Does anybody roll back the two tone knobs on their stock Am Std Strat from 10 to 7 or 8 to simulate lower output (vintage 54-69 or whatever) Strat pickups? I tried this out recently and it sounds good to me, less harsh treble on the ears...obviously the chimey tone is lost slightly. I think it sounds good, but my question is whether or not that is an accurate method of emulating lower output pickups for versality's sake without actually swapping pickups.

Thanks in advance for your help and wisdom.
Doomsday Arsenal - alternative/progressive
Fender '08 Am Std Strat w/ CS69s > MXR Classic 108 Fuzz > JH-1B Wah > MXR Dyna Comp > EHX Big Muff Pi > Maxon OD9 > MXR Phase 90 > Ibanez CS9 > MXR Carbon Copy > Boss TU-2 > Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
not 100% on what you're asking, but the volume and tone knobs on a guitar are meant to be tweaked with, not always left on 10 or 0!

Personally, I almost never leave the tone knobs on my strat on 10 (or volume for that matter). Try messing with the volume knob as well, you get way more versatility.
My Gear:

Gibson SG Standard (heritage cherry)
Traynor YCV40WR
Korg Pitchblack
Fulltone Fulldrive 2

Blackstar HT-5 mini-stack
Fender MIM Strat (black)
Dunlop Crybaby
Personally I don't know why adjusting tone/volume on a guitar is so popular. I mean I use the volume knob to mute if I'm not playing, but I never turn it for a tone change. I feel it takes away from the dynamics and responsiveness of your amp, because the way I dial in my tone is such that I don't need to turn the volume in order to 'clean up' my tone, I just pick lighter. I find that a lot more subtleties can come out of your playing if you always play at max volume.
Quote by jackbauer
playing by yourself is like masturbating, sure it feels great, but it's nothing compared to the real deal.

Quote by guylee
Oh Shit! I Have A Weird Growth On My Body!

To The Pit!

JOIN MY GROUP plox

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/tonelife/
Quote by USAPeavey
Personally I don't know why adjusting tone/volume on a guitar is so popular. I mean I use the volume knob to mute if I'm not playing, but I never turn it for a tone change. I feel it takes away from the dynamics and responsiveness of your amp, because the way I dial in my tone is such that I don't need to turn the volume in order to 'clean up' my tone, I just pick lighter. I find that a lot more subtleties can come out of your playing if you always play at max volume.

In that case you have a very dynamic amp. With 'normal' amps, the volume knob is usually needed. The tone control is very handy for cutting through, when you need just a little bit more brightness. If you always keep it on 10, you lose that ability.
Last edited by mr_hankey at Jun 25, 2009,
Alright, thanks guys you said what I was hoping to hear. It seems to me that setting up a nice rhythm sound with your amp set in accord with your slightly tweaked tone/volume knobs, and then adjust the volume knob to 10 for leads would be an ideal method. What is a good rhythm volume in such a case? 8?
Fender '08 Am Std Strat w/ CS69s > MXR Classic 108 Fuzz > JH-1B Wah > MXR Dyna Comp > EHX Big Muff Pi > Maxon OD9 > MXR Phase 90 > Ibanez CS9 > MXR Carbon Copy > Boss TU-2 > Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Quote by mr_hankey
In that case you have a very dynamic amp. With 'normal' amps, the volume knob is usually needed. The tone control is very handy for cutting through, when you need just a little bit more brightness. If you always keep it on 10, you lose that ability.

Its just a little 15 watt Traynor. It can be pretty dynamic but nothing special. The trick is to crank it all the time I never have the volume below 9. I also run a POD through it and it sounds fantastic and doesn't blow my head off. I can jack up the amp and get the tube saturation (just short of breaking up) without the insane volume. I'm pretty happy with it.

But back to the original question I think tone knobs can be useful if you don't have a lot of other options for tonal variety, I have just never felt that they did anything good for me. I know some big players (Joe Bonamassa, EC, EJ, for example) that work magic with the volume/tone on their guitars, but I feel like I can do more with just changing my attack.
Quote by jackbauer
playing by yourself is like masturbating, sure it feels great, but it's nothing compared to the real deal.

Quote by guylee
Oh Shit! I Have A Weird Growth On My Body!

To The Pit!

JOIN MY GROUP plox

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/tonelife/
I think rolling the volume back a little works as well, and helps cut some treble too.

Most big name guys use a variety of volume and tone knob, playing (picking attack, picking position, pick/fingers, slide, etc) and even guitar/pup fluctuations to get the tone that they want. Whatever method/combination works for you
Quote by pak1351
I think rolling the volume back a little works as well, and helps cut some treble too.

Most big name guys use a variety of volume and tone knob, playing (picking attack, picking position, pick/fingers, slide, etc) and even guitar/pup fluctuations to get the tone that they want. Whatever method/combination works for you

Ya I can do without some treble, as I play Strat > Hot Rod Deluxe. Too much treble and your ears will bleed haha.
Quote by USAPeavey

I used to think this way, have you really tried exploring the "tonal possibilities" w/ the guitar tone and volume knobs and pu combos? Particularly with a clean tone dialed in, I think rolling off of the tone sounds much better, and as someone pointed out, most of the well-known guitarists use the on-guitar knobs!
My Gear:

Gibson SG Standard (heritage cherry)
Traynor YCV40WR
Korg Pitchblack
Fulltone Fulldrive 2

Blackstar HT-5 mini-stack
Fender MIM Strat (black)
Dunlop Crybaby
Quote by USAPeavey
Its just a little 15 watt Traynor. It can be pretty dynamic but nothing special. The trick is to crank it all the time I never have the volume below 9. I also run a POD through it and it sounds fantastic and doesn't blow my head off. I can jack up the amp and get the tube saturation (just short of breaking up) without the insane volume. I'm pretty happy with it.

Vintage Traynors are pretty gangster, dood.

To threadstarter, I don't know that it simulates that era of pickups, but I do know that the tone and volume knobs are powerful tone shaping tools that are often overlooked. Congrats to you for using them to your advantage!