Hey guys,

I've been playing acoustics for quite a while now and I really want to get my feet wet with a good electric guitar. I have a cheap squier strat that I've been practicing with (borrowed from a friend that bought a beginner's kit and never used it). Now I'm ready to go out and buy one.

For starters, I'm not quite sure I like the neck of the strat. It seems alittle thin. I've been looking at some schectors and they seem great for playability.

I don't really care for the floyd rose bridges. Kind of annoying on all the ones I've played for any length of time.

Mostly I like playing blues and classic rock, some alternative 90's stuff every now and then. Really the only genre I really don't dabble in is very heavy metal type stuff.

So, if someone can point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it. I know alot of the guys that play the music that I want to play play fender strats, they sound great, just don't feel right. Any suggestions on a great alternative?

My budget would be maxed out at around $1000.
A strat with a fat neck? Strats aren't all the same.

A telecaster with a fat neck?

Warmoth build?

Gibson with an old style neck? 61' SG perhaps?
Epiphone Elitist SG (Serious)
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
you mentioned you liked the schecters so why not look at them? Also for that price range i'd have to recommend some ESP guitars as well. The EC-1000 might be nice for you.

Current Gear

Gibson Flying V
Epiphone Les Paul Ultra
Jackson Professional Dinky
Fender Blues Deluxe
Vox Vt30

Mad Effects
Take a look at a Schecter tempest custom. Something like that seems right up your alley. Maybe even a Schecter PT.
What are you spending on an amp?

My usual suggestion for an early guitar would be a Yamaha Pacifica 112 as they're a great all round guitar for the money. A Schecter is a possibility or how about a Wasburn X50 or a Yamaha Pacifica 612?
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
Quote by Doadman
What are you spending on an amp?

My usual suggestion for an early guitar would be a Yamaha Pacifica 112 as they're a great all round guitar for the money. A Schecter is a possibility or how about a Wasburn X50 or a Yamaha Pacifica 612?

I already have a nice second hand marshall sitting at home. Don't really want to purchase any amps at this time.
Quote by IPlaySchecter
Take a look at a Schecter tempest custom. Something like that seems right up your alley. Maybe even a Schecter PT.

Just looked up the tempest custom, plan on trying it out later today. Love the way it looks and I did enjoy those pickups in the last one I tried out...
Quote by clicky234
I already have a nice second hand marshall sitting at home. Don't really want to purchase any amps at this time.

What kind of marshall amp? Solid state, hybrid, or all tube, and series of it?
Quote by darkcheef
What kind of marshall amp? Solid state, hybrid, or all tube, and series of it?

Marshall MG100DFX

Not the best amp in the world, and I hear that tube amps are the way to go, but it sounds good in my little practice room on my cheap strat, and the schecters i've played in the store sounded great on the same amp.
Quote by clicky234
Marshall MG100DFX

Not the best amp in the world, and I hear that tube amps are the way to go, but it sounds good in my little practice room on my cheap strat, and the schecters i've played in the store sounded great on the same amp.

You might be better off if you sold that amp for $400 something, and get a B-52AT112 60W all tube amp. Or if that's too loud then get a blackheart little giant 5W all tube half stack (its loud for 5w since its a tube). Then get a schecter c-1 classic or hellraiser (they are 2 great guitars).
Quote by eyebanez333

+1

I'm planning on buying one soon. Since you have a higher budget, look at the
AL-3000 models. Go to the Agile Thread > https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=651413&highlight=the+agile+thread < if you have any questions.

Quote by dullsilver_mike
The resonant frequency of the clitoris is too low for the guitar players to take care of.

Quote by jackers1234
you sir, have just won for this statement. =D

Young Knees