will tend to have as many flights as heathrow comming in, i live in horley, a 2 minutes, literally 120 second, train journey from gatwick, and spend alot of time there, and travel to london alot, i went to the 02 only a week ago to see the bodyworlds exibit and it took an hour to get there from gatwick, including the walk from the tube station to the 02

if i dont get a "this" or a "this guy knows what hes talking about" to sig imma kill you.
Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage.
Quote by bananahammock
gatwick is ur best bet, because london city, is a very small airport, gatwick is about 45 minutes train not 50, and is the second biggest airport in the uk, and will tend to have as many flights as heathrow comming in, i live in horley, a 2 minutes, literally 120 second, train journey from gatwick, and spend alot of time there, and travel to london alot, i went to the 02 only a week ago to see the bodyworlds exibit and it took an hour to get there from gatwick, including the walk from the tube station to the 02

if i dont get a "this" or a "this guy knows what hes talking about" to sig imma kill you.

Not this
Quote by bananahammock

This guy ain't got a clue. Seriously, go and look at the location of London City and the Dome and you'll see just how close they are - use google earth or google maps.

EDIT: And the fact it's a small airport is good, not bad.
Last edited by LordBishek at Jun 25, 2009,
I can't give you any advice on airports, but I'll give you an e-cookie for getting to see Pearl Jam live, you lucky bugger.
My setup:

Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Epiphone Les Paul Negative
VOX Valvetronix VT-30
Fulltone OCD
Boss FZ-5
Quote by LankeyDwarf
I can't give you any advice on airports, but I'll give you an e-cookie for getting to see Pearl Jam live, you lucky bugger.

Ha cheers man! Yeah I've wanted to see them for 12 years, but have always managed to miss them, the chance to see them in London popped up and so I said HELL YEAH! London city looks like a bit of an unrealistic option, flights there will cost me about €150, whereas those to Heathrow nad Gatwick will set me back less than half of that. Anyhow, thanks for all the replies guys, oh and just to be nice.....

Quote by bananahammock

all hail bananahammock, his flight recommendations are second to none!

...sig away my good man
told ya london city would be a **** idea, i do know my **** because i fly in and out of the uk 5 times a year. usually from gatwick, gatwick is ur best bet, ive worked, there, i live near it, and i went from gatwick to the 02 only a week ago

lord bishek ur a twat. lol and TS went ahead and proved u wrong, smaller airports have less flights, often wont have any flights incomming form where u need on teh day u need, so ud have to come ealier and pay hotel aswell. and is more expensive, gatwick is ur best bet by far mate.

LOLOLOLOL i love it when i win, bichek u condescending bastard.
Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage.
Quote by bananahammock
gatwick is about 45 minutes train not 50

I must admit, that bit of nitpicking made me lol.

However...

City would be the best, as it's literally the other side of the river. Although there aren't many flights there and the ones that it has are probably quite pricey.

Failing that, you'd probably be better using Stansted - seeing as it has an abundance of dirt cheap flights.

It'd probably the same sort of travel time (train from Stansted) as it would be on the tube from Heathrow or the train from Gatwick.

It's also significantly less busy than those two, so you are less likely to explode in a fit of rage because of 'other people'

Edit:
Quote by bananahammock
gatwick is ur best bet, because london city, is a very small airport, gatwick is about 45 minutes train not 50, and is the second biggest airport in the uk, and will tend to have as many flights as heathrow comming in

In that case he'd be better using Heathrow, surely? Seeing as its actually in London.
Last edited by urbanfox at Jun 25, 2009,
Gatwick airport would be a terrible choice. Go with Heathrow or city. City is probably better if you can find a cheap direct flight, the only thing gatwick IS good for is budget airlines.

Oh and I live a 5 min drive from Heathrow and fly out of the country several times a year as well, if we are making this some kind of contest?

lol at second post.
Quote by LordBishek

EDIT: And the fact it's a small airport is good, not bad.

+1 for small airfields, less hassle. I used to have to fly to Dubbo (NSW Australia) to this little airport which was owned by the council. You walked down the steps and it was probably 50 metres walk through the terminal building and out the other side. Baggage claim was in the carpark, so you could throw your bags straight in the car as you walked out the terminal. If I had someone on time to pick me up, we'd be driving out the gate within two minutes of the flight landing.
Quote by The devil at the crossroads
E|-------------------------------------------1--
B|-----------------------------------1--4--
G|-------------------------1-3-4--
D|------------------1-3----
A|--------1-2-3----
E|-1-4-----

Just move it around the fretboard
Quote by Cosimo_Zaretti
+1 for small airfields, less hassle.

Well, it depends...

Coventry Airport, for example.

The council wouldn't let them build a terminal, so the 'terminal' was just a couple of portacabins. The 'departure lounge' was about the same size as my living room.

Huge airports are horrible though, somewhere in the middle is ideal. Birmingham ftw

Also:
I've actually flown planes on many occasions, so I > all of you
Quote by bananahammock
told ya london city would be a **** idea, i do know my **** because i fly in and out of the uk 5 times a year. usually from gatwick, gatwick is ur best bet, ive worked, there, i live near it, and i went from gatwick to the 02 only a week ago

lord bishek ur a twat. lol and TS went ahead and proved u wrong, smaller airports have less flights, often wont have any flights incomming form where u need on teh day u need, so ud have to come ealier and pay hotel aswell. and is more expensive, gatwick is ur best bet by far mate.

LOLOLOLOL i love it when i win, bichek u condescending bastard.

Clearly you know your airports better than me - good on you. Still, it's a shame you didn't include that reasoning in your post - all it told us was that you know Gatwick intimately and that it had good transport links with London. That still doesn't change the fact that City is across the river from the dome, whilst Gatwick is technically not even in the same city, well linked as it is. Yes, it's more expensive, I know, and if I'd have known how much more, I'd have recommended another airport, same as you. I was pointing out that service is usually better at smaller airports since they have less pax in and out.

I apologise if I came off condescending, that wasn't my intention. Still, it's nice to see you accepted your victory so gracefully without obnoxious name-calling.

Quote by urbanfox
Well, it depends...

Coventry Airport, for example.

The council wouldn't let them build a terminal, so the 'terminal' was just a couple of portacabins. The 'departure lounge' was about the same size as my living room.

Huge airports are horrible though, somewhere in the middle is ideal. Birmingham ftw

Also:
I've actually flown planes on many occasions, so I > all of you

But London City isn't a bunch of Portakabins - it's advanced enough to have it's own ILS approach and handles regional jet traffic, so I reckon the terminals probably nice enough.

Oh Yeah, and I build planes, so
Last edited by LordBishek at Jun 25, 2009,
Quote by LordBishek

But London City isn't a bunch of Portakabins - it's advanced enough to have it's own ILS approach and handles regional jet traffic, so I reckon the terminals probably nice enough.

Oh Yeah, and I build planes, so

City is a nice airport (looks decent from when I've been past it anyway), I was just making a point about not all small airports being better

It's also got the steeper approach at the one end because of Canary Wharf and such - that could be fun...

If I was any good at interviews, I would be a trainee air traffic controller now :-/