Ok, probably a stupid question.

When I'm playing in open tuning, say I'm in open G, should the root of the blues scale I'm playing be the same as the root note of my tuning, in this case G? Or is there a standard root note that is usually used no matter what the tuning(ie a root note of E)?

Thanks!

Also, what is the standard Blues Scale? I've seen a few different variations.

Here are three variations I've seen in E:

F, F#, G#, C, C#, D#

E, G, A, A#, B, D

E, G, A, A#, B, D, D#

sorry for piggybacking a second question
Last edited by revelator at Jun 25, 2009,
I'm not quite sure what you are trying to ask here.

The root note of the blues scale changes depending on what key you are playing in. And that holds true for any and all tunings.

You can be in open G and play a song in the key of D. Or A, or E or whatever you want.

Maybe you could clarify your question a bit more?
There may be times when it is impossible to prevent injustice, but there should never be a time when we fail to protest it.

Take a trip down the Scenic River

Call me Charlie.
Well, what is the most common key that blues is played in? I don't know alot about this, thats why my question may seem vague.

Also,
I have a book of blues songs and none of the songs which are in Open tuning are given a key, only the songs played in standard tuning are given a key. This has added to my confusion. Is there a reason for this?

Thanks
play in whatever key you want

pentatonic minor + b5

1 b3 4 b5 5 b7

E G A Bb B D
Last edited by ShoeFactory at Jun 25, 2009,
The blues can be played in any key at all. As far as I know, I would say that the most common keys are probably E, A, and maybe G. I think that may vary from player to player.

Hendrix loved to play the blues in keys like F#, B and C# (of course he tuned half a step down, so technically all of those are would be flat). BB King played the Thrill is Gone in C. It depends on the player and the singer.

This works the same for open tunings. You can tune your guitar to open G and then play a song in E. When you tune a guitar to an open tuning all that means is that if you strum all of the open strings you are getting a chord. For example, in open G if you strum the open strings you are getting a G major chord. I believe that open G gives you an A major shaped chord across the open strings. Someone who knows more about tunings may correct me.

Basically, you can take a guitar tuned to open G and play in any key you want, adjusting for the scales and chords. So, as far as I know, there really is no reason that I can see that your book would not give you any keys for the open tuning songs, unless the key was already stated before hand.
There may be times when it is impossible to prevent injustice, but there should never be a time when we fail to protest it.

Take a trip down the Scenic River

Call me Charlie.
Just because a guitar is tuned to E standard, doesn't mean that you have to exclusivly play in E.

You could tune that guitar to open G and not play a single G note if you felt like it.