I recently acquired a Fender rumble 25 bass amp and when i turn the volume up past 5 with the bass/mid/treble turned to the middle, the amp will start to crack and vibrate with distortion resulting in a terrible sound when playing the E-string on the 10-14 frets. This also happens when i turn the bass/mid all the way to +15 and the treble to -15 with the volume at around 3, playing the same frets.

Is this normal? Or does the amp have something wrong with it? If it does, what can i do to fix it?

I run a Dean Playmate with a Prolink Bass Monster cable.
it's just a starter amp... check the screws in it and make sure they're tight... if so, check to see what is physically rattling.... then duct tape it
My Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone AJ
Ibanez Strat Copy

Amps:
Orange Tiny Terror Head
Old beaten up Peavey cab
Marshall MG30DFX
I have that amp, it does the same. It's meant as a practice amp so don't push it.
Quote by pwrmax
I have that amp, it does the same. It's meant as a practice amp so don't push it.

Ok, good to know. Have you ever used a bass equalizer pedal on it?

All screws are tight.
Last edited by CurlyFry at Jun 25, 2009,
I use an EQ with it, gets a cleaner tone. Not much louder though.
Quote by pwrmax
I use an EQ with it, gets a cleaner tone. Not much louder though.

which EQ Pedal do you use?

Im interested, so is the TS
"Black gives way to more black."

I have UG Black Style and I can barely read my signature.

Also, I like black.

~DawnwalkerALL HAIL COMRADE DAWNWALKER
Boss GE-7, meant for guitar but I like it better than the bass version.
Quote by pwrmax
Boss GE-7, meant for guitar but I like it better than the bass version.

When you hook that up to your rumble 25, do you use the effects loop? If so how do you connect it? I basically have no idea how to use the effects loop.
I tried the loop and putting it in front of the amp, didn't make much of a difference except that in front of the amp uses 1 less patch chord.
So to use the effects loop you use a cord going from the pedal to the preamp in, then from the pedal a cord going to the guitar and thats it?
Quote by CurlyFry
So to use the effects loop you use a cord going from the pedal to the preamp in, then from the pedal a cord going to the guitar and thats it?

Plug the send jack into the input of the pedal and plug the output of the pedal into the return jack.
Yea the Rumble series really does have that "rumble" from it being too weak to carry a deep signal. My Rumble 15 is notorious for that.
We Are 138!

lol

A effects loop works like this.

Bass>amp>effects send>pedal input>pedal ouput> Effects return.

you'll need three cables to run this setup.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
i have that same problem with the same amp, i can never get it loud to match other players in the band or it distorts and pops. :/
Quote by Wolfsblood138
Yea the Rumble series really does have that "rumble" from it being too weak to carry a deep signal. My Rumble 15 is notorious for that.

+1

my 15w rumble crapped out awhile ago. the 100w's doin fine though
no sig for joo
We have a rumble 60 in the basement and while it can keep up with a Peavey Classic 30, the tone noticeably alters, and sounds terrible when cranked :/
Schecter C-1 Classic
Marshall JCM900 100w w/1960 cab
Monster Effects: Mastortion user!
Yep, i got it for a steal though so its not as bad as it could be, i thought it had some good tone but the loudness of the amp is just horrible. At full volume ( but low enough so theres no distortion) with the bass EQ cranked its about normal practice level when your by yourself. Anything higher it starts to crap out.

Not a good buy at around $200.
Quote by tubatom868686
You need an amp with more wattage. End of story

Yep, that about sums it up. When i save up ill shoot for a 100 watt.
Quote by CurlyFry
Yep, that about sums it up. When i save up ill shoot for a 100 watt.

If I were you, Id wait until you could afford at least 200w
Quote by tubatom868686
If I were you, Id wait until you could afford at least 200w

Well, which amps should i be shooting for? I wanna stick to a combo amps so i can avoid the cost of buying a head.
Quote by CurlyFry
Well, which amps should i be shooting for? I wanna stick to a combo amps so i can avoid the cost of buying a head.

I love my Kustom KBA 200. Other members will make other valid recommendations too, but thats my choice