Page 1 of 2
Me and my 2 friends might be pulling a band together, with one of them and me on guitar and one of them on drums.

There's a good chance that I'm going to be the rhythm guitarist, but.. This might seem a bit egotistic, but I don't want to just be chugging power chord riffs over and over.. (we like metal). Anyone know any good rhythm guitarists in bands (preferably metal) that don't just play the same damned riff over and over again, but sometimes also come in higher on the neck, not just at the lower part (ie higher than the 12th riffing/whatever) and maybe even joining in on the solos.

Any bands which has rhythm guitarists like these? And some of their good songs?

Oh yeah, and try and keep it so the rhythm guitarist doesn't/isn't the main singer, like james hetfield etc. Don't ask why
Last edited by Lollage123 at Jun 25, 2009,
I am also curious cuz Im in the same ship as TS
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Quote by VanTheKraut
I am also curious cuz Im in the same ship as TS

I just gave you the perfect band if you could solo good
Quote by Lollage123
Can't see, not in my country

Damn, then go on your youtube and type in holy wars.
Iunno about metal but Rhythm guitar is necessary to play lead guitar. If the other dude don't know his rhythm he won't be very good with lead.

Pearl Jam is a very fun band with fun to play rhythms and leads, but not exactly metal. Same with the Raconteurs.

Point is, don't just be chucking around power chords all the damend time. Start learning your theory with chords and chord changes so you can diversify your arsenal. Also, who really designates Rhythm/Lead guitar? I personally believe that it is a very open process in which a 5 man band (vocals, bass, drums, 2 guitar) can have 5 people doing lead parts. The bassist could slap on a fuzz like the big muff and go to town playing lead while the guitars play rhythm in octave with each other, or the drummer could play lead for a song if he comes up with one, even the vocalist humming notes with everyone else playing rhythm. Let the creative process find who is rhythm and who is lead from song to song

One last note: Rhythm doesn't always mean chords. You can still riff or do the 'blues' thing by playing a chord for a measure then transition to the next chord for a measure and so on.
Quote by manhangi
Iunno about metal but Rhythm guitar is necessary to play lead guitar. If the other dude don't know his rhythm he won't be very good with lead.

Pearl Jam is a very fun band with fun to play rhythms and leads, but not exactly metal. Same with the Raconteurs.

Point is, don't just be chucking around power chords all the damend time. Start learning your theory with chords and chord changes so you can diversify your arsenal. Also, who really designates Rhythm/Lead guitar? I personally believe that it is a very open process in which a 5 man band (vocals, bass, drums, 2 guitar) can have 5 people doing lead parts. The bassist could slap on a fuzz like the big muff and go to town playing lead while the guitars play rhythm in octave with each other, or the drummer could play lead for a song if he comes up with one, even the vocalist humming notes with everyone else playing rhythm. Let the creative process find who is rhythm and who is lead from song to song

One last note: Rhythm doesn't always mean chords. You can still riff or do the 'blues' thing by playing a chord for a measure then transition to the next chord for a measure and so on.

But we're focusing on the metal point of things. Going into 12 bar blues would be a bit weird
Quote by darkcheef
It worked, anyway pretty intense rhythm guitar right.

Yeah but mustaine may has wel have been the lead guitarist, the other dude didnt play any solos
In Flames, their older stuff like behind space '99 or Embody the Invisible. The rhythm harmonizes nicely with the lead instead of just playing chords most of the time. When the rhythm does 'just play chords' they're not normally the same chords as the bassline is playing so still interesting to play.
why dont you just alternate and both be Lead/Rythem players.... mix it up .. i hate when there are like strict ''lead'' and ''rythem'' players ... most bands i like they mix em up ... thats the best way to get outa the two guitarists ... use both their good strenths ... insted of limiting one to ''just power chords'' MKH and Corey Beaulieu from trivium (even tho most of you hate them... they're both really talented guitarists ... ) alternate between Leads and rythem parts .. its the best way to go
Quote by Lollage123
Yeah but mustaine may has wel have been the lead guitarist, the other dude didnt play any solos

You should go to earlier video's when Friedman was in the band, ohhh the neo classical shread solos
Quote by Lollage123
But we're focusing on the metal point of things. Going into 12 bar blues would be a bit weird

/points to Black Sabbath

you can still apply metal playing style, I'm saying apply that theory. Its' still seen a lot.

*E powerchord-E note G note A note-A powerchord A note, B note, C note, D powerchord* while that is still blues riffing with the notes I picked that is the idea. You're basically combining riffing with chords. I'm not good with metal but I know I hear it a lot.
I think Iron Maiden has some pretty cool rhythm stuff.
Gear :

Ibanez RG2570 (has yet to post pics)
Crap Wal-Mart guitar that came in a 70 buck starters pack.
Marshall MG15, I know
Quote by fishermanbob
I think Iron Maiden has some pretty cool rhythm stuff.

I don't think he has 3 guitarist
Rhythm guitar is not always chugging powerchords you know. I don't see the wrong in being rhythm guitar. Anyway like the above said, Megadeth has some pretty tough rhythm and even solos( for the rhythm guitar player). That said, you could always alternate Lead/Rhythm.
yeah, I think we'll alternate. I'm loving Megadeth now

Any other outstanding rhythm guitarists?

I'm also interested in the ones that don't sing.
Last edited by Lollage123 at Jun 25, 2009,
Quote by Lollage123

Oh yeah, and try and keep it so the rhythm guitarist doesn't/isn't the main singer, like james hetfield etc. Don't ask why

well why? you can sing and play some pretty crazy riffs...dont believe me?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQkYNXWXRzk

and if you do some singing...then the "boring power chords over and over" wont be as "boring" you know gigs arent just about playing....its also about a show...look at kiss. they suck and will be the first to admit it, but they were one huge band.

Quote by Lollage123

didnt dime use alot of blues structured stuff?
Last edited by xXMetal-HeadXx at Jun 25, 2009,
Quote by xXMetal-HeadXx
well why? you can sing and play some pretty crazy riffs...dont believe me?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQkYNXWXRzk

and if you do some singing...then the "boring power chords over and over" wont be as "boring" you know gigs arent just about playing....its also about a show...look at kiss. they suck and will be the first to admit it, but they were one huge band.

Yeah that video wasn't even james hetfield, it wasn't even metallica.
Dimebag also did use blues structuring.

Pretty much everything thats' good in metal can be traced back to things the blues invented.
Yeah,that video wasn't the best IMO.

no offence.

Just wanted to see the ones that don't sing, not that much of a big deal.

Who are some of the best?
Quote by manhangi

Pretty much everything thats' good in metal can be traced back to things the blues invented.

Same with a lot of rock, without blues there would be no metal
But there´s a difference between blues influence and scales vs. full blown 12 bar blues.
Avenged Sevenfold is a good example of this. there are a lot of harmonized parts in their solos that their rhythm guitarist does. Bullet For My Valentine as well, a lot of harmonized parts.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
Quote by randomhero93
Avenged Sevenfold is a good example of this. there are a lot of harmonized parts in their solos that their rhythm guitarist does. Bullet For My Valentine as well, a lot of harmonized parts.

Links/names of songs?
Quote by Lollage123
Links/names of songs?

pretty much all of their songs
I play Lacrosse, you should too
Quote by reeses
heed this man's suggestion, for he is wise.

Aww shucks...

Quote by Tom 1.0
Oh and wait for the Schecter fan boys, if you listen real hard you can already hear them coming.
Why don't you both just share roles? Both guitarists (myself being one of them) in my band are Rythm/leads, we switch up when ever one of us wants a solo or wants to really punch the airwaves in the face with a chunky riff etc, haven't had any conflict at all.
Jackson DK2M
Washburn WD-18SW
Ibanez RGR421EXFM
Genz Benz El Diablo 100w -> Framus Dragon 412
Boss GE-7
Ibanez TS-9
Last edited by James13v at Jun 25, 2009,
Quote by Lollage123
Links/names of songs?

A7X: Bat Country
Ungoly Confessions
Lost
Dear God

BFMV: Say Goodnight (intro solo's from the rhythm guitarist)
Ashes Of the Innocent
One Good reason why (harmonized riffs)
Watching Us Die Tonight (harmonized solo/riffs)

EDIT:

Quote by Metalfan41
pretty much all of their songs

yeah, pretty much...
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
Quote by Vlasco
But there´s a difference between blues influence and scales vs. full blown 12 bar blues.

Yes and yes, but I never mentioned to try 12 bar blues o_o

Alice in Chains might be worth checking out too.
Quote by manhangi

This. Notice how the blues player can shred just like the metal player, but the metal player can't keep up with the blues player?

You said that you're focusing on the metal point of things. There would be no metal without blues. Don't be so one dimensional. If you don' think jazz/blues go well with metal, listen to Sleep Terror.

I don't understand the rhythm and lead thing. I was always considered a lead player, but love rhythm. What I love more is harmonizing small lead riffs with the other player. It shouldn't be one or the other designated as "lead" and "rhythm" I think there should be an option to change it up for different songs.

Nothing like a chugga chugga boom ... drop to clean and rip up pattern 1 of the minor pentatonic scale in the 5th position. I love that ****
Listen to Megadeth - Looking Down the Cross.
Guitars

- Epiphone Les Paul Standard Ebony Finish
- Hohner Hc-06 Classical guitar

Amplifiers

-Roland Cube 30x
Effects
- Vox Wah-wah
Dude look at Behemoth. Nergal and Seth switch between lead and rhythm all the time. You could do the same thing with your friend. Instead of having a distinct 'lead' and 'rhythm' setup just have two guitarists that play both.

Less tension between guitarists and can bring more interesting sounds to the band with two people writing parts.
Schecter C-1 Classic Raven RG20 + Digitech RP50

Man, I could go for a 7 right now...
I watched Between the Buried and Me's Colors DVD. At one point, both guitarists and the bass was playing the same complex riff. It was mindblowing that every member of their band can play lead and is good at it. Paul Waggoner is the star of BtBaM but every member is incredibly talented. The singer has the most diverse voice ever.

Other bands that come to mind are All that Remains and Unearth. I think it really comes down to the skill of the players. The members will only play what they can physically play. If they can't keep up with the lead player, they'll obviously play something else.
Maybe a bit OT but why do so many people on UG like Avenged7X so much...and bands like ATR, etc.

I'm not saying im a better player than them but really...theres such better music out there
Schecter C-1 Classic Raven RG20 + Digitech RP50

Man, I could go for a 7 right now...
Well there are some odd examples, here's a song in which both lead and rythm guitar are playing in sync.

Nightwish - Amaranth
The Gear:

Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Yamaha RGX A2
PRS Custom 24 SE
Amps:
VOX AD100
VOX AD15
WTB: Line 6 Vetta II
Rack:
Shure PGX Wireless system