malaysia_mari
474 IQ
its about 8-9 degrees here. and i heard people tell me if the weather is cold, it could **** your guitar because it will contract a few things. is this true?
TomD03
(B)asshole
1,665 IQ
Long exposure to extreme temperatures, hot or cold, can have a negative effect on your instrument. It can warp, crack or expand the wood depending on which extreme it's exposed to. Mostly it's direct exposure to these conditions that screws with the guitar (bass) and its neck/body (more often neck). If you're transporting it and it's in sub-zero weather, make sure you take it out of the vehicle you're travelling in when you reach your destination, because if you leave it in there it's almost surely ****ed. If you're walking have a good, insulated case.
1st ever MOD challenge winner
Rush Club Member #5
Member of the Frank Zappa Fan Club. PM deadhead313313 to join
Member #4 of The Geddy Lee Fan Club
Member #21 of the Steve Irwin Memorial Club, pm Clincher09 to join
capslockisnton
Barmed
120 IQ
also, what's the humidity like in your area?
-
-
--
---
-----
--------
-------------
Yay fibonacci!
tubatom868686
Banned
458 IQ
Climate change will affect your instrument. The greater the change, the more serious the affect. This can mean rise and falls in both temp and humidity.
TANKER69
TANKER69
129 IQ
if you go from one temperature to the opposite it will knock you out of tune
BASS GEAR:
Fender Bassman 250 2x10
Squier MB-5
Tanglewood Premier TW155 acoustic bass

GUITAR GEAR:
Ibanez ART300
Fender GDC-200SCE
Peavey studio chorus 70

PEDALS:
Ibanez SM-7
Ibanez PH-7
DOD Bass Chorus
John Swift
899 IQ
I spent three months in Cyprus last summer and then returned to the UK, no adverse effects whatsoever to either of the Basses (Stingray5/G7L L2500).
The myth is as big as the one about the 60s drug scene.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
telecastrmastr
now in colour!
785 IQ
Quote by John Swift
I spent three months in Cyprus last summer and then returned to the UK, no adverse effects whatsoever to either of the Basses (Stingray5/G7L L2500).
The myth is as big as the one about the 60s drug scene.

but in the 60s....there...were...
I rock so hard I turned the stairway to Heaven into an escalator.
thefitz
I Hate Naming Instruments
2,922 IQ
When the weather gets humid, the wood expands and necks straighten, meaning you need to loosen your truss rod. When weather gets dry, the wood contracts and necks bow, meaning you need to tighten the truss rod. Typically people associate humid with hot and dry with cold but that is not always the case.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
malaysia_mari
474 IQ
its not really humid here... its just freakin cold. but i just play in my room, so i was wondering whether cold weather can have an effect indoors?
patticake
Acoustic Goddess
2,885 IQ
i seriously doubt it's as cold in your room as it is outside

Quote by malaysia_mari
its not really humid here... its just freakin cold. but i just play in my room, so i was wondering whether cold weather can have an effect indoors?
John Swift
899 IQ
Unless the instrument is at the lower end of the market and is therefore made from Unseasoned Timber it is unlikely to be affected too much due to the seasnining making the wood stable.
Extreme conditions will eventualy affect any instrument but this would be over quite some period of time
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
toyboxmonster
lost in other worlds
340 IQ
Just get it a nice warm scarf and make it some chicken soup once in a while and it'll be fine.
wouldyakindly
Rather Well Spoken
472 IQ
I doubt this should do any damage in the short term, so just keep it somewhere relatively warm. However, cold weather will probably effect your playing ability somewhat, as your fingers are inevitably more stiff.
"I hope I die before I get old"-Words of Pete Townsend, 1945-

"I hope I die before I turn into Pete Townsend"-Words of Kurt Cobain, 1967-1994

Funny old world eh.
thefitz
I Hate Naming Instruments
2,922 IQ
Quote by malaysia_mari

No, only the relative humidity of the atmosphere makes a difference.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..