Im looking for opinions on what i should look into doing. I really love the sound of a les paul but i cant get over how nice the neck on my strat feels. So im considering picking up a les paul copy such as an agile, or anything better thats under 1000.

Im a left handed player so finding a lefty Gibson for 1000 will be next to impossible for something nicer.

So should i upgrade the hell out of my strat, or just try to find a les paul?
Gibson SG Standard

Custom Monterey Strat with Half scallop and CS 69's

Marshall Class 5

EHX Big Muff
I wouldn't put too much money into the MIM Strat as it won't signifcantly up the value. Buying a second guitar you like isn't a bad idea either.
Moving on.....
Upgrading the strat shouldn't cost you $1k, and if that's the guitar you like it's the one I'd work on. Use whatever you have left over to get the LP copy or something else.

It was the only task I would undertake...

I P R O G
...to reap the harvest that was mine

- [ P R O G - H E A D ? ] -
what do you plan on doing to your stratocaster if you were to upgrade it?
I'm a dude, he's a dude, she's a dude, we're all dudes HEY!
Buy a cheap Agile (or Epiphone if you want to) LP and then upgrade the hell out the Strat.

$1000 is plenty of money to do that... There are some pretty good Epiphones that you can nearly change into a Gibson by doing some minor tweaks and putting on good pickups.
Epiphone G-400
Roland Cube 30X
Last edited by Royal_Brick at Jun 25, 2009,
A MIM strat and a Les Paul have a very different sound from each other and yet, they complement each other well. I would say go for the LP if you really want another guitar. However, upgrading your MIM strat will cost you less.

In my situation, I bought a epi goth g-400 then a MIM strat to have 2 different guitars with different sounds and feels. From now on, I'll only upgrade my guitars (pick-ups, etc...)

Hope this helps !
locking tuners, a callaham bridge and block, and some nice pickups, possibly some fralins or even dimarzio true velvets.
Gibson SG Standard

Marshall Class 5

EHX Big Muff
if you want a really nice guitar, get the esp ec-1000 in amber sunburst so you get the seymour duncan pups. amazing guitar for around $1000 with a neck that will be similar (smaller than gibson) to your strat. the only real upgrades you could get with the strat would be pickups/electronics and thats not gonna make a phenominal difference.

but the lp style guitar
Stay thirsty my friends...

Jackson DXMG Dinky
Bugera 333XL
ISP Decimator

Quote by thewho68
This thread is as of much use as Anne Frank's drumset.
The guitar needs to be left handed as well, thats why im having trouble finding a nice les paul
Gibson SG Standard

Marshall Class 5

EHX Big Muff
Quote by \m/, DylaN ,\m/
locking tuners, a callaham bridge and block, and some nice pickups, possibly some fralins or even dimarzio true velvets.

i'd say this is the best choice here. you can take a good guitar, make it amazing, and still have money left over...or get an pretty good second les paul type guitar
I'm a dude, he's a dude, she's a dude, we're all dudes HEY!
Quote by \m/, DylaN ,\m/
The guitar needs to be left handed as well, thats why im having trouble finding a nice les paul

If I were you, I would spend however much money you desire upgrading your strat, then buy something like this

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone-Les-Paul-100-Left-Handed-Electric-Guitar-101392157-i1150099.gc

or this

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone-Les-Paul-Standard-Left-Handed-Electric-Guitar-100128396-i1149997.gc

and then buy some badass pickups for them. You can really turn an Epiphone into a Gibson with a little bit of effort.
Epiphone G-400
Roland Cube 30X
Ive had epi's in the past and i just dont like the feel of them except for the neck on a g-310 i had which felt better than my old g400.

Ill most likely just upgrade my strat, but im still looking for a really nice all mahogany non chambered les paul with a real flame maple top not a veneer
Gibson SG Standard

Marshall Class 5

EHX Big Muff
Well yeah, it's all whatever you like and whatever feels good for you. But in my experience, Epiphones have turned out to be pretty solid guitars (if you buy the right kind, just read the reviews for the most part), and if you really want to go the extra mile, buy a set of Gibson humbuckers and your Epiphone will scream like a Gibson.

But whatever you like, just go try out some stuff.
Epiphone G-400
Roland Cube 30X
The only epi ive ever liked more than most Gibsons was a japanese epiphone a friend had, does anyone know any sites that sell the jap epiphone guitars?
Gibson SG Standard

Marshall Class 5

EHX Big Muff
Thanks for all the help, hopefully ill find something.
Gibson SG Standard

Marshall Class 5

EHX Big Muff