I'm looking at purchasing my first acoustic guitar and after researching on the internet, i popped down to a local store where they had a reasonable selection of predominantly Freshman guitars. These seem like really good guitars and have had many good reviews!

This is the cheapest freshman they had, the FA1DBK:

http://www.freshmanguitars.co.uk/fa1dbk.asp

RRP of 169.99 but was in the shop at 140.00. The next models i've forgotten but were being sold at 170.00

Firstly i would appreciate your opinions on the guitar itself and then i have one further question.

Upon showing me the guitar we both noticed that there was a tiny indent/ mark on the top, and he immediately told me he could reduce the price to just over 100.00 !
Despite this indent/mark when i played the guitar (only strummed the strings a bit as i havent learnt properly yet) it sounded really good quality !

Should i take the offer of the reduced price as there is no obvious sound impediment ?
you should take someone who does play when you get your first,
or,
being internet savvy just check out reviews, my first was the best reviewed starter pack on amazon.co.uk - a yamaha f310.
best thing i could of done!
Have you looked in any pawn shops? That's where I got my acoustic. It was priced at $190 but they immediately brought it down to $140(included a case and nice capo). I figured I had already got a good deal, but I looked it up on Fender's website and imagine my surprise to find out my guitar was at least 19 years old and worth a minimum of $325!!!!
So, it might be a good idea to go to a local pawn shop and get some numbers from the guitar(price, serial number, number/letters inside the body) and do some research on them. I realized I would have got a great deal at $190 anyways!
And a few marks isn't bad, mine had sticky candy on it that came off on a shirt after playing for a few minutes. I managed to get it off without messing up the guitar.
So do your research and just make the best decision you can. Hope this helped and happy hunting.
"I prefer the concept of abstract music."

"What would you do for [insert desire]?"
"Eat a Klondike Bar!"
-The Klondike Bar paradox
my first was an epiphone pr150. i only paid 100 for it and i'm still playing it 4 years later. decent sounding guitar
Check out the ibanez ijv50 accoustic starter pack at guitar center.
it just for $100, cheapest acoustic guitar i could find online manufactured by one of the elite's of guitar manufacturers.

i bought it and am extremely happy with it.

the pack will include a dreadnought guitar, 5 0.60mm picks,an electronic tuner, strap, gig bag and some spare parts like a bridge and pin.
my advise is this, if ur really and truly are interested in leaning to play take the time and save.Buy a guitar that is good quality, and pay the exta money. Because down the road if u buy a $200 u will not be satisfied with it, once u learn to play a bit. Plus cheaper guitars are usually harder on the fingers. Note this is if ur planning to buy an accoustic. another point is don't buy cheap strings, u wud not by a expensive sterio and then by cheap speakers. I use Elixer 11 gauge, they are expensive, but last 3 to 5 times a set that cost $10 or so. Plus they sound great, and they have a nanoweb over them to protect the string against dirt and sweat, hence the long life. hope this info was useful. Oh I play a Martin D28, yahama CPX15W, and I just bought the Fender Sonoran. This fender is not bad for the buck, but the action is high, so I lowered it and I play it over a Roland ACC 60 amp. it sounds great and now has a great action.
for a first acoustic guitar, look around for used stuff, and take a look at the "Guitars under $300?!?" thread, there's some real good ones in there. If you can find something in the "under $300" thread used, that would probably be your best bet.

If you do buy a used one, make sure it's setup decently and the strings aren't major old. If the strings are major old...you'll need to change them.
Quote by obeythepenguin
You win this thread. Pipe organs FTW.

Quote by ShadesOfGray
Let's take it one step further and add a slogan:

Big Bach is listening you!