Page 1 of 2
Who came up with it, to use for shredding? I think i heard that it's used in jazz (at a slower tempo I guess) but who started using it for shred first? Or jazz I guess as well.
Les Paul possibly.

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
A s far as I know Uli Jon Roth was the first guy to use it in a shred context.
Up The Boro!
Probably les paul.
Oh, you wouldn't want an angel watching over
Surprise, surprise, they wouldn't wanna watch
Are you sure, I guess that the "rake" idea of arpgeggios must have been around for a while. But it must have been someone like Van Halen who first used it for shredding
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
rip dime
R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio. Supplied amazing music to both me and my mother.

He will be missed.
the main riff and solo in the rainbow song 'kill the king' feature sweeping at a relatively fast tempo, it's pretty old.
I think it was Jesus. Really underated player. People tend to focus on his Dad more than him though.
Um, sweeping has been around for a LONG time, its used a lot in classical guitar, and other more traditional forms of music,(Greek, Turkish, etc).
Quote by turtlewax
Are you sure, I guess that the "rake" idea of arpgeggios must have been around for a while. But it must have been someone like Van Halen who first used it for shredding

Except Steve Hackett used it before Van Halen for solos in Genesis.
Quote by Chrisiphone
Oh wow this is a guitar forum!
Quote by JacobTheMe

Karvid is sexy

Quote by KAS1981
Why is it that some folks quote praise from other members in their sig lines?
Its lame.
Quote by aaciseric
I think it was Jesus. Really underated player. People tend to focus on his Dad more than him though.

particularly the jews
Geets:
Ibanez GSA60
Epiphone SG/LP custom
Schecter Damien elite 7
Fender Highway one Telecaster

Pedals:
Visual sound Jekyll and Hyde

Amp:
Peavey 6505
Marshall M412a cab
Peavey Classic 50

GO STEELERS!
Quote by turtlewax

Interestingly enough, a bunch of people have said that EVH also invented the two-handed tapping, except Dolly Parton was doing it thirty years earlier.
Herman Li, he's the only guy in the world who can do it properly!!!!!!!1111!11!!1111oneone1one

Seriously though, Les Paul, probably.
hello
Hendrix was doing it before van halen as well (2 handed tapping)
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Quote by turtlewax
Hendrix was doing it before van halen as well (2 handed tapping)

Yes, he was. So...FFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU Eddie Van Halen!!!!!!
Quote by turtlewax

Van Halen can sweep
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
Van Halen can sweep

Depends how much he's had to drink.
My Musical attempts

My youtube music channel

Quote by TOMMYB22
Dammit, beaten to it, and by someone with the same name

CURSE YOU TOMMYT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by daeqwon10000
I hate tommyt and the high horse which he rides upon
Les Paul was the first to introduce it widely into music and guitar circles. Others were doing it before, but it was Les Paul that introduced it to the world.
Quote by Vornik
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to put it, along with your other advice, into a book, the pages of which I will then use to wipe my ass.
Quote by Oddsbodkins
A s far as I know Uli Jon Roth was the first guy to use it in a shred context.

That's what I thought. I think there's sweeping in Sails of Charon, which was YEARS before any YJM stuff came out.

But yeah, probably Les Paul.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I know he wasn't the first, but Al Di Meola is an example of someone who uses them outside of the metal realm.
1st ever MOD challenge winner
Rush Club Member #5
Member of the Frank Zappa Fan Club. PM deadhead313313 to join
Member #4 of The Geddy Lee Fan Club
Member #21 of the Steve Irwin Memorial Club, pm Clincher09 to join
Quote by larrytheguitar
rip dime

lol. Just throwing that in there.
Quote by Malakian88
Oh my bloody god. Imagine if you were a girl and you woke up to find your little brother's friend standing over you with his erect penis on your breasts...

Indeed.
Quote by Kumanji
My goodness, Django Reinhardt managed to sweep with two fingers in the 30s and 40s...

This, I always thought Django was the one who started the technique
Blog Of Awesome UGers.
Quote by OddOneOut
I seem to attract girls.
Which is annoying, cos I'm a girl and I like cock.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Being an idiot should be illegal too.
The first person I can think of who used the modern sweep picking technique as an extensive part of his playing was Grant Green. I think he predated Les Paul but I'm not sure.

Charlie Christian may have used it occasionaly but not enough for it to really stand out.

And modern players of gypsy jazz make a point to differentiate between sweep picking and what Django did. It was more of a rake technique.

But no matter which of those it actually was, it almost definately was developed by early jazzers.
probably doesn't
dude, playing quick arpeggios has been around for ages on all sorts of instruments in all kinds of cultures. It's impossible to say who did it first.
What's sweep picking?
My setup:

Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Epiphone Les Paul Negative
VOX Valvetronix VT-30
Fulltone OCD
Boss FZ-5
I always thought it was Les Paul but Django actually sounds right.
Now who does it the cleanest... that's a hard question.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Page 1 of 2